Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • San Francisco recommendations
  • moff

Got a few days in San Francisco soon, any recommendations where to stay, budget end but maybe not hostels.

Anywhere I really have to go and see, beyond Golden Gate, Alcatraz type tourist hot spots?

Then it should be a trip up the Pacific highway to the main destination of my trip.

Cheers

peteimpreza

Roaring mouse cycles

boblo
    Free Member

Last time, we rented a tandem and biked accross the Golden Gate then got the ferry back from Sausalito. A day out in Nappa is also good if you like yer grog.

I normally stay at the W but it's not a budget hotel.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Go to the Museum of Modern Art
    Go on a trolley car

I stayed here a few years ago. Decent hotel which has a bit of character (hate chain hotels), very close to Union Sq, service was excellent, food wasn't great, but eat out.

ojom
    Free Member

The San Remo hotel is good. Really nice there actually.

Go to Mission and Castro. Great area, loads of nice places to eat, also, check out the vast array of sushi bars.Oh and +1 on the MOMA

RepacK
    Free Member

+1 Roaring Mouse. Chris is a brit & a really nice guy. For riding try this clicky (good singletrack loop) and this clicky. Both about 40 mins from town. In SF you could try this clicky.

Try this for beers is your in Fairfax clicky & say hi to Murphy the owner – hes a friend.

jond
    Free Member

Pretty sure the San Remo is where the GF and I stayed some years ago – nice place and not like a big hotel chain.

http://www.sanremohotel.com/san-remo-hotel-location.php

If you like decent (real) ale there's (or was) a pretty good brew pub a few doors away from the City Lights (?) bookshop, nr the junction of Broadway St and Columbus Ave. (corner of Jack Kerouac Aly).

Spongebob
    Free Member

The Saloon, no 1232 on Grant Avenue/Fresno Street. In the Chinese quarter next to the financial district. One of the oldest bars in San Fran which has a rude barman, the place stinks of rotting wood and the toilets are like a dungeon leading down to hell itself, but,, the live blues bands which perform in there are the finest you will find anywhere in the world. I had one of the best nights out in my life in this venue. $5 cover charge – bargain!

MSN City Guides – San Francisco. The Saloon

Giordiano's across the street also has some good bands. They do good food in there too.

A cablecar ride is a must ($5)

I'd take a boat rip round the bay from Pier 39 ($15).

Love San Fran!!

igm

We stayed in Hotel Boheme. Nice place if you like that sort of thing

theotherjonv

Mitchell Brothers on O'Connell St is all my mate goes on about when SF is mentioned. Might not be suitable if the wife is going, I wasn't allowed when I was there on honeymoon…..

supinerider
    Free Member

Hotel Fusion. Nice enough and pretty cheap depending on who you book through. Very central.

There's a black sand beach that's down on your left as you cross the Golden Gate – it's got a great view of the city and the bridge and it's pretty quiet. Nice place to sit and watch the seals and pelicans. It's just a short trip if you hire a bike.

Avoid hiring from the bike place by the water in Oakland. They take a HUGE deposit without telling you, leaving your card blocked by your bank 🙁

Personally I thought MoMA was a letdown. Expensive too.

Coasting
    Free Member

Have a good wonder around the city theres lots of interesting areas and dont forget Haight Ashbury its still interesting also the wine areas not that far away and worth a look.City has a really cool urban bike culture with lots of interesting niche bike shops.

Ben_mw

I can second johnd's recommendation on the pub – if it's still there. (It was nearly 10 years since I was there mind). Very good beer, and had one of the best meals I had the whole time I was in the States, even if was only a Burger. Somewhere nearby is (was) a restaraunt called The Stinking Rose, I remember that as being pretty good too, if you like Garlic – everything has the stuff in it.

2tyred

The Phoenix Hotel is really good – a former motel converted into a boutique type place, arty and cheap and a favourite with touring bands etc.

Haight-Ashbury's worth seeing but unpleasant to spend too much time around. Alcatraz is good, as is a walk or ride over the Golden Gate and up the Marin headlands. GG panhandle park is nice.

Cannot recommend happy hour cocktails at the Tonga Room (Fairmont hotel) enough – quite phenomenally kitsch. It rains inside!

Best restaurants, bars etc are in the Mission/Castro. Loads of bike shops too. A walk up around Nob hill is a good way to spend a bit of time.

ourmaninthenorth

Last time Mrs North went she stayed at the Intercontinental in a suite with a view over the bay. I wasn't at all jealous….

As well as working, she just spent her time wandering around – her fave bookshop in the world is Browser Books on Fillmore St.

Oh, and second riding across the bridge and then up onto the headland to look back down on it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I know you said maybe not hostels but the Fort Mason hostel at Fishermans Wharf does double rooms.

I know when we were looking at the budget end of the range, this was in by far the best position, and came with the added bonus of free parking which is somewhat unusual in San Francisco (may not make a difference to you)

http://www.sfhostels.com/fishermans-wharf/

atlaz
    Free Member

Last time I stayed at the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf. Nothing is really far from anything in SF so it was fine. There's loads of good eating but if you like something a little lighter and relaxing try the Samovar http://samovarlife.com/menu/ (there's one on top of the Moscone Centre).

Oh, and if the weather's good, go see a baseball game. Providing you're not a hater, it's a really nice field and you can get a good beer (albeit a pricy one) and hopefully a decent game.

Pigface
    Free Member

+2 for visiting the Mice, just across the road is a brilliant falafel shop.

I stayed in a true dive of a motel, the room next door seemed to be involved in some kind of gay roman orgy. Just grunts and growls all night it did sound utterly depraved and 3 blokes left in the morning.

The Mission district was pretty cool with a brilliant mexican restraunt that I cant remember the name of.

iDave
    Free Member

lombard street, mission street, the pier, treasure island at night, amazing view of the city, half moon bay – watch the sunset from the beach with a beer, one my fave places anywhere in the world.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I'd stay here http://www.bearvinn.com/

Its out of town over in Marin. Great for biking. Head out to Fairfax then over on Francis Drake Blvd to Olema.

Hook up with Charlie Kelly and arrange a ride.

BigJohn

If you're going to San Francisco
    be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

grievoustim
    Free Member

when I was there with the family in April last year, we used the open top tourist bus tour thing. It sounds cheesy but it was actually very good – buses doing laps of the city with a recorded commentary on local history etc. Then you could just hop off when a place takes your fancy, then get back on the bus when you are ready (buses come by every half hour or so). Bus goes over the GGB, past the park, chinatown, north beach etc so you can get a good feel for the city over the course of a day. Then maybe use the cable cars to visit places that take your fancy in more detail on other days.

UncleFred
    Free Member

+1 The Phoenix Hotel, on the edge of the Tenderloin and Little Korea. Couple of good restaurants nearby and walking distance to Union Square.

Bus stop right outside too, which comes in handy at night.

Just don't walkout the hotel and walk down the street on the right, it get's pretty shady down there….

I rented a full bouncer from one of the shops near fishermans wharf and went for a play in Marin County. Twas fun..

ebygomm
    Free Member

View from our room at the youth hostel

Are you going up (north) the Pacific highway or down?

bassspine
    Free Member

go over to Sausalito and visit the Bay Model. it's as cool as a very cool thing.

organic355
    Free Member

OK, I lived there for 5 years, and here is my non tourist guide that I usually give to people who are going to SF:

The Non Tourist Guide to San Francisco

Here's a quick list of all the non-tourist neighborhoods, restaurants bars etc that I was fond of when I lived in San Francisco.

Noe Valley (Nice neighbourhood where I used to live)
    Sandwiched in between the Mission (Mexican district) and the Castro (Gay District) its a real eclectic mix of people, one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, hence more push chairs per person!!
    24th St (between Church & Castro).
    Get Outbound J-Train underground from Powell Station. get off at 24th st.
    Martha’s – THE Best Coffee in San Francisco (Church & 27th) but I am biased as it was my local. There is also another one on 24th Street close to the shops. You should also try their pumpkin bread its delicious. Family run business from Guatemala I believe. Just the smell of their coffee wakes you up when you walk in. If you are at the 24th St shop you could also go a few doors down to the Bagel shop. http://www.marthabros.com/
    Farmers Market some Saturdays
    Few good clothes shops & book shops.
    The church on 29th & Church is where they film the Whoopee Goldberg film "Sister Act" and is opposite my old apartment.
    Also check out Dolores park & Church & 18th. Great for just chilling out and great panoramic views over the city. this is the edge of the Castro too so don’t be surprised if you see lots of "butch" men sunbathing in their underwear!!!!
    Pomelo restaurant is excellent (Church and 30th)
    Sushi Bar over road is best in town. Super trendy – Deep Sushi, DJ's at the weekends. Great Tempura.
    Regent Thai on Corner is also great, very cheap and authentic with friendly staff.
    Alice’s @ 29th & Sanchez – Hunan (spicy Chinese) is great. Eric’s (sister restaurant) on Church is also good.
    Savor on 24th street is casual but good food (try the Bangkok salad)
    Mexican few doors down is good too.
    Italian restaurant opposite Martha’s on Church street is great food, even better wine, but quite pricey. Tip: sit at the bar and chat to the barman, he has great recommendations for wine etc.

Mission District (Mexican District)

Don’t be put off by its grungy appearance, is quite safe, but keep your wits about you at night, lots of the best restaurants and bars are hidden away here!!
    Delfina – Italian $$ Mission District (18th @ Guerrero)
    Limon -Peruvian Mission District (Valencia @ 16th)
    Destino – Peruvian (Market @ Guerrero)
    Cha Cha Cha on Valencia St (in Mission district), Fantastic Tapas, atmosphere and muchas tequilas!!
    Next door is also a great restaurant.
    Next St over, Valencia St is also good for a bit of alternative shopping, right in the heart of the Mexican district, loads of cool (and
    dive) bars & restaurants to explore. You haven’t had a burrito until you have had one in the mission district. My favorite is "Mariachis".
    Ethiopian restaurant on Valencia is also great if you don’t mind eating with your hands!!

Castro (Gay district)
    Anything goes here, and I mean ANYTHING.
    Lots of good restaurants
    Luna on Castro
    Catch(seafood) upper market
    Zao Noodle
    Peets Coffee
    Mecca (On Market)
    Good clothes shops

Fillmore/Pacific heights
    Fillmore St in Pacific Heights (Jackson thru' Sutter) This is the Jazz district and there is a Jazz festival every year. If you can catch a concert at "The Fillmore" its not to be missed.
    The Grove – on Fillmore st good for lunch and a pint of wheat beer (Hefferwiessen)
    Café Kati – Pacific Heights @Sutter & Fillmore – one of our favorites for dinner, book in advance, California/Asian fusion, Dragon Rolls not to be missed. http://www.cafekati.com/
    Peets (on Fillmore) – Good coffee (Remember Friends don’t let friends go to Starbucks, you support the smaller coffee shops when in San Francisco). http://www.peets.com/
    Noah's bagels various shops around the city. http://www.noahs.com/index2.html

Hayes Valley
    Great for shopping (shoes, clothes designer furniture), a few nice restaurants dotted about.
    Frjtz is great for lunch, Belgian cafe with a back patio that does crepes, great sandwiches and cones of fries with lots of different types of sauces/dips to try.
    Don’t go much further up the street past Frjtz as you will in up in quite a dangerous area!!! 😮

Marina District / Chestnut St
    Marina district, where the beautiful people and wanna be rich and famous live (Fillmore thru' Broderick)
    The Grove – Pub/Cafe great for lunch and a pint of wheat beer (hefferweisen).
    Zao Noodle – Cheap and tasty Noodle bar.
    Matrix Bar – Uber trendy.

The Haight district (by Golden gate park)
    Worth checking out for some alternative shopping (if you need to pick up a few bongs and a tie die t-shirt).
    There are also some cool shops (Stussy etc).
    There is also another Cha cha cha on Haight St too (jugs of Sangria a must after the long walk).

Downtown/Financial District
    We didn’t really spend much time downtown, but you may like the "cheesecake factory" at the top of Macy’s for the sheer American-ness of the portion sizes, food is OK, but a good view over union square.
    Sony Metreon (Huge Cinema & cafes) – 4th & Mission. Lots of options. Sushi, Pizza, Noodles, burritos etc. Tip: Get some food from the downstairs food court, but get it to go. Head over to the lift and get it to the top floor, there is a roof terrace overlooking yerba Buena gardens, fine spot for lunch, but watch out for the seagulls!!
    Belden Lane -Plouf: FRENCH great fish and mussels.
    Specialties bakery – Great sandwiches to go, and freshly baked cookies to Die for (try the oatmeal wheat germ or the choccy chip).

Polk St
    (Pacific Heights/Russian hill), Another good place for food and shops is but stay away from the Market st end unless you are looking for a lady (or lady boy) of the night ;-).
    Peets Coffee.
    Spoon.
    Olive. (dodgy end but great pizzas)

Russian Hill
    Za's Pizza
    Coit Tower
    Tonic

Nob Hill
    Top of the Mark @ the Mark Hopkins Hotel on 4th Street (at top of hill) – great panoramic views of the city but probably just stay for one cos the drinks will be $$$$.
    Marriott – just off Market – Top floor there's a bar with great views.

Tenderloin/Civic Centre
    The Tenderloin/Civic Centre is essentially the theatre district of San Francisco. Ovoid getting a hotel here at all costs. While there are theatres, it is also home to all of the drug addicts/homeless people in San Francisco. Dangerous at night and stinks.!!
    There a re a few nice places dotted around in this area. But really not worth it.

Tender nob / Noberloin. (Yes they are real districts – only really know to locals)
    This is the transitional Zone between the Tenderloin and Nob Hill.
    Few nice restaurants nice bars and seedy bars dotted about.
    Red Room
    A trip to the redwood rooms (the bar at the CLIFT hotel) would also be an experience, full of SF's rich and wanna be famous, but be prepared to hand over and arm, leg and first born for a round of drinks, but hey with they exchange rate, everything is half price
    Foleys (Irish Pub)
    Ruby Skye – Club

North Beach:
    Tourist also go to North beach as it is known as the Italian district, I wouldn’t bother, we never had a decent Italian meal there, strictly for the tourists, but there are a few good Irish bars and Italian coffee houses there.
    Stinking Rose – garlic flavored everything – garlic ice cream anyone?

Fisherman’s wharf:
    At all costs avoid Fisherman’s Wharf, OK its not that bad, but one you have been there once you probably wont go back. Get your cruises to Alcatraz here and you get to see the famous Pier 39 and the stinky sea lions (yes they really do stink). There is a bar there with over 100 beers on draught, cant remember what it is called, but I recommend trying the beer "El Torro Poppy Jasper". Fantastic stuff. Also if you are a seafood fan try the Clam Chowder.

Embarcadero
    Slanted Door – Vietnamese Restaurant at the Ferry Terminal Lunch or Dinner ( you will likely need a reservation for dinner). Quite expensive but worth it.
    Gordon Biersch Microbrewery : http://www.gordonbiersch.com_ Embarcadero @ Harrison (great views of the Bay) Not bad food, specialty is the garlic fries.

SOMA
    Crossroads – Embarcadero @ Delancy (might be an option if your heading to CAL-TRAIN to San Jose). The N-Judah will take you there (stop before the ballpark is crossroads – Harrison St (I think.)
    Thai Basil – SOMA (Folsom @ 7th)
    Maya (classy Mexican & great margaritas)

Parks/Walks
    Golden Gate Park
    Golden Gate Bridge – some restrictions, check opening time.
    Palace of Fine Arts – Marina
    Crissy Fields – Marina
    Yerba Buena Gardens (downtown 4th & Mission behind Sony Metreon).
    Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) at end of gardens on 3rd. Great museum shop.
    Ocean Beach (End of Golden Gate Park) – get the Outbound N Train underground from Powell to the end of the line.

Useful websites:
    http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com_ Good web site for the city.
    http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/mms/home/home50.htm_ Bus/Muni routes – you can get a pass for the week.

http://www.bikeroute.com/BlazingSaddle.htm_
    Bike rental – Suggest cycle across the GG Bridge down to Salsaulito/Tiberon then get the ferry back (serve cold beers and G&Ts) OR cycle thru' Golden Gate Park to Ocean Beach.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Not much point posting after that comprehensive list.
    But I thoroughly enjoyed the stinking rose, specially the garlic ice cream

cynic-al
    Free Member

I stayed in Noe VAlley one summer, ace, go to Noe Valley Cyclery and say you know al.

I also stayed in the Art Hotel which was cool.

moff

Wow, tons of stuff there (cheers organic). Shame I'm only going to be there for a couple of days.

ebygomm – North up the coast, may explore the Redwood forests on the way as well.

Cheers for the pointers.

RustySpanner

If you like music, try Rasputins record store on Powell St.
    Best secondhand CD/DVD place going.
    Makes the Vinyl Exchange in Manchester look like Woolies.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘San Francisco recommendations’ is closed to new replies.