• This topic has 272 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 273 total)
  • same sex marridge cake
  • ransos
    Free Member

I must have missed the 11th commandment, thou shalt not bake homocakes. You can not approve of in gay marriage all you want but they’re not being asked to approve gay marriage, they’re being asked to bake a cake.

Presumably, the bakery also refuses to bake cakes for menstruating women…

poah
    Free Member

Are nazis a persecuted minority group that thanks to years of discrimination require the protection of the law?

the swastka is much more than a symbol stolen by the nazi’s.

totalshell

a simple ”no i dont want to do that” would suffice surely. as artisan cake makers they cant be forced to make any cake there asked to.
    i am am often asked to work in properties and its certainly something i ve said before.

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, even nazi’s have a right to freedom of political belief and expression: http://www.theguardian.com/law/2012/nov/06/bnp-bus-driver-wins-legal-case

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Interesting that the Christian Institute is involved in this. Absolute nutcases obsessed with preventing any steps towards equality for the LGBT community. I’m on a phone so links are a PITA – but just googling the list of challenges they’ve brought over the last decade tells you all you need to know about them. If Political Correctness makes life difficult for this group and its members, then go for it. I hope the bakery is dragged through the court. Arseholes.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

thou shalt not bake homocakes

😆

GrahamS

i ve refused to work in brothels and other ‘establishments’ only recently.

If my boss asked me to become a prostitute I’d probably say no too.

Probably.

ransos
    Free Member

the swastka is much more than a symbol stolen by the nazi’s.

Yes, I’m aware of that.

Well, even nazi’s have a right to freedom of political belief and expression: http://www.theguardian.com/law/2012/nov/06/bnp-bus-driver-wins-legal-case

Did the bus driver refuse to allow black passengers on his bus?

emsz
    Free Member

As a point of order my wedding cake will have NO **** rainbows anywhere near it, it will be much more fabulous than that, possibly with swastikas and 40mph signs and perhaps a wind farm or two ( battery operated so they go round and round and with dead seagulls on them)

singletrackmind

Marridge WTAF Marriage even not porridge

Standards are slipping if we get to page #2 before the spelling police get involved
    Maybe its a Gay intolerant cake , some people are Lactose intolerant, some people are gluten intolerant , some people are gay intolerant.

tonyd

So when they successfully gain the moral high ground will they insist that the bakers then bake their cake? I’m sure that’ll end well.

Remove the moral outrage about persecuting homosexuals and it becomes a complete non-story IMO. Doesn’t any shop keeper have the right to refuse service?

Also, a cake with popular childrens characters next to the logo of a (presumably) gay rights campaign group, as a parent should I feel outraged at this? Surely this was intended to provoke somebody if not the baker.

ransos
    Free Member

Remove the moral outrage about persecuting homosexuals and it becomes a complete non-story IMO. Doesn’t any shop keeper have the right to refuse service?

Well yes, discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is the story. And no, a shopkeeper doesn’t have the right to treat someone differently because they are gay.

GrahamS

As a point of order my wedding cake will have NO **** rainbows anywhere near it

Point of order two: this wasn’t a weddindge or marridge cake – it was just cake featuring a pro-gay marriage slogan (and campaign logo) requested by a gay rights activist specifically to get this reaction (and good on him too).

possibly with swastikas and 40mph signs

You’ll have to make the 40mph signs really big or no one will see them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also, a cake with popular childrens characters next to the logo of a (presumably) gay rights campaign group, as a parent should I feel outraged at this?

Only if you think that the 2 characters who live together and share a bedroom as adults are not actually gay. Anyway why is it wrong for children to see gay characters? Is there something morally outrageous about gay couples?

GrahamS

Remove the moral outrage about persecuting homosexuals and it becomes a complete non-story IMO.

Same as apartheid really eh?

Also, a cake with popular childrens characters next to the logo of a (presumably) gay rights campaign group, as a parent should I feel outraged at this?

No. But you are free to do so.

This might help:

emsz
    Free Member

Graham good point, while a rumble with the bridesmaid in the loos is absolutely what every weddinge needs, no ones going to be pleased if they don’t know what speed the cake should be doing.

poah
    Free Member

Is there something morally outrageous about gay couples

so long as they are two attractive females “acting” in a movie it’s ok lol

GrahamS

while a rumble with the bridesmaid in the loos is absolutely what every weddinge needs

By “rumble”, do you mean “fight” or …?

emsz
    Free Member

Hovers over the report button

GrahamS

Put the hoover down emsz.

emsz
    Free Member

Graham….no, not fighting. If you haven’t had a bridesmaid at the end of the weddingde/marrridgde then either she’s not drunk enough or your pulling powers aren’t up to much

AdamW
    Free Member

so long as they are two attractive females males “acting” in a movie it’s ok lol

FTFY

poah
    Free Member

AdamW – Member

so long as they are two attractive females males “acting” in a movie it’s ok lol

FTFY

like brad pitt and george clooney in oceans 11?

GrahamS

Graham….no, not fighting.

You kids and your slang. In my day “rumble” meant fight.

Still that puts a very different slant on

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXZmtg7GwI[/video]

If you haven’t had a bridesmaid at the end of the weddingde/marrridgde then either she’s not drunk enough or your pulling powers aren’t up to much

My bridesmaid was my sister. She didn’t get that drunk!

poah
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Put the hoover down emsz.

and pick up a dish cloth?

DezB
    Free Member

If you haven’t had a bridesmaid at the end of the weddingde/marrridgde then either she’s not drunk enough or your pulling powers aren’t up to much

Or they’re your nieces?

tonyd

Anyway why is it wrong for children to see gay characters?

It’s not, but why is it so important to point out to a five year old that they’re gay? It never occurred to me that they might be gay, when did they come out? Morcambe and Wise appeared on TV sharing a bed, were they gay too?

Same as apartheid really eh?

Well, no not really. A baker doesn’t want to bake a cake for someone, he’s not inciting anything as far as I can tell, he just doesn’t want to bake a cake for someone.

Some people don’t like homosexuals, flouncing and trying to force them to like homosexuals is likely to be counter productive don’t you think?

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s pretty obvious the order was placed there to get a reaction.

The company reacted.

There is only one winner – the lawyers.

AdamW
    Free Member

like brad pitt and george clooney in oceans 11?

I don’t recall Pitt/Clooney having adult fun in the men’s room, I’ll have to check that out again to see what I’ve missed…!

and pick up a dish cloth?

Err, that can be considered out of order. Can you clarify? Don’t dis the Emsz!

GrahamS

It’s not, but why is it so important to point out to a five year old that they’re gay?

You don’t “point out” anything – that’s the point. It’s normal.

> Same as apartheid really eh?

Well, no not really. A baker doesn’t want to bake a cake for someone, he’s not inciting anything as far as I can tell

Apartheid isn’t “inciting” anything either – everything would be fine if those black people would stop making such a fuss and stick to their own drinking fountains etc.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

Quite ridiculous this, As its a bespoke piece it should be in the bakers remit to take or not take the commision the same way an artist decides what to paint.
    What about the bakers rights, should they be forced to do something against there beliefs to conform to society.
    I don’t think so, its in the shop owners rights to refuse service, they should however have been far cleverer about how they did this.

mefty
    Free Member

These cases are quite difficult in my view because whilst gays have a right not to be discriminated against, the religious also have protection under the Equality Act 2010, so whose rights trump whose when they conflict or should a middle ground be found? Whilst I am not sure of the answer, I am pretty sure that activists purposely, to use forum terminology, trolling over a relatively frivolous item is not the best way to either develop the law or gain greater sympathy for their cause. (This is equally the case for the Christian groups that do the equivalent). I am sure that there are more important cases that could be pursued with the public money that will be spent if it goes to court.

emsz
    Free Member

Ok so no shagging the relleys, fair point. I’m just bragging that I’m 2 for 2 this summer.

[boom Chica waah waah]

Some people don’t like homosexuals, you mean the thought of homosexuality? Right? I mean how would you tell otherwise? What if they came into your shop and wanted a nazi themed rainbow marridged cake. Then you’d be all conflicted and shit.

Didn’t think of that!!!

Busted

GrahamS

I’m just bragging that I’m 2 for 2 this summer.

Pics or it didn’t happen… 😉

Seriously though, will you be trying for 3 for 3 at your own wedding … ?

konabunny
    Free Member

Quite ridiculous this, As its a bespoke piece it should be in the bakers remit to take or not take the commision the same way an artist decides what to paint.

There was in fact a very well argued case in the US Supreme Court recently about whether a wedding photographer was entitled to decline commissions for gay marriages because she didn’t like gays. The outcome was the court said – it’s business, not art, and you should do what you’re in business to do according to the law. (I might have remembered everything backwards).

Can’t believe it’s made the BBC news, to be honest.
    Wouldn’t you just go to a different cake shop?

“Sorry, pal, we won’t write “happy communion”, maybe youse should try a Tim cake shop, eh?”

GrahamS

Whilst I am not sure of the answer, I am pretty sure that activists purposely, to use forum terminology, trolling over a relatively frivolous item is not the best way to either develop the law or gain greater sympathy for their cause.

Maybe, but it made headlines and got all of us talking about it – so I’d say job done really.

emsz
    Free Member

Nashwaymule, they make cakes…for weddings…they can’t just pick and chose what laws they feel like.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I agree the shop owner should be free to refuse service to anyone he wants. It’s discrimination, yes, and religion IMO is a fool, and a divisive fool at that. As a graphic designer and vegetarian (in past years) I’ve refused (as an individual) to do jobs for butchers, yet Iknew that someone else in the company would do the job. When a company refuses to make something they obviously have a policy and should make that clear in their adverts/point of sale to save confusion.

We have a right to be free, and a right to be offended, but where do we stop taking people’s rights away to manufacture or not manufacture based upon idealogy/discrimination? i’d love a good concise answer to this, but haven’t seen one yet.

GrahamS

What about the bakers rights, should they be forced to do something against there beliefs to conform to society.

Yes.

They run a business, offering a service to the public.
    They should not be allowed to refuse that service based on someone’s sexuality, religion or ethnicity.

Do you think it would be okay for a golf club to refuse to accept black people as members?

I don’t think so, its in the shop owners rights to refuse service, they should however have been far cleverer about how they did this.

Nah. At least they had the balls to publicly stand by their beliefs, even if I think they are misguided.

miketually
    Free Member

The baker said the bible is clearly against homosexuality, but they sell sausage rolls.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘same sex marridge cake’ is closed to new replies.