• This topic has 272 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 273 total)
  • same sex marridge cake
  • poah
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581

think they took the cake there on purpose to get a reaction lol

on a side note this PC crap goes too far.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

They discriminated on the design of the cake, not of the customer. If a straight couple had asked for that design it still would of been refused.

AdamW
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious.

iolo
    Free Member

PC crap? So you agree with the bakery?

DezB
    Free Member

..cake featuring the Sesame Street puppets, Bert and Ernie

Til I read it I thought they’d asked for an image of a sex act or something!

GrahamS

think they took the cake there on purpose to get a reaction lol

Yes, obviously. Good on them.

Yeah what’s wrong with a bit of good old discrimination eh?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Was it a fudge cake?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Always good to know where the intolerance is.

scruff
    Free Member

Good to see someone sticking up for what they believe in.

DezB
    Free Member

Was it a fudge cake?

I must be an intolerant, cos I laughed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not a comment on the fudge cake gag…

More on the people who choose to discriminate.

ninfan
    Free Member

What a bunch of idiots – they should have just refused on copyright grounds and that would have been the end of it!

sssimon
    Free Member

The order was placed as they knew they’d get a reaction, the company (which I have no connection to but live locally so I’m well aware of their stance) have refused other work in the past that they didn’t feel they could put their name to.

If I went to a baker and asked to make a jesus/allah/giant flying spaghetti monster cake and they baker wasn’t comfortable with it as he was of another faith I’d be pretty sure that in a world of freedom and liberty that it was their right not to have to do something they were at odds with.

Pretty ridiculous situation really that it’s got this far, I’d have refused to do it on the grounds that Bert and Ernie are kids tv characters not gay icons

GrahamS

What a bunch of idiots – they should have just refused on copyright grounds and that would have been the end of it!

Would have been a good plan – but I suspect that like many cakemakers they do a fine range of Disney Princess cakes which I doubt they’ve paid the royalties for.

Besides the 24 year old general bigot manager said he wanted to take a stand.

(Not a cake stand presumably)

D0NK

Won’t bert and ernie be copyright/tyrademarked whatever so could have been refused due to that.

I know Asda won’t let you have cake toppers of copyrighted stuff.

The order was placed as they knew they’d get a reaction

I did wonder

well that makes him an idiot then. Copyright or some wishy washy excuse fair enough, they’d get away with it, but “making a stand” is escalation and when you’re on dodgy ground that’s pretty daft.

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t believe it’s made the BBC news, to be honest.
    Wouldn’t you just go to a different cake shop?

any Christians running a business could be allowed to follow their Christian beliefs
    = just go somewhere else

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[img]http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif[/img]
    This guy?

tpbiker
    Free Member

any Christians running a business could be allowed to follow their Christian beliefs
    = just go somewhere else

+1

Clearly they’ve only done it for a reaction. The thing that pisses me off is that if this was something that went against/offended any other faith and they refused then it would be considered fine, as we are a diverse and tolerent society that respects other peoples beliefs. Same doesn’t appear to apply to christianity however…

GrahamS

Rosa Parks should have just taken a different bus.

D0NK

The thing that pisses me off is that if this was something that went against/offended any other faith and they refused then it would be considered fine,

sauce?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Some people just want to buy their cake and eat it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

= just go somewhere else

Perhaps they could put a sign up explaining what kind of people they don’t serve. As a whole bunch of Christians have no problem with gay people. It would make life simpler for people.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Clearly they’ve only done it for a reaction.

Have to be honest, I don’t know the religious beliefs of any of the bakeries I shop at. Is this something I should be paying attention to?

ransos
    Free Member

Good to see someone sticking up for what they believe in.

Absolutely – it’s good that the customer is taking this further.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The thing that pisses me off is that if this was something that went against/offended any other faith and they refused then it would be considered fine

Being gay is not a faith? Skin colour would be a closer analogy – and what then?

ratnips
    Free Member

Not very Christian of them…

ninfan
    Free Member

I do love this inclusive and tolerant society we’re living in nowadays, now excuse me while I go and get the Halal butcher up the road prosecuted for refusing to sell me any bacon!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Perhaps they could put a sign up explaining what kind of people they don’t serve.

They’ll serve anyone, maybe a sign saying they won’t make cakes with supporting things they don’t agree with?

D0NK

Being gay is not a faith? Skin colour would be a closer analogy – and what then?

I think tpbiker is suggesting if the same couple went into a muslim bakers and they were refused, it would be ok – which I think is bollocks am dubious about

excuse me while I go and get the Halal butcher up the road prosecuted for refusing to sell me any bacon!

is he selling bacon to other people? Can I sue Boots for not selling xtr rear mechs to me?

ransos
    Free Member

I do love this inclusive and tolerant society we’re living in nowadays, now excuse me while I go and get the Halal butcher up the road prosecuted for refusing to sell me any bacon!

You’d like to have a butcher prosecuted for something they don’t sell? Why not ask them for a kilo of potatoes while you’re at it?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Being gay is not a faith

emmm yep I realise that. Read again…

emsz
    Free Member

Oh? Something tells me your just dying to say more..

ninfan
    Free Member

Being gay is not a faith? Skin colour would be a closer analogy

Hmm, homosexuality – lifestyle choice or genetics? Theres an interesting one…

poah
    Free Member

PC crap? So you agree with the bakery

in a way yes, would their be all this hulabalu if they had asked for a swastkia cake lol.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

something more subtle perhaps

fasthaggis

Meanwhile in the bakery..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ah, sorry tpbiker, speedreading error. You mean like this?

poah
    Free Member

Hmm, homosexuality – lifestyle choice or genetics? Theres an interesting one…

I’m going to get a nobel prize for finding the gay gene lol

ransos
    Free Member

in a way yes, would their be all this hulabalu if they had asked for a swastkia cake lol.

Are nazis a persecuted minority group that thanks to years of discrimination require the protection of the law?

Northwind

tpbiker – Member

The thing that pisses me off is that if this was something that went against/offended any other faith and they refused then it would be considered fine, as we are a diverse and tolerent society that respects other peoples beliefs. Same doesn’t appear to apply to christianity however…

I must have missed the 11th commandment, thou shalt not bake homocakes. You can not approve of in gay marriage all you want but they’re not being asked to approve gay marriage, they’re being asked to bake a cake.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘same sex marridge cake’ is closed to new replies.