Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Ryan Giggs??
  • warton
    Free Member

yes Giggs has been an amazing player the last 20 years or so. and fully deserving of say, a lifetime achievement award. But, and its a big but, This award is for the sports personality of the YEAR. And this year Giggs ahs done, err, **** all.

I didn't really care who won it, but was hoping Giggsy or Jessica Ennis did.

manitou
    Free Member

none of these sports people have a personality anyway

tails
    Free Member

I did wonder why someone would put a video of matt le tissier's goal on a thread about ryan giggs

le tissier was a class player best touch ever.

tails
    Free Member

spaz

someones getting nasty. 😥 Bad weekend?

DM52
    Free Member

I think the biggest explanation is required for selecting the England mens cricket team as team of the year. The achivements of Brawn GP and the woman's cricket team far surpass anything the mens cricket team accomplished.

NonStopNun
    Free Member

He,s not even playing every game this year.I notice hes odds on winning had droped down very fast 😆 so looks like some people have made a few £,s.

Andituk
    Free Member

This award is for the sports personality of the YEAR. And this year Giggs ahs done, err, **** all.

What about his 11th Premier League, 3rd in a row, champions league final, and PFA player of the year?

warton
    Free Member

What about his 11th Premier League, 3rd in a row, champions league final, and PFA player of the year

PFA Player of the year for the same reason he won this, for his achievements over the last 20 years.

many many players win league titles. quite a few have one it three times in a row.

He's not a world champion. He hasn't done something no ones ever done before. other people in the list have done that and are individual world champs

Andituk
    Free Member

How many do it at 36?

mjb

He's not a world champion.

He's one the European cup twice which is arguably the highest achievement for a footballer.

He hasn't done something no ones ever done before.

Aside from being the most decorated british player, ever! Remind me again how many races Button one before this year?

I agree with whats been said above though he's getting these awards because he's coming to the end of his career and people want to recognise that rather than what he has achieved in the last 12 months.

To be honest i think it's a bigger shock to see the mens cricket team getting team of the year which is supposdly decided by experts!

coogan
    Free Member

He hasn't done something no ones ever done before

No ones won 11 Premier league titles, he has. And what's being a world champion got to do with it?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Proper cringe tv!

Missed most of it, but best bit was when the boy linekar, reffered to James Cordon as an athlete, . . . and Cordon was left speechless!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Well if Zara Philips and Greg Rusedski (sp) can win it…

The more i think about it the more i think he deserves it. What has he achieved? This year he started the xth year at the very top of his sport. Most of the shortlist haven't been achieving things or at the top of their sport for half as long as he has. I think the award would be enhanced if people considered consistency when decidin who is deserving.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Mmmmm, footballers = athletes……I don't think so! Overpaid undertalented actors, well may be 😯

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Good to see Giggs get it and i'm not a huge football fan. Glad to see Cav lose out and hope he never wins it. He has the worst personality and attitude of any professional cyclist i've seen. Him winning it wouldnt do anything for the sport anyway. The guy is an arrogant tw*t!

waynekerr
    Free Member

Mmmmm, footballers = athletes……I don't think so!

Off course there athletes, the levels of fitness & stamina these guys have is immense, they all cover over 10k in a game & it's stop, start, sprint stuff, plus there is always someone trying to kick, elbow, body check them, yes you get actors, but most of these guys take some knocks & still get on with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bit confused with he voting, rather than canvas public opinion they used sports journalists whos lists varied by 2 names max all the way through…..

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Giggs has had a great career and managed to stay in argueable the best football team around in teh world for last 18 years or so. Howveer as part of a team has won all has awards not as an individual. This year many people achieved things in there sport that surpassed those done by Giggs and frankly you could see it on his face.

He should have got a life achievement award to be honest. jess should have won it.

P.S. I am not a Man U fan but results speak for themselves.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

did fergie not moan about how long the program ran because one of his players won it?

AndyP
    Free Member

Giggs – agreed he's had a fantastic career and a good season given his age etc. but really…he's not even the best player of the year at United, let alone in the country. Definitely worth an award in recognition of his career and his professionalism, but SPOTY? Shows what a well-organised voting campaign can do I guess – just like last year 🙂
    Oh – and that FA cup goal? Overrated. Would have been a great goal had one of the defenders actually tried to tackle him. Really it was just 'here, have a free run from the half-way line then have a shot'. Good shot, mind.

Poor year of sport overall though, what a lame shortlist.

Glad to see Cav lose out and hope he never wins it. He has the worst personality and attitude of any professional cyclist i've seen.
    not seen many professional cyclists (or sportspeople) then?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I'm a fan of the other red team that Utd hate – but (and I know Lineker said this, but I did always think it myself, honest), he's one of those players that most fans of other teams respect. The guy's professional and has never been a dirty or selfish player.

He has always behaved himself impeccably off the pitch and applied himself one hundred percent (or seeing as it's football, maybe 110% 😉 ). When kids copy footballers, I just wish it was Giggs they copied, instead of Bellamy, Terry, Keane, Bowyer and their likes.

I know he's a bit wooden when it comes to interviews…he's shy and doesn't like the limelight. Give him a break.

Just glad that that non-sportsperson Button didn't get it. His arrogance knows no bounds – I think he's actually convinced now that he's a really good driver.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am happy Giggs won it, he is Welsh and has been a brilliant player. In a world of over payed primma donnas he has just grafted away and been a model pro.

Ennis is a great athlete and was gorgeous in that dress. Tweddle looked massiveley embarassed.

Button is a good driver he just seems to be an arse, he is going out with a cracker though.

theotherjonv

jeez, there's some sports snobs on here.

Only disappointment for me was that a bigger tribute wasn't paid to Sir Bobby Robson. Now he truly WAS a legend.

Coyote
    Free Member

he's not even the best player of the year at United, let alone in the country

You may find a few people may disagree there buddy.

AndyP
    Free Member

You may find a few people may disagree there buddy.
    I have no doubt they would. Some of them probably voted for him for SPOTY…

ski
    Free Member

Ryan bought me a Pizza!

I meet Ryan a couple of times, while on Holiday in Barbados, while out watching the Cricket out there.

We were in a local nightclub and me not being much of a cheese rolling fan, did the double look, "do I know you" routine when I spotted him 😉

He seemed well down to earth and was quite happy to to chat to us, some of his mates were less than approachable, but he came across as a sound bloke, anyway we left him to his group and we got bladdered on Bank's beer 😉

Funny thing was my mate who was a massive fan, did not go to the club that night and could not believe us, so you can imagine the amount of piss taking he got for the next few days 😉

Anyway a few nights latter in some local Pizza hole shack, who should turn up and say hi as he walked past, my mate was totally gob smacked!

At the end of the night after a few beers we went to the bar to settle our bill and was told that he had settled the bill for us!

corroded
    Free Member

I don't mind Giggs winning since he seems as good a role model as you get in football – though I've no idea what he's won or done this year. Just glad Button didn't get it as he wasn't joint-nominated with the Brawn diffuser. I'd have like to have seen Ennis or Cav win.

mudshark
    Free Member

Glad to see Cav lose out and hope he never wins it. He has the worst personality and attitude of any professional cyclist i've seen. Him winning it wouldnt do anything for the sport anyway. The guy is an arrogant tw*t!

Er – I think maybe you're a bit out of touch as most seem to think he's a fine chap these days….

I think Cav needs to win the Green Jersey before he deserves to get this award but not sure he will then as the public are generally ignorant of road racing.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Ryan Giggs??’ is closed to new replies.