Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Running shoes – recommendations?
  • Pz_Steve

I moved house a few months ago, and my new regular run is about 60% road, 40% off-road. This last week I’ve been seeing it in it’s true winter colours, and it gets horribly muddy & slippery. Anyone recommend any proper running shoes which will offer decent grip off-road without knackering my knees, shins and feet on the road sections? I’m at that age where I need the comfort more than the grip, but getting both would be nice!

Thanks folks.

Keva
    Free Member

cross country trainers tend to offer less cushioning than ‘support’ road trainers because it’s just not needed plus they’d just be too heavy with all the cushioning and grip. Find the nearest Sweatshop and ask them what to recommend, they can also judge /record your gait on a treadmill. Always been good imo.

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/storefinder.cfm

I bought a pair of Adidas trainers last spring and they’ve been great, a bit of cushioning but not too much, plenty of grip and lightweight. Nowt worse than running with bricks on your feet, plus I find too much cushioning takes the feel of the ground away from your feet which kind of dulls the running imo. [yes I ride hardtails too!]

Kev

Jamie
    Free Member

Ooh! It is this thread again!

Anyways, I use Inov-8 Roclites 295s. Light, a little bit of cushioning due to the tread and a good amount of grip.

You can usually pick up last years designs for £50.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have had Saucony trainers for the last 10 years or so and find them very comfy. Cheapish too.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/SAU299/saucony-grid-jazz-7000-on-&-off-road-running-shoe/

I probably do 50/50 road off road and these are great, the grip on local moorland is fantastic.

uplink
    Free Member

It really is going to be what suits you rather than what suits others

If they work for you, Mizuno Wave Ascend make a good job of multi-terrain runs

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Mizuno_Wave_Ascend_5_Shoes/5360049174

djglover
    Free Member

I have Inov8 and would advise caution if you are used to cusioned trainers. I use asics gel torana for hardpack and road mix runs and inov8 for grass. The asics are great if you want a trail shoe that is very much like a road shoe

stever
    Free Member

I use Roclite 295 when there’s a bit of road involved, maybe not 60% though. You might look at Adidas Kanadias? Usually cheap at Sports Direct, but watch the sizing.

scruzer
    Free Member

asics trail lahar, gortex. Great trail shoe (trainer not approach shoe in style). Very light abd comfortable. Shop around, try Sports Direct for final buy if ya after a bargin. Mine were reduced fron 85£ to about 50£.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with Roclites (but on well with Inov8 Mudclaws!) but get on very very well with Salomon Speedcross 2s – little bit of padding too.

Beware opting for Gore-tex (which I have in one pair of off road shoes) – tends to lead to a heavier, clammier shoe. Good off road shoes usually drain quickly and stay nice and light. You’re going to get wet feet anyway.

organic355
    Free Member

These are a good deal on sports direct:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/asics-gel-nimbus-11-mens-211086

Butler88
    Free Member

Get down to your local (proper) running shop IMO- off road shoes have no support and this is FINE if you are a neutral runner but could be very bad (for the shins and legs an’all) if you are not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, I made the mistake of going for Gore-Tex in my first pair of Salomons. Don’t get me wrong, they’re fantastic in “damp” conditions eg wet grass. But the second you step into anything deeper than just below the ankle, you end up squelching around for the rest of your run.

My next offroaders will be SpeedCross. If you really must have one pair for road/off-road, then Salomon XT-Wings are a compromise. However, whatever way you look at it, you’ll always be compromising.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Saucony_ProGrid_Jazz_13_TR_Shoes/5360049330/

I went into up and running in manchester with almost idntical requirements to the OP and they suggested these

basically, a road running shoe with a different sole to offer better grip off road. I have been very please with them and would certainly recommend

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

dd – with four pairs of running shoes in current use, I think I’m starting to get like MTBers that have a different tyre combo for every type of riding!

Good call on the Speedcross 2s. Speed lacing system also very handy if doing any off road tris/adventure racing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed, Salomon’s lacing system is superb. Looks very delicate but it’s never let me down.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mrs Matt’s 3Ds are two years old and the lacing system hasn’t missed a beat.

In fact I missed that system a lot on my tri (road ride and run) when I had to use my Asics road shoes – just did the laces up loosely beforehand but didn’t quite have the support needed. Doing up laces takes way too long in transition!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aren’t there laces that you can buy to replace the standard ones? They’re full of little bobbles or something? I might be imagining this?

No, I’m not it seems: Something like these?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Very handy link – think I’ll get some of those!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Was watching a tri on tv and thought “Hmmm, there’s something I don’t know here. I can’t see any laces.” as they came out of bike/run transition.

EDIT: Just seen these on Wiggle. The reviews couldn’t be more positive. I shall be purchasing some of these for sure.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice one DD – just ordered a black set for my Kayanos (road shoes)!

Pz_Steve

Thanks all.

Think I’ll be looking at the Saloman Speedcross 2s and Saucony ProGrid Jazz.

I appreciate that everyone will fit different shoes from everyone else, so it was really about looking for the grip/cushioning compromise.

Do you know of any “proper” running shops down this way, Surf-Mat?

Thanks again!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Running shoes – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.