Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Running shoes for dodgy knees
  • fadda

Apologies, first – I remember there have been previous threads but I can’t find them…

After a cartilage trim last year, my knee complains after running. I want some very cushioned trainers to see if they help, can anyone recommend some?

TIA

RobHilton
    Free Member

Go to a running shop (not a high street pretend one) and get a proper consultation & fitting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^Correct^^

mogrim

Forget the cushioned trainers*, and build up knee strength by doing weights.

* I’m assuming you’re not currently using zero padding minimalist shoes, assuming that’s not the case the difference in padding between something “cushioned” and something that’s not isn’t that great.

surfer
    Free Member

There is no such thing as “consultation and fitting” in a running shop. They are commercial organisations that survive by making profit. They do this by selling whatever shoes they can and employing people on the lowest salary they can get away with. Gait analysis is pseudo science, particularly when conducted by, well somebody who works in a running shop.

Mogrim is right you need to build up your knees probably through gym work if you are concerned they are not ready for the pounding of running.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A lot of the advice for people who have bad knees is actually to bike 🙂

Don’t assume cushioning is the answer either

irc

And run on grass or another soft surface.

Haze

Technique and knee strength/gym work.

I’m no expert but doubt there’s a magic shoe that will work 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you’ve got dodgy knee’s it’s a doctor you need, not a trader sales person. I know a few people who have had cartilage issues and rarely the advice from the pro’s is anything other than along the lines of “for you doing high impact sports is over”. Forget the cushioning that trainers give you, what about the cushioning cartilage proves your knee?

Pieface

Don’t just dive in to general knee strengthening exercises mind, you may create imbalances elsewhere and complicate things.

TBH good running shops are helpful and yes the gait analysis can be overhyped, but I believe sometimes different shoes do help as some of my pains have disappeared as soon as I’ve changed shoes. I also doubt the gait analysis being used to drive sales as the range of shoes they gave me to try was vast and they insisted that it was about what felt right for me.

MrPottatoHead

Well I’m certainly no expert and still in search of the perfect trainer but every time I get injured I go back to using Hokas. They work for me, though others will hate them.

I have had 2 gait analysis in different shops in the past. One was good, the other ended in possibly the worst trainers I’ve ever owned.

Pieface

My last gait analysis said I needed mild support shoes, but they also suggested the neutral Hoka’s. when they played the video back on the Hoka’s my gait was the same as with the support shoes (I’d started with neutral so could see the changes). I guess the cushioning is either so plush / engineered that your gait corrects itself.

fadda

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Cartilage surgery was about 9 months ago, and I’ve been steadily working on knee strength using physio-recommended exercises, to the point where my knee is at least as stable and strong as it was pre-surgery.

My last 4 or 5 pairs of trainers were from proper running shops with consultations/gait analysis, and I’d be inclined to agree with the comments suggesting the benefits are “variable”…

I’m back to running a couple of miles, after which my knee just twinges a bit. It may be that I just have to accept that it will do this after running, but I thought I remembered that people on here recommended some particular shoes that helped them. It was the Hokas mentioned above – thanks!

Probably worth mentioning that I’m doing a lot more exercise than just a couple of miles running, but it’s the running that makes the knee grumble.

Thanks everyone – I’ll invest in some Hokas and see if they help. Research suggests to go up a size with these?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Try putting the trainers on your feet not your knees?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Never buy anything from a shop – they all just sell you what theyve got in stock and only want your money 😆

Maybe custom footbeds could help?
    Maybe ligament strengthening exercises on wobbly things rather than muscle?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Maybe stating the obvious but do you run on dead flat or hilly terrain!

Whilst not as drastic as you, I’ve just returned to running after a good few months due to knee probs and listening to advice the time I generally do my runs on dead flat. If I run from my house I have hills and then my probs start.

I also tend to run on the front of my feet more and increase the cadence a little when my knees twinge a bit.

Might not help you, but that’s what I’ve found.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

You may want to see a podiatrist . That’s where I got my feet looked at and correct inserts made. You have a different background but might be helpful.

fadda

That was the thread I remembered – thanks, surfer. Hokas ordered!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve found that running in gym/crossfit trainers helps a lot. They’re a lot more cushioned and supportive. But I’ve got torn ligaments so have a more ‘wobbly’ knee

surfer
    Free Member

running in gym/crossfit trainers helps a lot. They’re a lot more cushioned and supportive.

Really 😯

They are designed to have a thinner midsole and limited cushioning to avoid instability. I think they are a poor choice for running.

justridemtb
    Free Member

I broke my kneecap 25 years ago and it has been a constant problem. I’ve recently started running again after reading a book called Born to Run. Barefoot running, vibram fivefingers and the like are good and my knee is better than its ever been. There’s an interesting critique of the running shoe industry in the book. Essentially the theory is that the human foot has evolved over millennia to be perfect for running. Commercial running shoes stop it working properly

surfer
    Free Member

🙄

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Running shoes for dodgy knees’ is closed to new replies.