Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Runners: Different trainer brand advice
  • nickc

Always used Nike, but last couple of pairs haven’t lasted as well as before, maybe time for a change, Asics seems popular in my club, but I’ve no idea which ones. High arch mild overpronate, what should I get?

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t recommend a model for your particular feet be Mizuno seem to last me well

damo2576
    Free Member

Depends on your foot shape – Saucony suit me, Asics don’t etc. Have you got a decent running shop who can do gait analysis etc?

speaker2animals

When I jogged in the 80’s I found Ron Hill’s to be good especially for people with pronation/supination. Not sure if they are still made though. New Balance? Used to have a friend who did quite a lot of running and orienteering who swore by New Balance.

nickhart
    Free Member

saucony make great trainers as do inov8 plus inov8 are a uk company. I’ve had both and loved them equally. never tried brooks but have heard good things about them.
    try before you buy!

petrieboy

Asics gel kayano here (tho not the latest ones) not the lightest available but provide plenty cushioning and support for this slightly chunky jogger! Trainers last me ages as I only use them for running, no gym or genral wear

higgo
    Free Member

I have high arches and pronate a little. In fact my foot strikes slightly supinated and then pronated to a normal position. I also have quite a wide forefoot.

I find the shoes that fit me best are Asics and Saucony. Nike are OK and I really don’t get on with Adidas (too narrow).

The Asics model that suits me best are the GT-2xxx series however you really should try a few on in a proper running shop.

rkk01
    Free Member

Haven’t done much running since at college – but Brooks were about the only ones that I got on with (didn’t give me bad back ache).

They then seemed to drop from view. Maybe the local shops near me stopped stocking them?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

You need to get along to a proper running shop to try some on a treadmill. I use Asics Gel Nimbus at the moment, last few pairs were Mizuno (very comfy but wore out quickly). Had Saucony – they rubbed so badly my foot got infected.
    Wife has Brooks.

Whatever feels comfortable.

Stainypants

I’m a mild overpronator and been using asics GT-2xxx for 11 years, most years they are great but occasionally i don’t get on with them. Stocked up on a few pairs a couple of years ago so haven’t tried this years model. They change model every year and the colours every 6 months, so you can pick up them quiet cheap from Sports Direct or from the web. For your first fitting you’d be best buying from a proper running shop and paying the premium to get the right shoe.

djglover
    Free Member

Another needing mild support and using Asics here. Not sure in which direction, underpronation I think?? I always get sorted at Run and Become. I used Brooks too and didn’t get on with them.

Stoner
    Free Member

nick – MrsS says that brand attachment can be problematic, having previously been a massive Kayano grrrl, she now cant wear them as they changed their design. Currently running Addidas onroad and Mizuno off road.

In good ol’ get the proper advice kind of way (no no ‘kin help to man or beast), she says go to a shop and get watched running with various models to find the right one… women eh? 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Use whatever fits. I have Asics for light off road, Asics for road, Salomon for more serious off road and Inov8 for mega mud/screen. All work really well.

xcstu
    Free Member

Saloman XA Pro 3D

Spud

I don’t run but my wife does. She always buys from Sweatshop in Nottingham and has changed brands for the past 3 pairs in a row. Anything from Suacony, Asics and now Adidas. Always goes on fit when on the treadmill in the shop.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I run 15 to 20 miles a week, and I’m currently on Brookes Ghost 2, which have been my favourites so far. I’ll be buying the Ghost 3’s next I think.
    I’ve ran one marathon, two halfs, numerous 10K’s and a Kilomathon.

I’ve had;
    New Balance 602 – Good, wore very well, but fairly basic. My first pair of runners.
    Asics Gel 1130 – These were only £40 but have been the best Asics I’ve had. Fit was superb and the yled me to buy….
    Asics Gel 2140 – Didn’t get on with these as well as ^ and they seemed to wear a lot quicker at the heel. (overpronator) I bought these to run the Edinburgh Marathon, but ended up wearing the 1130’s.
    Asics Gel 3000 – Again not as good as the 1130’s but wore better. Felt like my foot was floating around at the front.
    Now on the Brookes Ghost 2, which as I said are the best I’ve had.
    Also had a pair of Adidas, but I bounced these after about 3 weeks as they were too narrow for my feet.
    I would take a trip to a good running shop, even just to find out for sure what kind of shoe you need.

In summary, I’d take a look at Brookes. 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get the cheapest most basic comfy shoes you can. With as little padding in the sole as possible. Or a pair of army boots.

Rocky ran in a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors. Ali ran in Army boots. Both men could kill you. Both are correct in their choice of running footwear.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

For gen ‘all rounders’, I’ve tried,

Nike (Pegs, air) = shite
    Saucony = ok, but heavy and let me down on motion control even after diligent research/self examination of bio-mech’s.
    Asics= Good, until ‘upgrade’ of my fav’s…uppers not so robust, toes break through+toe protection stitching weak.

Currently on Mizuno Ultimate 2 = Good so far (100 – 150 miles of mixed)

CAVEAT

Trainers are such a personal entity, good luck with ur ‘Grail Quest’

downshep

It’s like saddles. Your arse fits a particular brand, so do your feet. Get thee down to a running shop with a treadmill and try the lot. My feet like Nike / Saucony / Salomon but not Brooks / Asics / Adidas. Your feet aren’t my feet, so will be different. Only by trying them out will you find the brand and support your feet / gait need.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Even within a brand they do many different levels and types of support

Recently spent some time in a shop trying on shoes and treadmilling and ended up with brooks glycerine 8s .

Adidas rubbed the hell out of my ankles – nike used to fit but the fore foot is now miles too wide even on a reg fit !

The sauconys were too long in 10.5 and as soon as i got up on my toes i slid forward and started bashing toes. And too short in 10s.

Tried on the brooks and it was like a Cinderellas glass slipper ! – so it should be though – was more concerned in getting a good fitting long lasting shoe than a cheap one as i have upped milage 10 fold in last 3 months due to lack of bike. I asked the price after trying them on – although i knew brooks werent cheap anyway 95 quid !

Long as they last longer than 80 miles that the salomon trail comps they replaced did ! I hadd africans trying to donate shoes to me !

Bound4Glory
    Free Member

Try “Newtons” which will be my next shoe buy. Ten Point are considered a specially good place to buy on run & Tri forums. Also I would suggest reading Born to Run, partly to do with the shoe industry.
    http://www.ten-point.co.uk/cms/newton_running_shoes

surfer
    Free Member

Depends on your foot type.

I find Asics and Saucony very comfortable. Nike are also very good but often narrower. New Balance also good.
    The only shoes I have never liked (and some recommend above) are Brooks. Not since the original Brooks Chariot anyway from about 25 years ago!!!!

The best thing to do is go to a shop that stocks a few brands. Go when it is quiet and try plenty on.

oddjob
    Free Member

Asics are ace

Keva
    Free Member

I bought Adidas back in the summer, get on with them great. Perfect for me… try them out.

mogrim

Go to a shop, any brand advice is a waste of time – look at any running shoe review site and you’ll find loads of complaints about how the new version of any given shoe has changed and is nothing like as good as the previous… proof, to my mind at least, that running shoes are a personal thing, everyone’s feet are different, and any recommendation you read is pretty much worthless.

So of course I’m going to recommend some brands 🙂

I’ve tried, and liked:
    * Brookes
    * New Balance

I’m now on Saucony, which seem good but it’s a bit early to tell.

votchy
    Free Member

The guy behind me at work who does more running than most suggests that if you normally get on with Nike’s you probably won’t get on with Asics, suggested shoe from th Asics range is the GT 1150, also suggests you gat a gait analysis, usually done free at a good running shop.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Get red ones.
    They’re the fastest.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Runners: Different trainer brand advice’ is closed to new replies.