Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Rubbish marmalade …
  • cinnamon_girl

… should be banned.

Aldi.

It’s disgusting.

Chemical taste. 😯

Ruined my toast. 🙁

4ags4
    Free Member

Agreed.
    Stick with Frank Cooper!!
    (Oxford Marmalade with Ginger – great way to start the day)

andylaightscat
    Free Member

or make your own,even better 😀

cinnamon_girl

Yeah Frank Cooper is good. My favourite is Duchy Originals but far too expensive.

I also bought some Aldi Plum Conserve but damned if I can taste any plums!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Duerr’s Manchester Marmalade FTW 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

Here’s a top tip for buying Jam/Marmalade: look at the ingredients at the back and count them. If the number exceeds two, toss it into a skip with the rest of the muck mentioned above and continue your search.

Glad to be of service.

andrewh
    Free Member

Trouble is orange trees don’t grow very well in this country so the bees only have useless flowers to get the nectar from to make the marmalade, which is in turn useless.
    Orange trees grow much better in Spain, hence the bees have much better orange flowers and so make better marmalade.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bonne Maman Bitter Orange is lovely.

Bear
    Free Member

Vintage Oxford thick cut mmmmmm.

And can we also ban shredless marmalade

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I think I see your mistake. I too like the Duchy one.

TooTall
    Free Member

Waitrose ruby grapefruit has been a recent revelation.

HungryHungryHippo

Hmm.. not sure how bees go about making marmalade? Must take an awful lot of them to chop up those oranges! 😕 😆

chiefgrooveguru

I have a problem with bits – the solution has been Wilkin & Sons No Peel Marmalade. Proper marmalade but without the peel!

andrewh
    Free Member

Hmm.. not sure how bees go about making marmalade? Must take an awful lot of them to chop up those oranges!

If they take nectar from the flowers of orange trees they make marmalade, same as if they take it from the flowers on strawberry or raspberry plants they make jam.

boblo
    Free Member

Tee hee, lady likes the taste of plums. Snigger, snigger 🙂

HungryHungryHippo

If they take nectar from the flowers of orange trees they make marmalade, same as if they take it from the flowers on strawberry or raspberry plants they make jam.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up 😀

Bunnyhop

I would love to make my own. Was a sad day when I found out my mother had got rid of grandpa’s jam making kit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

grandpa’s jam making kit.

Big pan
    Jars
    Spoon

That’s it. 🙂

Once you make your own, you’ll never go back. And its not difficult either, it just takes time and a bit of work. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Proper marmalade but without the peel!

Oxymoron. That’s not possible. 😛

andylaightscat
    Free Member

you need a knife,chopping board,scales,measuring jug,saucepan,saucers or a jam thermometer,muslin,string.

Surely you can find most of that in kitchen 😀 If not you’ve got a bit of time,Seville oranges normally aren’t in shops till mid,late January.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thermometer not needed. Just test a blob on a plate, once it forms a skin that wrinkles up as you push the blob with your finger you’re there. 🙂 But I think you already know that….

slowmart
    Free Member

I can personally vouch for Sir Nigel’s Vintage marmalade from Fortums or make your own and fine tune your efforts to you taste.

I made 7 jars over Christmas and the recipe stated 1.8 kilo’s of sugar. Slightly too sweet for my tastes but my culinary quest continues. It’s the same with Venison stew. Differents ways of getting there and that’s half the fun.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

PP,agree,but is easier with thermometer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ours was never accurate…..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I like pink grapefruit marmalade from my local farm shop…it’s what all toast deserves, much nomness.

Bunnyhop

PP – do you buy jars or just save up whatever you have around the house?

fadda

My sister started her own preserves company a couple of years ago.

Nom nom nom…

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Just use whatever ones are about.Once friends,family get to know they’ll start collecting jars for you,they do have to be encoraged with full ones in return.

PP,I got a confectioners/preserve thermometer for a birthday present that’s accurate was about £20 I believe

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – do you buy jars or just save up whatever you have around the house?

Buying them makes it expensive. We save them, we get others to save them for us, we ask for the jars back! 🙂

Andy, yes, ours wasn’t cheap but we found the test more reliable than the temperature. Everyone is different I guess! 🙂

andylaightscat
    Free Member

I only ended up with a thermometer as was being asked what I wanted for a birthday and always like something new and shiney 🙄 can’t say it makes better marmalade than the previous saucers in the freezer/wrinkle test though.

Bunnyhop,always found it easier to make smaller batches 5-6lb.
    Delia has good recipes for different marmalades.The canned seville oranges make ok marmalade but not as good as starting with the fruit.

Also as this is Singletrack try stirring in a teaspoon of whiskey in each jar,does give less of a set though.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I bought a cheap thermometer, something seemed wrong about it, and a batch failed to set. Testing it showed it to read 103 deg in boiling water. Then I bought a decent thermometer.

Oh, and only save the jars with standard screw tops, it saves a lot of swearing.

Albanach
    Free Member

First batch of Pam “the jam” seville orange marmalade made today. 8 jars for the pantry. Next week will be the orange and ginger then maybe some whisky marmalade which should see us out to the end of the year!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If you don’t like your marmalade extra-thick cut, we’ll probably never be friends.

There’s a great range at Waitrose by the way. Even own label stuff

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrs bridges/ mckays does the best imo.

But then my auntie works there and supplies me with a selection of em , jams and chutneys every xmas. Takes me a year to get throuh em !

Smudger666

yup, make your own….even the tinned kit is superb once you mess with the recipe – I substitute 1/2 the orange peel for lemon.

dammit – now I need to go make toast!

onewheelgood

Frank Coopers 3 Fruit is the one. Orange, Lemon and Grapefuit. I do like the sound of Ruby Grapefruit though, might have to seek some out.

Bazz

No love for Rose’s lemon and lime marmalade? It’s the only one i can tolerate.

cinnamon_girl

My local farm shops have a good range of preserves and chutneys. Not cheap though!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mum was the worlds best jam maker. Except….
    one day she tried making marmalade in the pressure cooker which she’d never done before, anyway the weight came off the lid & high pressure marmalade went all over the ceiling. It was funny as owt!

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy makes her own Jams and Marmalade..

We still have 6 jars of Damson Jam from last year to eat yet, haven’t started on this years batch at all.. 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Rubbish marmalade …’ is closed to new replies.