• This topic has 150 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • HR Legal advice Please… getting rid of dodgy staff
  • franksinatra

Do you work for an electrical wholesaler?

No, he does not. I’m no internet stalkervthis is from a thread that he started recently:

I’m a sales manager for a company that installs medical gasses and alarms behind beds in hospitals

Further to this, your name, location etc are all publicly available. I’m not sure what motivation people would have for this, but the internet can be an unfriendly place and it wouldn’t take much for someone to connect the dots and you end up in a very awkward position..

Really, it is time to pull the thread.

Sum
    Free Member

Agreed. I appreciate that the OP has been lacking support from his management and because of that he’s reaching out for advice on here, but it would be best for his sake if the OP takes what advice has been given and has the thread removed.

grum
    Free Member

2) He won’t find it on here, there’s no link to my employer in my profile and this fella has absolutely no chance of finding this.

It doesn’t matter, it’s still totally unprofessional.

just like when someone posts up about BMW, Audi etc the envy mongers come out of their cave’s and start getting personal because they got shit jobs and drive shit cars…….

Oh dear.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you work for an electrical wholesaler?

Oh can I reveal some information about you?
    Glass houses and all that

just like when someone posts up about BMW, Audi etc the envy mongers come out of their cave’s and start getting personal because they got shit jobs and drive shit cars

You had my sympathies OP but frankly now I dont see how anyone can help you

You have had some unfair grief on this thread from folk but really 🙄

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

To be fair, you do come across like a massive, massive cock.

I want to rip him a new arsehole and send him home on the train on Monday with his notice in his pocket and a week’s compensation for not having access to his company car

It’s little wonder he’s taking the piss out of you.

ourmaninthenorth

heir ‘old family firm’ of solicitors have left me in a position where they won’t give an opinion either way. I thought that the plethora of STW armchair lawyers would have come up with something

I’m a real lawyer.

I’m not going to give legal advice on this thread as (a) you’re not my client and (b) I’m not an HR lawyer.

My general advice is simple: go and find an employment lawyer who can give you proper advice as you’re flailing in the dark here.

In reality, you need to agree a course of action with your employer – train or get rid. Then seek advice that can help you with that. It’ll only cost a few grand, which is cheaper than cocking this up.

See, I managed that without any reference to car manufacturers or thowing my toys out of the pram. But I will say that you need to examine your limitations and get some training/skills in areas you are responsible for but clearly know nothing about.

andyrm
    Free Member

But I will say
    that you need to examine your limitations
    and get some training/skills in areas you
    are responsible for but clearly know
    nothing about.

True – so often a top performing sales person finds themselves in a “management” role with no training or support, something sadly overlooked further up the food chain. There’s often an unrealistic expectation from bosses that you can magically create an army of “mini me”s……..

Well worth getting this situ sorted then pushing for more support I reckon.

Good luck with it.

sonik
    Free Member

I’m sorry,
    But I’m with Scott Mc with this one.

grum
    Free Member

I’d also expect a better standard of written English from someone in a senior management position. Putting an apostrophe in ‘caves’, deary me. 😛

Drac

As a manager you have to assist him offer advice and see what issues are troubling him. Maybe there’s something at home, maybe no one has explained the role he’s doing properly to him or how it’s supposed to work. This is what you are here for, it’s all great shouting “sack the bastard” but it’s not that easy. If it does come to that then you have my sympathy, I’ve had to instigate the disciplinary route more than once and one of those lead to full dismissal. It’s horrible, it took up best part of 3 years of my life and still comes back to bite me. Your staff will turn on you, you’ll be questioned from many parties about your reasons why, you’ll wonder how the guy is going to pay his bills, you’ll wonder what effect it’s had on his family. Then if you ever see him it’s an awful thing, the expression they give you makes you feel cold. Trust me it’s the last route you want to go down no matter how posh your car is.

chewkw
    Free Member

geordiemick00 – Member

3)Why should I resign from my job??

No need to. At work you will find maggots all over on both sides so you might a good manager but your subordinates might be bunch of maggots vice versa.

Okay … used to be in HR long long time ago …

1. Intention. To fire someone you need to adopt the politically correct mindset (especially in the UK). i.e. to be seen as helping or giving the person plenty of chances to improve. Usually incorporating certain realistic programme(s) for that person. Who knows you might be able to really turn a person around in a good way.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Is this a bloody bike forum or an “introduce yourself, what car you drive and what your job is” forum. Either you’ve all got tiny dicks or you really love talking about your jobs way* too much. Get off the computer, swing your fat legs over your bicycle and stop ranting about your employees on an internet thread.

3)Why should I resign from my job?? I’ve come on here for opinions as the company I work for have left me in a position because their ‘old family firm’ of solicitors have left me in a position where they won’t give an opinion either way. I thought that the plethora of STW armchair lawyers would have come up with something but instead, just like when someone posts up about BMW, Audi etc the envy mongers come out of their cave’s and start getting personal because they got shit jobs and drive shit cars…….

Because you’re a terrible manager and you appear to have been born without a backbone. Take the bloody thread down and ‘deal’ with it professionally. And this isn’t about envy mongers… i’m pretty sure no one would want to work with you, that’s for sure – It’s about you being a pretentious dick talking about your “employees” (if they really exist) behind their back on a public forum (a bike one too I may add) saying how terrible they are. Ironic really when you’re accusing him of being unprofessional.

Drac

Is this a bloody bike forum or an “introduce yourself, what car you drive and what your job is” forum.

It’s a chat forum, the Bike forum is the other one.

druidh
    Free Member

Actually, this is the CHAT forum, so nothing to do with bikes at all.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

It’s a chat forum, the Bike forum is the other one.

It’s still a part of singletrackworld, which is… a bike forum. It’s not called “bullshit about your employees on public forum” forum is it. Still can’t believe this hasn’t been taken down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Still can’t believe this hasn’t been taken down.

Has anyone reported it? Anyone asked for it to be taken down?

Of course, I could have reported your use of the word “bullshit”, but I don’t feel the need to…..

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Of course, I could have reported your use of the word “bullshit”, but I don’t feel the need to…..

If it makes your day… go for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nukeproofriding – Member
    Get off the computer, swing your fat legs over your bicycle and stop ranting about your employees on an internet thread.

Is anyone else sensing some AWESOME here?

ojom
    Free Member

Is anyone else sensing some AWESOME here?

For a moment there i thought it was just me!

jota180
    Free Member

To quote some more management BS, I have a sense of Deja poo

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If it makes your day… go for it.

Can you read?

I don’t feel the need to….

tomhoward

Nukeproofriding, so if we start to talk about bikes in the chat forum, what do we talk about in the bike forum? Cheese? Do you even know where the bike forum is? As you’ve never posted in there? In fact you’ve only ever posted in this one thread!

Now, do the decent thing, what you have been promising to do, and (insert word/phrase of choice here) off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you even know where the bike forum is? As you’ve never posted in there? In fact you’ve only ever posted in this one thread!

Hadn’t noticed that….

tomhoward

Perhaps he’s a stressed out salesman who misses targets and has done a bit of googling about his manager, trying to find a bit of dirt, found a link to his stw profile and looked in on a few of his managers posts….. Uh oh…

Drac

It’s still a part of singletrackworld, which is… a bike forum.

Noooo! It’s the Chat Forum, it was setup for people to talk about such things as there is a little community here so people often ask for advice. It hasn’t been taken down as it does not break any rules and so far until late it hasn’t been too bad with insult so no need for it to be closed.

andyrm
    Free Member

Agreed.

RichPenny
    Free Member

it hasn’t been too bad with insult so no need for it to be closed.

I could help with that by calling the OP a **** cockknocker with **** all sense who appears to be in a management position without being able to manage his staff?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Surely cockknocker needs to be on the swear filter?

totalshell

okay.. you ve found yourself in a situation and need help to manage a way out.

firstly get the guy in for a formal interview, tell him in advance that its about supporting him achieve his sales targets..

ask him in and ask these questions..

how do you think you are doing
    how can we help you more
    get someone to note and log these questions and answers.

then

tell him you ve identified that he needs support planning his day so each friday ask him to e mail you with his diary for the next week before noon and then to email you am with his appts that day and each pm with his appts completed

thatll help him forward plan and you know what and where he is

you can check if hes been as each appt will be a sale..

agree with him targets for each week going forward make then equalt to about 60% of his annual target

ask him for his weekly totals to be email to you by noon each friday

let that run for 28 days.. failure to stick to it.. written warning.. failure to fulfill agreed abjectives..

after your meeting next week put all that in a nice flowery letter emphasising how this is to help him how you ve listened and agreed a plan etc etc

three things will likely happen..

he wont come in as he is stressed, he sell a tonne of stuff or he wont 3 months will give him opportunity to prove his worth or dig his grave

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely cockknocker needs to be on the swear filter?

Of course not. Only a cockknocker would think that.

davidjones15
    Free Member

perhaps the OP has read this thread, http://singletrackworld.executive-time-managament, and is in the process of building a group of yes men a good team around himself*.
    * I believe this is the correct business term.

andyrm
    Free Member

totalshell – perfect. Exactly the way to do it. End of the day, he’s failing so by offering all the tools and support, he’ll either raise his game or give a decent excuse to sack him without fear of recourse.

Something that has been overlooked is the negative effect on a sales team if they have a ‘passenger’ – hits morale very quickly.

Secondly, a sales manager will usually have part of their wages paid as an override of their team’s revenues against target. If this rep is underperforming seemingly through lack of care, he is directly hitting his manager’s take home pay so IMO the OP has every right to feel aggvrieved.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Nukeproofriding, so if we start to talk about bikes in the chat forum, what do we talk about in the bike forum? Cheese? Do you even know where the bike forum is? As you’ve never posted in there? In fact you’ve only ever posted in this one thread!

Now, do the decent thing, what you have been promising to do, and (insert word/phrase of choice here) off. It wouldn’t surprise me if you lot did talk about cheese but maybe anything other than work? I just don’t understand why you all want to chat crap about work and back stab your “employees” or co-workers on a public forum whilst comparing dick sizes in code by boasting about “how long you’ve been the executive staple re-filler at such and such legal firm” that’s all. And in all honesty I only posted more than once in this thread because i’m ill and the ethernet cable for my xbox is broken.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

honestly, I can’t believe how many assumptions have been made in four pages. I’ve inherited a complete fecktard of a salesman who’s been left to his own deceitful devices by my firm who basically have no management. The owner is retired to the golf course and in the space of two months I’ve stepped in to manage £5m of business that has all landed at once and in the process deal with this fella in question.

My mis-management/lack of management isn’t the reason why he’s where he is, he’s there because he’s been allowed to draw a wage for the last 12 months and effectively take the piss.

andyrm
    Free Member

Well said. Let me know how you get on.

tomhoward

the ethernet cable for my xbox is broken.

I see.

All your arguments have now been rendered invalid, on account of you being 14. Now run along, your mum has just said your dinner is ready. Be sure to give her a kiss from me.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Unfortunately G.Mick this place is full of fecktards (clearly demonstrated by SOME of the replies to this thread) so I would advise you to take the advice from the helpful genuine posts on here and seek professional help.

You prob don’t want to listen to me though as I have an Xbox too (but am 32 not 14) What was I saying about fecktards…..Right back to call of duty. Good luck anyway mate.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I see.

All your arguments have now been rendered invalid, on account of you being 14. Now run along, your mum has just said your dinner is ready. Be sure to give her a kiss from me.

Likewise. Dig out your receipts because your sense of humour is broken. Oh, a mum joke. How original, what year are you stuck in? You work for a borough council don’t you? You sound like a barrel of laughs! I bet you have some brilliant parties! Fondu followed by some rebellious pictionary? Oh my!

Unfortunately G.Mick this place is full of fecktards (clearly demonstrated by SOME of the replies to this thread) so I would advise you to take the advice from the helpful genuine posts on here and seek professional help.

You prob don’t want to listen to me though as I have an Xbox too (but am 32 not 14! What was I saying about fecktards…..

Us xbox owners have an inferior dna strain that subjects us to a life of childishness and automatically invalidates everything we say. It’s true.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

this place is full of fecktards (clearly demonstrated by SOME of the replies to this thread) so I would advise you to take the advice from the helpful genuine posts on here and seek professional help.

For someone who has only just rejoined the forum, you seem to have formed an opinion very quickly…..

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

honestly, I can’t believe how many assumptions have been made in four pages. I’ve inherited a complete fecktard of a salesman who’s been left to his own deceitful devices by my firm who basically have no management. The owner is retired to the golf course and in the space of two months I’ve stepped in to manage £5m of business that has all landed at once and in the process deal with this fella in question.

Welcome to the world of adulthood and thus responsibility. Grow a pair and deal with it the right way. That’s what separates those who are and aren’t “fecktards”. Currently you are just as much the former as your “employee”.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘HR Legal advice Please… getting rid of dodgy staff’ is closed to new replies.