Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Rubber Queen Folding vs Mountain King II Folding
  • hope
    Free Member

Hi all any advice on the above tyres

And also is Black Chilli really worth paying twice the price?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

mboy
    Free Member

Yes/no/maybe

I wouldn’t run non-Black Chilli conti’s if I was paid to though! They’re bloody awful…

I did think the Black Chilli compound really was just a load of marketing guff, and that no tyre can be worth almost £50, but the Black Chilli RQ’s really are a bloody good tyre, and probably my current fave. Whether or not it’s worth £50 per tyre is a whole other argument, but they are bloody good.

So in essence, they’re not worth twice the price, they’re worth an infinite amount more IMO.

thomthumb
    Free Member

2.4 rubber queen (black chilli) is an awesome tyre.

hope
    Free Member

I can’t clear 2.4 on my frame.

I wondered if anyone uses non black chili?

hope
    Free Member

By the way. I have been offered the above 2 at the exact same price and the black chili is exactly double

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a RQ (wire bead)2.4 on the front and it is uber-grippy!

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’d get some of the 700g-800g 2.35 or 2.5 single ply High Rollers in that case, as they’ll grip better. The non-black chilli tyres blow.

boxfish
    Free Member

Spesh Eskar2 2.3s are on a par with the RQ Black Chilli. Much cheaper too.

hope
    Free Member

This is so confusing haha

bam74
    Free Member

Got a black chilli RQ 2.2 delivered from Germany last week for 35 quid. Great tyre and well worth the money. My Core came with stock MK’s and they weren’t so good. I would stay clear of the conti’s unless they’re black chilli.

hilton83
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, i run 2.3 black chilli barons and they are amazing, i dont understand how they are so fast but they are! i much prefer them to the rubber queens,

Vortexracing

Just got a pair of Mountain King 2’s 2.2 delivered today. Mounted them onto some Stans 355 rims (very easily may I add) but they are very narrow. They only measure just over 2″ wide 🙁

I’m sure Rubber Queens are MUCH bigger.

hope
    Free Member

It would explain the massive weight difference,

Did you ride on the Mountain King 2s?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The RQs come up huge by the way. My friend runs the 2.2s and they aren’t far off the size om my 2.4 advantages. Never seen a 2.4 rubber queen but I’m guessing they will be massive. Another confusing thing is that the 2.2 RQs came up bigger than another mate’s 2.4 mountain king 2s. Weird…

hope
    Free Member

Were you running non black chills?

float
    Free Member

+1 get them from germany
    +1 RQ chilli flavour rocks 🙂

Northwind

hope – Member

It’s a complicated question 🙂 On the one hand, they’re too expensive- Conti need their posh rubber to make a tyre that works competently, with most of their range it’s hard to really see what you’re paying for.

But on the other, I’ve never used a non-black-chili tyre that wasn’t pish. So compared to other Contis, yes it’s worth it, compared to other manufacturers no it’s not.

Honourable exception goes to the Baron, which is a fantastic tyre, I’ve not found anything else to directly compete. But my Rubber Queens came off and were replaced with £22 Nevegals, which are a little slower but almost as big, lighter, and miles grippier.

Vortexracing

Did you ride on the Mountain King 2s

not yet, but will be doing tonight

smcicr
    Free Member

Tried the RQ’s a while back (BC version, 2.2). Fast Tyre and definitely grippy BUT… I got a puncture first time out and managed to tear the sidewall a few months later. I’m not exactly a hardcore rider, I get very few punctures where I usually ride so the fact that the RQ cost so much made these things that much more off putting. I’d only go back if I could get them very cheaply.

Jedi has ridden both I believe so maybe he’ll do a compare and contrast in the next video blog.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My 2.4 BC Queens are pretty grippy things, not as grippy as Maxxis super tackies but the Queens are a better all-rounder that can be used front and rear without affecting the rolling resistance too much……the non-BC version that I’ve also been using is nowhere near as good, especially in damp or wet conditions, and even in the dry it struggles to find grip on roots and flat rock.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m having a bit of a Conti Black Chilli fest at the moment. Last couple of years has seen me change my main two bikes over to various big Conti tyres. I started running 2.4 BC Rubber Queens and loved them. I was running the non UST’s tubeless but I found the rear sidewall a bit delicate so I went with a UST on the back. There was not much clearance so for the winter I went for Baron’s front and back which I also like a lot. They come up much smaller than the 2.4 RQ, almost the same size as the 2.2 BC RQ which I run on my hardtail (again non UST but tubeless). The 2.2 RQ is much lighter than the Baron and the 2.4 RQ which are about the same – the UST is much heavier.

I’ve ripped a couple of sidewalls which is a pain in the arse and they can take a while and a lot of sealant to run tubeless, but I love the level of grip and feel from them all. I like them as they are all so light, big and grippy.

The wierd thing is the tread is grippy and yet it doesn’t seem to wear… all the Conti’s I have killed have gone at the sidewall or the bead. I’ve patched a few of the sidewalls I’ve cut and they hold up fine… but I wish they didn’t cut so easily. I kind of wish I hadn’t tried them as I’ve become a bit of an addict to the performance… but the issues of sealing and damage have had me swearing at them in the garage and on the trail. Who knows… if I ran Maxis/Michelin/etc I would probably be singing their praises as I would be well happy with them as well.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I use BC rubber queens and Barons and they’re very good tyres. Killed a 2.2 RQ at the weekend. It wad a year and a half old, had been run on the rear, covered a fair old mileage and survived a week in the alps. The tread was ok but it was the side walls that went. I’ll be replacing it with another.

vooomvooom
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.4 BC Rubber Queens on the front and I am amazed how grippy it is, really love it. I’ve recently bought a 2.2 BC UST one (ebay only £25) for the rear. Haven’t tried the non black chillies and I would be interested to see if there’s a difference.

retro83
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Honourable exception goes to the Baron, which is a fantastic tyre, I’ve not found anything else to directly compete. But my Rubber Queens came off and were replaced with £22 Nevegals, which are a little slower but almost as big, lighter, and miles grippier.

Is that the ‘sticke’ or the normal flavour ?

rocketman
    Free Member

The non black chillies are absolutely Godawful ime they are more suitable for putting on the side of a canal barge

scud
    Free Member

I’v got a set of black chill 2.2 R.Q’s and I think they are fantastic, but i have tried to set them up tubeless with Stans and found that the sidewalls were almost porous, has anyone got any tips on getting them done tubeless?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve got about 3 rides on my BC UST rubber queens now (2.4 front, 2.2 back), the 2.4 is really good on the front, plenty of grip, the tyres also roll suprisingly fast, but anything probably would coming from Nevegals.

I’ve been riding somewhere new recently, and the ground is still a little soft (damp) and quite loamy, the rear tyre doesn’t offer as much grip as stuff I have used before; Nevegal, Excavator, Ignitor. But that may have sometihng to do with it being loaded with mud and me not being able to get up enough speed to clear it.

I’d definitely get one for the front again but would want something a bit spikier for the rear, maybe a baron? Also, the 2.4 isn’t that big, isn’t only marginally wider than a 2.35 nevegal, the volume is huge though and with low pressure (I’m 28ish front, 26ish psi rear) the grip on roots and rocks is really good.

rockfield
    Free Member

i’m also struggling to get my 2.2 RQ black chilli to stay up tubeless – the sidewalls are just really porous. Seems like a really round tyre – the sidewalls seem to stick out more than the tread. Not expecting to like it but having spent £40 on it I guess i had better give it a try.

messiah
    Free Member

Trick for getting the non UST RQ and Baron tyres to seal is to use loads of sealant… about twice what you think is reasonable.

Here is what I do… Do it once with what you think is the right amount, for the next week keep topping it up with air hoping it seals, after a week give up and slurge the same in again… bingo it stays up.

I did have one massive hole on a secondhand tyre so I stuck a patch on it, and I’ve also patched cut sidewalls when required.

Another trick is to wipe the inside of the tyre with meths to remove whatever greasy stuff is left over from the manufacturing process. I read it on here and it does seem to help.

Northwind

I don’t use more sealant for Contis, I just use more patience… Eventually they all seal up but it can take a long time. Doesn’t matter too much as long as the pressure stays stable-ish for the length of a ride though.

hope
    Free Member

Talk about thread spoiling haha, feel free to digress from the topic. Lol. 😆

Wozza
    Free Member

Hope, you don’t have an email address but i’m sticking a 2.4 Rubber Queen Black Chilli protection wall used for 4 rides on the front wheel in the classifieds tonight for £35 posted if you’re interested?

rockfield
    Free Member

I have both a RQ2.2 and MK2 2.2 – they look almost exactly the same size to me. havent got the Mk2 on a rim yet as I’m still struggling to get the RQ to stay up. Bit underwhelmed really as i was expecting the RQ to be much bigger after all the comments on here.

hope
    Free Member

Wozza, I won’t get the 2.4 on I don’t think.

jedi

the tread pattern is simular and i reckon my 2.4 mk’s are the same size as my daughter 2.2 rq’s! so far so good. no issues

andeh

Got a black chilli RQ 2.2 delivered from Germany last week for 35 quid.

Care to share where from?

bam74
    Free Member

Care to share where from?

http://www.bike-discount.de/

Site is down at the moment but think it was 35.90 euros for tyre and about 5 euros delivery.

andeh

Thanks muchly.

I already have a BC RQ on’t front, it’s been grand. My old high roller is starting to loose it’s side knobs though, time for a new ‘un.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

CONTINENTAL RUBBER QUEEN BLACK CHILLI – 26 X 2.4 INCHES bought from Velo Ecosse £34.95 delivered fantastic tyre so far.

bam74
    Free Member

CONTINENTAL RUBBER QUEEN BLACK CHILLI – 26 X 2.4 INCHES bought from Velo Ecosse £34.95 delivered fantastic tyre so far.

http://www.veloecosse.com/productdetails.asp?productid=16494

You did well. According to site there now £44.95.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Rubber Queen Folding vs Mountain King II Folding’ is closed to new replies.