Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RS Coil Pike Noise – ideas?
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

For a little while now I’ve noticed a noise in my pikes, on compression (at about 30 – 40 %). Sort of like a cross between a click and ping, not very loud, resonating very slightly – no other symptoms. From the coil side. So not a big leap to suppose its something with the spring.

It can be got rid of by adjusting the u-turn a small amount either way. So I had the forks in bits yesterday, and remembered it for once. Took the coil side to bits expecting to find something loose or maybe broken.

Nothing. Cleaned it, looked it over, seemed fine, regreased and put it all back together. Initially I thought it was gone but this morning it was back (i had to go looking for it). tried a few different u-turn positions, seems much less now, but still there sometimes. Around but not quite full travel seems the place to find it.

Anyone had this? found the source? know what it might be?

I don’t like untraceable noises… 😕

wisdom of the STW collective appreciated.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Had exactly the same with PIkes on my 08 Pitch.

It didn’t affect performance or get worse though so I left it.

Mike-E

I have had the same problem since my forks came back from a well known tuner of forks 😳 Doesn’t affect performance so haven’t bothered investigating further (internal spacer moving perhaps?).

LoCo
    Free Member

The uturn coil can move on the guide which can lead to noise due to a small amount of movement, no cure as such other than replace the spring.

Have had this on a brand new Dual position coil assm from some sektors with was returned on warranty.

Although there could be a number of reasons for the noise /movement other than this.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh and it can’t be from the damper assembly as I swapped that over yesterday.

Cheers Loco et al. That does tally with my observations. Good to know it just a thing that happens, distracting when picking my way down through the mines though…

Will take the spring out and put if back every I do the lowers and maybe I’ll get lucky and hit the quiet spot…

daveh
    Free Member

Does the spring have a plastic wrap around it half way down? An old pair of forks (can’t remember which) had this to prevent it knocking against the stantion inner. When the plastic wrap moved away from the centre lengthwise of the spring the fork knocked on compression. It was fine again when you moved it back. Still possible with new forks?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yes it does. It was off centre but not wildly. Moved it back towards the middle… Will pay specific attention to that next time I have them in bits.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve had this with Coil Pikes wound down a little from full extension – my guess was that the coil spring was hitting the inside of the fork leg. It’s not unusual with coil forks, so I hear. Some folk put an old inner tube around the spring to deaden the noise.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Some folk put an old inner tube around the spring to deaden the noise.

hmmmm, me likey that idea…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RS Coil Pike Noise – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.