Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • R+R Extreme?
  • gamo
    Free Member

Gone between this and Squirt for the last couple of years and through winter only used Extreme, anyway last big bottle just doesn’t go on as easily in the cold i keep the lube in the house but as soon as i apply it just coagulates and doesn’t penetrate the chain!only way it works at the moment is to blast chain with a hair dryer which is a pain. Anybody else had similiar problems?

lucien

Yes, but think thats the whole point of it.

I tend to put on and run the chain around (a lot) even though it doesn’t mix well, and find if you get it on well it stays on.

Shake the bottle, mix up for a bit and then wack it on, leave it, let it go hard – stays on a treat 😀 😀

gamo
    Free Member

My issue is that its not been like this in the past, used to go on as a
    liquid penetrate the chain and then wipe off all year round regardless of how cold it was.

lucien

Oh! – Thats not my experience and use both the Extreme and normal versions for the last 4-5 years – cold definately effects the viscosity, and if I don’t shake the bottle well enough (particualy the big bottles) then it just gets thicker and thicker as it nears the end.

Rogue batch maybe?

nuke

Mine is the same and has always done it…soon as the temperature drops, when it hits the chain it solidifies (doesn’t help to keep it inside in the warm as it cools when it hits the cold chain). Still, given I’ve just bought a 16oz bottle, I guess I’ll have to put up with it

grizzpup
    Free Member

White lightening epic is the way to go…..very similar but stays viscous in the cold. I live near the cairngorms and am regularly applying lube in sub-freezing conditions over the winter. Rock and Roll just goes solid. I agree with the above that even when it is heated indoors it sets solid on the chain.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve used Extreme before and it did this. If I kept it in the garage in the winter it would be partly solidified in the bottle.

I now use Prolink Progold which I find works better as an all year lube. Stays very thin in the cold and so gets into every link really well.

gamo
    Free Member

Ah well degreased it all earlier and now got the new muc off wet lube on!
    Supposedly stays clean and lasts well! Time will tell.

devilman
    Free Member

Using R+R gold. Picks up a lot less trail grime than Squirt. Will buy a big bottle when this one is used up.
    Dm

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thats exactly the same reason I have used up the last of my R&R and not re-stocked but switched to Muc Off C3 ceramic. Tried the Muc Off Wet and it did not last long enough on my rides. The C3 lasted reasonably well but still actually needed some more on the chain on my last 3.5hr muddy local ride. Checked the chain and its not rusty under the mud coating and was still runnimg quiet as claimed by Muc Off.
    Downside is -its flaming expensive!!!

nmdbase
    Free Member

Ah well degreased it all earlier and now got the new muc off wet lube on!
    Supposedly stays clean and lasts well! Time will tell.

If it’s the wet lube that smells like grapefruit….oh dear!
    Made my chain look like a filth pit in one ride, horrible stuff.
    However I like R&R Extreme 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Muc Off Wet Lube is my favourite stuff. It does indeed keep the chain quite clean and stays on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘R+R Extreme?’ is closed to new replies.