Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • RP23 pro pedal help
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I bought a new/old 2010 Giant Trance X frame with the above shock. It’s the boost valve and says 200 tune on the body.

It doesn’t matter which way I flick the pro pedal lever there is no difference in the travel. It doesn’t lock out or stiffen up at all.

Could this be an issue with the age if the shock even though it is brand new? Or am I missing something?

It is pumped up to the correct weight for me too.

Any advice would be great before I contact the shop.

willber
    Free Member

Is it the Adaptive Logic one? Kashina?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Not kashima for sure. Don’t think the adaptive logic one came in till 2011.

shifter
    Free Member

What setting is the rotating knob on? I suppose if you’re set at 2 then there wouldn’t be too much difference between that and the other lever position, ie 3.

If 3 and 0 feel the same then something is amiss.

I recently bought one on the cheap from CRC and I really like it on my Helius fwiw.

trxrincon
    Free Member

I’m building a 2011 yeti 575 with the same shock, and yours shock sounds very similar to mine, I can’t seem to feel any difference in the settings, mind you I’ve not adjusted air pressure yet I will do that when the build is complete but as it stands now I can’t tell any difference at all between the off position and 1-3 settings. Hmm?

Conan257
    Free Member

Bear in mind it isn’t meant to effect the travel as such, pro-pedal just reduces the movement of the shock which occurs due to pedalling. Hit-related travel should still feel exactly the same…

retro83
    Free Member

I have a 2010 trance x with an rp23. The pro pedal lever makes barely any difference and hasn’t since new. I think that’s just how they tuned the shock.

Mind you it doesn’t really bob much anyway compared to other bikes with the same travel

muddyground
    Free Member

Same issue on my Orange; didn’t do anything. Sent it back, they changed the internals, and it now works – just stiffens it up a bit. Mojo did send a sniffy note saying it’s not a lock out, so I’m assuming they’ve been down this road before with this shock. It sounds as though yours could do with a service, but then the cost of repair may well be more than you can get one for in a CRC sale?

greeble
    Free Member

Pro pedal is basically low speed compression. It eliminates/reduces pedal bob.
    Older rp23’s had 1,2,3 and the little lever to switch the pro pedal on or off.
    Off is great for descending/riding over rough stuff when you want the shock to be at its most active.
    Flick the lever on activates pro pedal you then set the level of pro pedal depending on your preference. 1 lowest 3 highest.

Newer rp23’s work slightly different
    The pro pedal is always on unless you set it to 0. Flick the switch on and its at its maximum 3. Switch it off you decide what level of pro pedal you want 0 – off 1 or 2.

ctd is pro pedal with added fox marketing bollox.
    C – climb pro pedal 3
    T – pro pedal 2 or 1
    D – pro pedal 0

They have removed the pro pedal numbers and made it easier for idiots like you to understand.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Sorry greeble must have missed the RP23 lecture at university whilst doing my masters degree.

The reason I asked is the RP23 on my 2011 definitely stiffened up more than this.

Apologies for not understanding something. You’re obviously a much better man than me.

I’m just a simple idiot!

Oh and by the way your answer in no way answers my initial question so cheers for wasting my time.

greeble
    Free Member

Glad to be of mis-service 😀

Why would pro pedal have anything to do with the boost valve or amount of travel? Or lock out…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well maybe the 2011 shock was faulty as that definitely locked the travel out.

Stating that the shock was boost value etc was to give all information about said shock.

BadlyWiredDog

I had a 2009-ish BV RP23 – the effect of Pro Pedal in any sense was so minimal it was undetectable on any setting. I got the shock Pushed by TFT to stop it blowing through its travel and asked them, at the same time, to tweak the Pro Pedal. It’s now pretty much a lock-out on its stiffest setting and, for me at least, a whole bunch more useful.

So basically, I think it’s pretty much normal on that era of RP23.

greeble
    Free Member

Pro pedal is not a lock out

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was a lock out. I said it locked it out on that shock. Be that to do with tune or frame you definitely couldn’t use the travel with pro pedal on.

This shock is just so different hence why I asked. How can 2 shocks on the same frame with the same tune and pressure be so different.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Get a triad, IMHO its the best shock that Fox do.
    Lockout does as it says
    Pro Pedal is used 90% of the time
    Open for big hits riding downhill.

granny_ring

Get out of the wrong side of the bed mosey….. 🙄

Thought they were helpful answers for you, as you didn’t say what setting you had the shock in 1, 2 or 3?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pro pedal does not effect the amount of travel.
    Pro pedal is not a lock out.
    Pro pedal does not make the shock stiffer.
    You are missing something.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Edit: cba

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The only grumpy response was meant to be to greebles idiot comment, apologies if it came across grumpy to anyone else.

I’m basing my judgement on two shocks that are the same tune and pressure wise but with totally different function.

Thank you everyone for responses, even greeble as I learnt from the post 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oh and I know I’m missing something when it’s regarding shocks. 😉

composite
    Free Member

Had the same issue with the RP23 on my Five. I had the shock second hand and just assumed that the pro pedal didn’t actually do loads. Just had it serviced and now it’s back the pro pedal feels like night and day in comparison.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘RP23 pro pedal help’ is closed to new replies.