Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Royal Mail Strikes Tomorrow and next week.
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Ok but tell me again why they are going on strike? Anyone?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I wonder why, if someone is doing a 'simple' job, it is ok for them to have rubbish working conditions or low pay or live in constant fear of being sacked? Why is it acceptable for hardworking people who are providing a SERVICE not a business, to struggle to have a home, family, food or whatever?

Lets face it, the public are paying for modernisation of a service – so that more people can go on the unemployed list or the tax credits for low paid list (which costs the coutry) so that the mail service can be sold of to foreign corportations who will make a vast profit at our expense.

Also, the 'new improved' mail service is ****. A couple of years back, my post came in the morning, now it does not turn up til mid afternoon, the post boxes round here were emptied a couple of times a day at a given time, now it says something like 'if we can be bothered we will pick up the mail at any time of the day, before 7.00pm' which is no use for something urgent. So, ok lets post it at the main city sorting office, which now also spins the same line and dispite being the main office, no longer empties its post boxes at all on a Sunday.

I use the post more these days than I ever have before, but I want the old ineffective service back – where I actually GOT service.

I feel so sorry for the postal workers as thier business is being run down into unsatisfactory rubbish by the managers who want to sell out.

simon_g

I wonder why, if someone is doing a 'simple' job, it is ok for them to have rubbish working conditions or low pay or live in constant fear of being sacked?

But does that person have a right to retain that job for the rest of their working life, regardless of how much or little effort they put into it?

I worked for the Royal Mail between terms at uni, and then for a bit after I finished, a bit of delivery but mainly sorting office. It was by far the easiest unskilled minimum wage job I've had, plus heavily subsidised food and I was all done by lunchtime and could go and ride my bike. Yet I was surrounded by people with massive chips on their shoulders making out it was really difficult. If they think it's that bad why not go elsewhere?

AndyP
    Free Member

because it's been a few weeks since the last one

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AndyP – Member
    because it's been a few weeks since the last one

Crucial Fourth test and a decent weather forecast?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Well thanks to the Royal Mail, I get on great with my neighbours because we speak to each other every week when we deliver the mail to the correct adresses, something the postal service seems incapable of doing.
    I've also taken to the new neighbours' wee lassie since she told me she closes my garden gate because the "postman doesn't do it, but there's a sign on the gate saying to close it, maybe he can't read and that's why you keep getting mummy's letters and mummy keeps getting the letters for the people with the big dog"

Dougal
    Free Member

Postal staff worried about modernisation threatening their jobs? If every **** got to keep their jobs despite technological advances, we'd all still employ stablehands for the upkeep of the horses that WE NO LONGER HAVE, so they can buy 52" TVs for their 10*10" lounge.

If you're job is so hard, how come simple machines can do the same thing at 100 times the pace for 24/7/365 without a break?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

The post office is the single largest source of hours lost to industrial action in the UK, and accounts for a huge percentage of the overall total. Oxford (where we are) has always been known as one of the most militant depots though I have heard that there are cultural/bullying issues there.

One of the working conditions the PO sought to address in a previous round of disputes was the long-held practice of basically p1ssing off early when you'd done your round, rather than sticking around until the end of the rostered working day. I dont know if this was offered in lieu of other benefits and what level of sanction it had, but I can't think of many jobs where that practice would be accepted (and would welcome further explanation from posties into the facts behind it, it isnt a troll).

And I am totally lost with this "you cant do it so…" agrument. As aracer says I can do what a postie does, but not singlehandedly do what the organisation does, and I can't figure out how someone else being able to do something I can't do should give them carte blanche on working conditions or financial recompense.

aracer
    Free Member

And I am totally lost with this "you cant do it so…" agrument.

It was GG being facetious – I came to the conclusion he'd had too many beers and gave up arguing with him.

jupiter
    Free Member

The same old tired lines come out every time the subject of postmen and the Royal Mail come up. Postmen are seen by the British public in the same light as bin men, street cleaners, traffic wardens, i.e. invisible, treated with contempt until they want to complain about it. Yes the Mangers aren't very good, yes the union is stuck in the 1970's, and yes not every postie is as diligent as he/she should be. It is however a fantastic service compared to many around the world, you actually get your mail delivered to your door, and if you have issues about the way your mail is being delivered, contact Royal Mail, don't bitch about it on a bicycling website. Most postmen just want to do there job, and your mail gets delivered despite the obstacles put in the way by the company and the postal regulator. It is a business that relies on humans, with that comes human error; are you or your business infallible?

aracer
    Free Member

Postmen are seen by the British public in the same light as bin men, street cleaners, traffic wardens, i.e. invisible, treated with contempt until they want to complain about it.

Really? I say hello or wave to mine when I see him (he does after all have to put up with my 2 year old singing Postman Pat at him), not something I'd do to any of the others. I mean it's not like there's an animated kids TV show about binmen or traffic wardens.

As I said before, I do think they have a point in this case, but the union does still seem to be pushing things (and has done many times in the past, hence the "crying wolf" issue).

sofatester
    Free Member

Jupiter, well put. Can we close this thread now?

It's nearly bike riding time 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Well I can understand the workers point but I can also understand everyone hating posties as they are affected by the strike waiting for mail and important letters.

Thank god for email.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

jupiter, I happen to like/respect my postie (slightly mad american who always wears shorts and is permanently I-podded), but the level of industrial action, whether or not its justified and whether or not it is indicative of poor working conditions, loses the public's sympathy/empathy. I am not anti-union (I happen to work for an organisation where industrial action is illegal), but is it any wonder the
    "same old tired lines" keep coming out, when as you say the union is stuck in the 70's and so is the the public's reaction to it.

In my experience the US postal system is also examplary, the workers and the institution there is more respected. I routinely had high value parcels left on my front door step (about 4 feet away from a busy pavement) and never had anything taken-the mail is treated as sacrosanct.

If the union did something as simple as publicise their grievances before things broke down maybe the public might be more supportive of industrial action? The fact we are all ignorant of the grievances means the union has played into the management's hands, in that the public response is what youve seen here- "bloody lazy posties" rather than "crikey, they are treated like sh1t, good luck to them".

enfht
    Free Member

A classic example of too much union power.

Their mail delivery is essentially useless. Too much post goes missing to believe they're delivered to the wrong address. Just compare how often mail you post not arriving with the amount of other people's mail you receive, the two just dont tally. The RM has a glut of thieving bastards who probably make more money rifling through mail than they'll loose whilst on strike.

And don't get me started on Recorded Delivery and how it can't be tracked unless it arrives…

The sooner the RM is broken up, sold off and fixed the better

**** workshy **** 👿

jupiter
    Free Member

enfht=cock

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Mr MC – more to the point, apart from the lack of poublic sympathy, businesses, the largest users of the service will be inclined to move their biusiness away to private couriers (I seem to be getting a lot of stuff via TNT just now), further weakening the position of themselves and their workers, and strengtheing the government's position with regard to privatising all mail deliveries.

You can blame the incompetent management all you want, but the biggest threat to worker security is increasingly coming from inept union mangement IMO, as they desperatly try to hang on to the last vestiges of power.

enfht
    Free Member

jupiter=thieving postie

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke, how dare you blame the union management! Do you not realise that all they care about is the humble worker?

johnners
    Free Member

"And don't get me started on Recorded Delivery and how it can't be tracked unless it arrives…"

That might be because it's the DELIVERY which gets RECORDED, shame they don't make that clear from the name of the service…

enfht
    Free Member

So Johnners, what does Special Delivery mean? 🙄

CaptJon
    Free Member

"And don't get me started on Recorded Delivery and how it can't be tracked unless it arrives…"

That might be because it's the DELIVERY which gets RECORDED, shame they don't make that clear from the name of the service…

Owned.

I reckon Mandelson must be delighted with some of the comments on this thread, it gives him a mandate to privatise the PO. That will be a massive mistake.

There is lots of talk about modernisation and efficiency – unfortunately that usually means a drop in the quality of service and the number of services offered. If the PO is privatised expect to pay extra if you're posting something more than x miles; if you live in a rural area expect delivers a couple of times a week rather than daily; want something from Northern Ireland? that will cost you more too.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Do you not realise that all they care about is the humble worker?

Oh yes, and keeping them humble too. After all no downtrodden workers = no need for a union.

but

That all depends on how you define RECORDED, DELIVERY and SERVICE.
    For example, not being me but writing my name on the Proof of Delivery is RECORDING something, probably just the laziness and dishonesty of the postman. It must have been DELIVERED someplace, because it did turn up when the sender sent me a copy of the PoD signature and I notified my sorting office that I'd be passing it on to the police as not only theft (missing item) but fraud (forging my signature). Still, that's the kind of SERVICE that's running the organisation into the ground and gets posties the name they've got.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I reckon Mandelson must be delighted with some of the comments on this thread, it gives him a mandate to privatise the PO.

Wow, Mandy reads STW does he? Who do you think he is Captain Flashie? Ernie_Lynch? The Nuisance Formerly Known As Fred? No wait, don't tell me, this isn't a bike oriented web site at all,m it's actually a secret labour consiracy where they whip up their right wing politics knowing we, the lycra clad middle classes will spread them as gospel.
    The quality of the shyte on this site just goes from strength to strength

CaptJon
    Free Member

Wow, Mandy reads STW does he? Who do you think he is Captain Flashie? Ernie_Lynch? The Nuisance Formerly Known As Fred? No wait, don't tell me, this isn't a bike oriented web site at all,m it's actually a secret labour consiracy where they whip up their right wing politics knowing we, the lycra clad middle classes will spread them as gospel.
    The quality of the shyte on this site just goes from strength to strength

Yeah, cos i meant it literally…

enfht
    Free Member

"Hello, can I chase a parcel that hasn't arrived yet please"

"Certainly Sir, how did you send the parcel?"

"I sent it recorded, ref XXXX"

"I'm sorry Sir we can't trace that parcel because it hasn't arrived"

I think Johnners and CaptJon are both aliases for Postman Pat

CaptJohn what does owned mean? Is that "owned" like the cabin boy you have stowed below deck? 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

Wow, Mandy reads STW does he? Who do you think he is Captain Flashie?

Sir, that is a vicious statement. I demand satisfaction! Consider my gauntlet thrown. Pistols at dawn it is.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I think Johnners and CaptJon are both aliases for Postman Pat

CaptJohn what does owned mean? Is that "owned" like the cabin boy you have stowed below deck?

You should use Special Delivery. And where i store my cabin boy is no business of yours, thank you very much.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Sir, that is a vicious statement. I demand satisfaction! Consider my gauntlet thrown. Pistols at dawn it is.

I have arranged with my second to send you details of an appropriate venue.
    They're in the post.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Another failed delivery adventure..
    "yes we can trace that package sir, it's… let me see, ah yes, it's in the van"
    "What van?"
    "The delivery van which delivers to your address, it should be with you shortly"
    "Excellent, when did it go in the van? (meaning what time, address is work, it's a big place, I'll go to the mail room and pick it up)
    "Ahhh let me see, at 1:30 on the 14th"
    "This is 10:30 on the 27th"
    "yes, so it is"
    "Does it take your van 13 days to drive 5 miles across town?"
    "Apparently so, sir" Delivered with no hint of irony

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You should use Special Delivery

What does that mean, using people with mental health problems to deliver mail? Are they any better than the "normal" posties?

zaskar
    Free Member

LOL!

Sandwich

CFH you don't get to choose the weapon if you throw down the challenge. Call yourself a gentleman, pah. 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

Will the postie that delivers the bits my LBS needs to get my bouncer back on the trails please get on with it ?!
    I'm having to do an unfortunate amount of lycra clad road riding 😳
    Mind you, the trails look like gloop after the rain we've had this week.

Aidy
    Free Member

I do seem to have not gotten a hell of a lot of mail over the past 6 months or so.

muppet4
    Free Member

Bunch of w*****s,this is peoples jobs and lives your knocking here – i am one of them and take great offence over some of the comments.I need a job to feed the family which i may fall "below the line" of cuts – surley that is worth fighting for! Its always the minority thats gives a bad name – what about the thousands of us who do a good job and just want to get on. I know we as a company have to role with the times – but just so some "managers" can get a few grand bonus is bo*****s!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i am one of them and take great offence over some of the comments

I wouldn't worry too much about the the offensive comments made by some on here. After all, they are made by arrogant middle-class simpletons who are too stupid to realise that postal workers are fighting to defend a service which they use.

They are far too concerned about getting their mail one day late because of the strike, to have time to worry about the destruction of the universal pricing principle.

Of course when RM no longer provides a postal "service" and mail is delivered by a postal "business" then they can expect their mail to regularly arrive substantially later – depending on where they and the sender, happen to be.

Unbelievably, they trust the dodgy self-serving and twice forced to resign Baron Mandelson, and his mate the RM chief executive (who helps himself to £3 million a year as reward for closing down thousands of post offices*) to defend their services, more than they trust the CWU……. that's how stupid they are.

*ROYAL Mail boss Adam Crozier raked in £3million last year as his company closed 2500 post offices, it was revealed yesterday.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Well said Ernie, although i'm not sure what being middle class has to do with it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i'm not sure what being middle class has to do with it.

The predisposition to be arrogant and condescending towards other people's jobs, is considerably more prevalent amongst the middle-classes than it is amongst the lower-classes.

The reference to "arrogant middle-class simpletons" was in response to muppet4's remark that he took "great offence over some of the comments".

I qualified my comment by using the words "some on here". As, by no means do I believe all middle-class punters on here are 'arrogant simpletons'.

Although……. whilst on STW …I am more than happy to express the same level of prejudice towards the middle-classes, as some are so willing to show towards those from lower social strata.

HTH

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

.I need a job to feed the family which i may fall "below the line" of cuts – surley that is worth fighting for!

Why? I'd say worth thinking about getting out and doing something else. the government are determined to move the service out to the private sector and the unions are determined to help them. That's not news. Why are you still there? because no-one else will employ you? Or because you know your union weree "fihghting for your rights, ensuring easy money for not doing a decent job? Any way you look at it the Royal Mail is pretty much fekked, Fight all you want, all you'll do is bring the day forward. I would have a bit more sympathy if after making all the comments I've made on this thread I hadn't come tonight to find 2 bits of mail on my doormat. They were addressed to 2 different people at 2 different addresses, neither of which was me. I'm waiting for something important which should have arrived on Thursday, still not here.

As, by no means do I believe all middle-class punters on here are 'arrogant simpletons'.

Well how jolly decent of you. And do you have an opinion on those who hide their intellectual and social inadequacies behind the "class struggle". "Arr, son of the soil me, born of honest toil, can barely write me name, but works 15 hours a day serving ye yer burgers 'cos I never got the opportunity to better meself"
    Fekkin eejit.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Royal Mail Strikes Tomorrow and next week.’ is closed to new replies.