Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Royal Mail Strikes Tomorrow and next week.
  • johnners
    Free Member

There are apparently a lot of people posting on this thread who seem to lose a quite staggering amount of mail, and whose only consolation is the bagfulls of other's mail they get through some mysterious karmic compensation scheme. It's amazing, or something.

Now where's that cabin boy, it must be my turn by now?

aracer
    Free Member

Unbelievably, they trust the dodgy self-serving and twice forced to resign Baron Mandelson, and his mate the RM chief executive (who helps himself to £3 million a year as reward for closing down thousands of post offices*) to defend their services, more than they trust the CWU……. that's how stupid they are.

I distrust them all equally.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well how jolly decent of you. And do you have an opinion on ……….

More than likely. Construct me a proper question, and I'll see if I can be bothered to answer it.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I would if your opinion was worth the effort it takes to read it.
    But children and idiots are only good for entertainment, and I'm being entertained just now

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would if your opinion was worth the effort it takes to read it.

Apparently, you think it is.

You have a strange contempt for children btw. You lump them in with 'idiots' and believe that they 'are only good for entertainment' … wtf ? 😕

backhander
    Free Member

F*** em. they'll be employed by some private co soon and payed a LOT less for what is a very simple job. Email is far more sustainable for messages (and still accountable) and there are much more efficient deliverers of parcels out there.
    Strike all you like, it will only vulcanise public opinion against you.
    Ernie, you're a total, total knob. I don't care if you're a postie or guardian writer, you're just a knob.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, you're a total, total knob………. you're just a knob.

Having read your opinion, I'll take that comment as a compliment.

8)

colnagokid

There is, as always, some right #ocks on here!
    "I'm more than allright Jack, and I dont understand why if your unhappy at being a postman you dont get a position as a futures broker/high court judge/internet fraudster?"

AndyP
    Free Member

"I dont understand why if your unhappy at being a postman you dont get a position as a futures broker/high court judge/internet fraudster?"
    I've re-read the thread a couple of times and can't see that quote anywhere, can you point me to it please?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Find the anti-union stuff really funny – most all the protection and benefits all of us have are because of unions – sick pay, holidays, safe working conditions.

Sure they are a bit anachronistic at times but I believe that merely allowing market forces to dictate employer/employee relations could end up in a bad deal for all of us in the long term (though I could be wrong).

Also find it interesting that theres loads of sympathy on here for bankers, marketers, IT bods when they get sacked or shat on yet just contempt for less skilled and public service workers.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've re-read the thread a couple of times and can't see that quote anywhere, can you point me to it please?

It's towards the bottom of page 1.

AndyP
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

It's towards the bottom of page 1.
    interestingly, if you use 'find', there are no mentions of the words 'judge' or indeed 'internet' on page 1.

aracer
    Free Member

Find the anti-union stuff really funny – most all the protection and benefits all of us have are because of unions – sick pay, holidays, safe working conditions.

So because of all the good things they've done in the past, that gives them the right to do whatever they like now? Any contempt most of us have (I'm speaking for myself here) isn't towards the ordinary workers, but the unions and their support of uneconomic practices.

backhander
    Free Member

Having read your opinion, I'll take that comment as a compliment.
    Take it how you like mate. I really couldn't care less.

jupiter
    Free Member

Posts like this reinforce my opinion that there a lot of people in the UK who are selfish arrogant sh*ts. We should have a big Singletrack gathering, not to ride bikes or have a nice time, but just for a big argument and a fight.

backhander
    Free Member

??
    Ahem;

jupiter – Member
    Maybe they just thought you were weak with a rubbish business plan, who would take out his impotent rage on an unrelated web forum.

jupiter
    Free Member

I'm right though.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So because of all the good things they've done in the past, that gives them the right to do whatever they like now? Any contempt most of us have (I'm speaking for myself here) isn't towards the ordinary workers, but the unions and their support of uneconomic practices.

Not at all, but without some form of representation I reckon workers rights will be constantly eroded in the future, just look at private sector pensions – and for some reason many peoples solution is not to try to improve their pension rights but erode other peoples who are still protected.

I think corporate robbing of company pensions and cutting of schemes is the thin end of the wedge and there will continue to be lobbying to reduce sick pay, holiday entitlements etc. as they are uneconomic.

For a business the best thing is for their workforce to have no rights so they can hire and fire at will – you go sick you don't get paid, off for more than a week (example) then you're fired.

Recently saw this with a guy who's wife has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and they have a severely disabled daughter – his boss said 'I employ you not your family, work as usual or you're sacked'.

Personally that's not a world I particularly want to live in.

And in the past sick pay, holidays and those other benefits were considered 'uneconomic', and in reality they are but I think we're better for them.

backhander
    Free Member

I'm right though.

Yes you are.

project
    Free Member

Royal mail is in the buisness of mail as in leters , but have a look at there website for an address to send a complaint letter to,
    Also ring their number 08457740740, and try and speak to a human .

zaskar
    Free Member

dangerousbeans – thats the way it's heading. No worker rights etc.

Best to be a business owner then and junk the job.

project
    Free Member

Now the suitcase throwers at Manchester Airport are walking out,and all the Enterprise staff in Liverpool,so no bins emptied, and no council staff working,(so little channge there then) 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

my five pence is that if other private mail companies become more competetive and overtake the post office with charges, convienience and speed then the Post Office will shrink and die – compete or die surely in the world of Capitalism?

carlosg
    Free Member

But no other company apart from royal mail has the infrastructure to actually deliver over 70 million letters daily , thats why they all forward their letter via royal mail!

foxyrider
    Free Member

But no other company apart from royal mail has the infrastructure to actually deliver over 70 million letters daily , thats why they all forward their letter via royal mail!

at the present time! it's only a matter of time? Don't get me wrong we should support RM as its an institution but as with all public services should be efficient as possible esp the NHS!

but surely the delivery is the most costly part of the system?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

backhander – Member

"Having read your opinion, I'll take that comment as a compliment."

Take it how you like mate. I really couldn't care less.

You couldn't care less ? ………..Of course you could !

You could completely ignore me for a start – don't read my posts and don't comment on them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

aracer – Member

So because of all the good things they've done in the past, that gives them the right to do whatever they like now?

…….the unions and their support of uneconomic practices.

So unions can do whatever they like ……. can they aracer ?

You are obviously living in a completely different country/planet/universe. Tell me which one it is, I'll like to pay a visit – I think I might like it.

Uneconomic practices ? Well on this planet, 'uneconomic practices' made the Royal Mail £321 million in profit last year – almost double the profit of the previous year.

Royal Mail profits almost double

It's worth remembering that any profit Royal Mail makes, goes (because it hasn't been privatised) into the government's coffers. And the more money that is pumped into the government's coffers, the less the government has to raise through taxation. So Royal Mail are subsidising the tax payer, rather than the other way round.

Of course in the days before the Royal Mail was asset-stripped by Thatcher, the huge mind-boggling profits made by Post Office Telephones subsidised the tax payer even more. I guess that is one of the reasons why the UK tax burden shot up to it's highest level in history under the Tories.

It seems aracer, that despite having joined a trade union, you would still rather believe the myths and bollox spouted by the multi-millionaire Royal Mail chief executive, and the unelected (unelected by anyone for anything) acting British Prime Minister

Here he is practising his egg sucking technique …

No wait …………….. you said, "I distrust them all equally"

So you think the elected officials of the CWU are as dodgy as the corrupt liars of New Labour do you ? Have you got some information which you want to share ?

There's only two sides in this dispute. Cut out the liberal fence sitting, and make up your mind up which side you support.

chakaping
    Free Member

A classic example of too much union power.

You should be jealous of the union power that posties and railwaymen have.

I don't know why I bothered wading through this thread, I didn't want to and it's left me a bit depressed at the blinkered and selfish views expressed.

As someone else has suggested, 'modernisation' is code for job losses and a worse service.

You'd probably get your mail twice a week if the bosses had their way. Would you support that because it was more economical?

druidh
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

You'd probably get your mail twice a week if the bosses had their way. Would you support that because it was more economical?

Actually, that would do me fine. Nothing urgent ever comes via the postie.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Royal Mail Strikes Tomorrow and next week.’ is closed to new replies.