Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Routes near Woolacombe
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Hi. all, off to Woolacombe in the near future & looking for any routes nearby-any suggestions?.Tracklogs welcome!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

My suggestion would be to bring a road bike. Otherwise, there are a few local trails but nothing to get excited about and they're mostly cheeky with irate farmers/walkers all the way at this time of year.

Your best bet for mtb is Exmoor, although all the really good rising is on the other side in Somerset (about 45mins drive).

Conespanner

As the previous reply.

I was there camping with the family last week and earnt myself a two hour ride for good behaviour. 50% was on the road/national cycle trail the remaining 50% off road and it was a complete muddy mess. They have some very thick mud in Devon!!

For the record i Went Woolacombe campsite to croyde to Morthoe (A rather nice pint in the chichester arms) back to woolacombe campsite approx 12 miles.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

'Tis true, and it's not been the driest summer down here this year.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The same question was asked last week, although I think it was Illfracombe. Answer was that nearest decent sufff is Exmoor.

Stayed in a campsite at Morthoe 07 and 08. Took my cx bike with off road tyres the first time and cx bike with road tyres the second time. There really is very little off road riding in the very local area. As above just about any bridleway I found was a muddy mess.

snaps
    Free Member

Conespanners route sounds similar to the blue route here, a bit cheeky to the south west bit but about 14 miles through Croyde
    The red route at the north end is has been ruined by steps in most of the steep bits near the coast but is OK if you don't mind a fair bit of carrying.
    The southerly red is a route I do from home, up the hidden valley to Spreacombe quarry via Braunton & although muddy in parts, was generally very good last week.

Email me if you want a bigger image.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

That's not to say it's not worth bringing your bike. There is some fantastic riding in our area. Just nothing on Woolacombe's doorstep. There are some okay routes around Barnstaple. Snaps is your man for local knowledge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Woolacombe’ is closed to new replies.