Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Route advice – Fort William and westwards
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The week after next Mrs M and I are renting a cottage near Roshven in the Ardnanurchan/Moidart area west of Fort William. I will have a pass for a couple of days biking, so I’m looking for any interesting routes suggestions. I will have a car so can be fairly flexible and could even do a one way route with Mrs M dropping me off and picking me up.

Ideally looking for something that would keep me occupied for 5-7 hours plus another around 3-4 hours and especially anything including some good technical descents. Happy to travel as far as Fort William-ish but ideally not much further than that. With the amount of rain we’ve had, and looking at the forecast, anything that could get boggy will be.

Over to you guys – all suggestions gratefully received

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Come on guys and gals. I can’t believe that no-one has any experience of this area at all. Help me out here

grum
    Free Member

There’s some great looking stuff in Glencoe area (Devil’s Staircase/Blackwater Dam etc) – not done it meself though, and it’s a bit further round than you wanted.

halington
    Free Member

From Fort William you could ride south on the west highland way to Kinlochleven then do the well known Ciaran path loop. That’s got some good technical descents on it. The trails at Nevis Range are pretty good too. I’m sure there’ll be some good wild riding around Moidart too, but without local knowledge it would be hard to make a good loop and I imagine would be mainly forest/access track sort of stuff. Maybe best to ask in Nevis Cycles?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drive round to Mallaig, morning ferry over to Inverie, pootle/walk about and take the place in, and then lunch at the Old Forge inn. Catch afternoon ferry from Inverie, but get off at Tarbet (almost the head of Loch Nevis) and then cycle up and over the top to the shores of Loch Morar, and back along to Morar village. Then return by road to Mallaig.

Not the longest of rides, granted, but if the weather holds, it’s a lovely wee day out in remote country. The ride from Tarbet to Bracorina(sp?) is rocky and rollercoastery singletrack.

CraigW
    Free Member

Not done it myself, but Cona Glen looks like a nice route. You could do it one way, from Glenfinnan to Inverscaddle, or vice versa. Maybe going to Camusnagaul for the ferry to Fort William.

trail_rat
    Free Member

camusnagual ferry is a bit sporadic and the old chap is quite angry towards bikes ime Young lad is sound as a pound

cona glen – round to strontian for lunch at the sunart cafe then over to pollach and back along to glenfinnan would be a good day out 😀

Freester

I have only really ridden Glencoe / Fort Bill area.

For a long day I recommend a route from Fort Bill south along West Highland Way then follow the track to Spean Bridge / Fort Bill via Mamore Lodge / Loch Eilde Mor / Luibelt (I think this is similar to the Tour De Ben Nevis?), there is a river crossing at one point. You can pick this route up at Fort Bill or Kinlochleven if you wish. This is a true wilderness ride on the East of Ben Nevis if you are on your own let someone know your route and expected return time. I think this route was in MBR a while back.

For the half day push up Devils Staircase and ride down the other side. Where you meet the fire trail turn right to Blackwater Dam, cross at the dam and take the Ciaran Path to Kinlochleven. You can ride back to your car at the foot of the staircase (about 10 miles on road) or get Mrs Taxi M to pick you up in Kinlochleven…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, for those suggestions.

Ciaran Path from either Kinlochleven or Glencoe is a possibility. I’ve done it before from Glencoe via the Devil’s Staircase and back. Not a huge fan of the Ciaran Path but might be the right time to give it another go.

nobeerinthefridge – was thinking about Tarbet and back along the loch
    trail_rat – Cona Glen, Strontian, Glenfinnan looks like a lot of road work unless you know any cut paths through the middle?
    freester – Kinlochleven to Spean bridge via Loch Eilde Mor looks interesting. How boggy would it be?

For those who know the area, another couple of thoughts:
    Ben Nevis – I know it’s not all rideable, but worth doing?
    Ben Nevis path to Lochan Meall an t Suide, then down into Coire Leis to as near the shelter as possible and do the path back to the distillery?
    Carn Mor Dearg? I there a path down the ridge?
    Path from Acharacle to Glenborrowdale?

Freester

freester – Kinlochleven to Spean bridge via Loch Eilde Mor looks interesting. How boggy would it be?

Not at all – it’s all pretty rocky / loose / gravelly. Expect deep puddles but no real gloop apart from a 100 yards north of the river crossing at Luibeilt. It’s a push / hike up in parts up the singletrack after the crossing but worth it.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Archarcle to Kilmory is possible along northern Ardnamurchan peninsualar. Worth going on to Sanna Sands and lighthouse. Back on Road or get picked up.

I have done Strontian to Glenfinnan and enjoyed it, but it is not too technical (did it as part of big loop with half on road)

Did the Ben Nevis loop a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed, though it is a long day out with plenty of challenging riding. If a lot of rain before river crossing may not be possible, and be quite dangerous.

If wet, Fort Bill trails will hold up quite well.

For a nice walk, go into Peanmenach Bothy on the opposite side of Loch Ailort from Roshven, great to stay the night, or better still canoe over.

druidh
    Free Member

http://pescetarianrevolutions.wordpress.com/

No photos yet I’m afraid. We need to get the coding worked out

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice one Druidh – I have walked strontian to glenfinnan. I thought it might be better cycled the other way. Lovely bit of the world

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, thanks guys I will have a closer look on the map and see what I can fit in.

Any opinions on Ben Nevis an or the path down Coire Leis?

druidh
    Free Member

I was up walking in Coire Leis about a month ago and they were still doing track repairs. It looked reasonably rideable. Quite a stiff climb up from the car park to the edge of the forest….

gusamc
    Free Member

Saw the Glensanda landing strip route ages ago on MM and was wondering about that. No idea what it’s like or if it’s worth doing.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=182156&y=746734&z=110&sv=glensanda&st=6&tl=Map+of+Glensanda,+Morvern,+Oban,+Argyll,+PA34&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/glensanda-super-quarry__o_t__t_716.html

(*Sorry if that rubbish but I’m at work and lots of bits of web pages don’t show, like photos ……….)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Druid, do you reckon a Ben Nevis path to Lochan Meall an t Suide, then down into Coire Leis would be doable to make it a loop, or would there be too much hike a bike

gusamc, but not sure I fancy doing that on the bike

So, still not had any comments on whether Ben Nevis would actually be worth the ballache of the push up?

And one other question for those in the know about the area. I know the gondola is now closed but is the red route actually closed or could you ride/push up and ride it down?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Route advice – Fort William and westwards’ is closed to new replies.