Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Roof Rack or Boot ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

since selling my old GTi a couple of years ago, I've perservered with bikes in the boot of my Civic.
    i have 2 591 carriers in my shed not getting use, but Honda want £240 for a set of roof bars for the Type R. Thule don't do a version for the new 3 door Civic.
    So, do I continue in the boot or do I take the plunge and get my 591's used again ?
    opinion sought.

TIA

druidh
    Free Member

If you can manage them in the boot, I'd go with that. Less of a hit on fuel, better for the bikes (being out of the weather at speeds) and more secure.

When I had my Civic, that worked OK for two of us. Any more and I used a tow-bar mounted Thule rack.

zangolin
    Free Member

Tow bar would be my preference also.

druidh
    Free Member

Some of the 3-door Civics won't take a tow-bar. Too much plastic and there's also an issue with suspension height IIRC

the_lecht_rocks

type r isn't allowed a tow bar.
    it's either roof or boot.
    further opinions ?

househusband

Another vote for the tow bar mounted option; so much easier, quieter when driving – and the Thule rack I've got comes off in minutes and tilts so I can still get into the boot. No having to take roof bars on and off all the time; I drive 450miles/week and the fuel economy hit would be severe on that mileage.

me1onhead
    Free Member

Boot racks "….better for the bikes (being out of the weather at speeds) and more secure."

I fail to understand the reasoning behind this, especially the more secure aspect 😕
    I feel much happier with my bike on the roof than the boot rack.
    Greater fuel consumption is obviously one aspect against roof racks, but boot racks must have some impact on MPG, and unless you are covering great distances I would have thought the difference between the two was negligable.
    Mind you, getting the bike on the roofrack after recovering from a frozen shoulder was a bit worrying for a while.

druidh
    Free Member

me1onhead – Member
    Boot racks "….better for the bikes (being out of the weather at speeds) and more secure."

I fail to understand the reasoning behind this, especially the more secure aspect

Go back and read my post again

JoeNation
    Free Member

unless you are covering great distances I would have thought the difference between the two was negligable (sic)

You'd be surprised. Roof racks are a killer for mpg, boot racks not nearly as bad (especially if you're like me and drive everywhere at 55mph when I'm using mine for fear of it falling off).

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Why do you not want a tow bar?

You'll be surprised at just how handy one is – I love mine. If your concerned about how your car will look with one then note that you can get detachable versions. Only you will know it's there and when you don't need it you simply take it off and stow it in the boot.

druidh
    Free Member

Zedsdead – Member
    Why do you not want a tow bar?

You'll be surprised at just how handy one it – I love mine. If your concerned about how your car will look with one then note that you can get detachable versions. Only you will know it's there and when you don't need it you simply take it off and stow it in the boot.

Because his model of Civic can't have one.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

really? I find that hard to believe? What's the reason?

Edit; I see that Honda will invalidate warranty and there are suspension/insurance issues etc.

the_lecht_rocks

i have the type r.
    the flywheel is designed to be as light as poss, allowing free'er revving and higher rpm.
    consequently, towing isn't an option. hence the no tow bar allowance 🙁

deserter
    Free Member

change car would be my choice then

the_lecht_rocks

deserter – not a priority. it's a couple of years old, bought it new, owes me nowt and is reliable and very cheap to run.
    it's basically a hack car for me and i'll probably run it for 5 more years or so. pointless changing it.
    think i'll look out the 591's tomorrow and give them a quick lube and service.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Have you looked at atera roof bars? they list on for 3 door Civic 2007 on, not sure if the type R needs a special one.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

my mistake, they list it, but there doesn't seem to be one. Sorry

the_lecht_rocks

john – i have searched – seems the Honda unit is the only available unit unfortunately.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Put it in the boot.

Stop off at the shops/cafe on the way home without stress. No worrying about fasteners coming loose. No 90mph winds blasting cack into your bike. No having to drive slowly to stop your rack breaking.

The only problem is what happens in an accident. You could tie the bike down in the boot I suppose.

michaelr
    Free Member

I would have thought a tow bar and rack with 2 bikes is not really considered towing as they would not weigh much more than 60kgs. I am sure towing means a heavy trailer/caravan.

daveb
    Free Member

I prefer roof racks but they do hammer fuel economy, pity about not being able to fit a tow bar as they are normally excellent and always seem so much secure than boot mounted ones – and again normally even better for fuel economy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Roof Rack or Boot ?’ is closed to new replies.