Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Roof Rack for Whyte E120
  • steviepcommencal
    Free Member

As above, I have just bought myself an E120 and I am in the process of getting a roof rack rather than taking the bike apart and putting it in the boot.

Any idea’s which rack/carrier would be best with the carbon frame?

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

+1 me too! tricky frame to rack up. I can only think on of those with a ‘monkey wrench’ type head would be good?
    roof box co.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

or this more

just had a quick look, neither of those will fit!

matt_outandabout

Front wheel off one or boot mounted ‘two prongs’ jobs instead?

DickBarton

Does it have a 15QR axle? If so, Pendle seem to be the only one that offers a fork-mount rack that fits (but it isn’t lockable). I tried the frame clamp racks and didn’t get on with them – Thule Proride one would be the best if the frame allowed it to fit but it doesn’t. the cheaper rack (that clamps the frame on the sides) didn’t seem to grip the frame well enough and I could move my frame out the clamps without too much effort – so they went back as well.

I’ve settled on the Pendle single bike roof rack with 15QR and it’s brilliant apart from the inability to lock the bike to it.

Thule were going to be making a 15QR compatible rack but held off and then when I contacted them was told that there was no market for a 15QR rack so they had decided not to make one (this was about a year ago).

I had a nosey at the Atera but thought it looked too similar to the Thule ones so decided against it as the clamp doesn’t have enough space to be positioned and locked on the frame.

Bike on rack by DickBarton, on Flickr

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

It almost seems to need a ‘U’ shaped head, which a strap can be used to hold the bike in it.

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

well, got back from a ride today and had the bike up on a Thule 530 I think, it had a side clamp system which seemed to work fine (no side to side play) but wanted to see if there was anything else

I do have a 15mm front axle so the one above might be a go-er

DickBarton

I found the side-clamp racks just didn’t hold the frame securely enough – due to the shape it was only held in by 1 place in the whole clamp face…I could fit things between frame and clamp surface so it was very easy to get the bike to move out the clamp – didn’t leave me overly confident that it would hold at all.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Would the 530 be ok with a strap from below the clamp and over/around the frame?

dseenya
    Free Member

You can buy an adapter to fit a 15mm QR to the Thule 561.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=hurricane&CategoryIDs=6

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Roof Rack for Whyte E120’ is closed to new replies.