Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Roller garage doors – worthy upgrade?
  • DrP

Like you, I keep a fair value of velos in my workshop ([cough]garage[/cough]), and have a simple up-and-over garage door.

Not only is it a bit insecure, it's also pretty innefective at keeping out the cold winter chills…..

Have been thinking about changing it for a roller door garage from 'autoroll garage doors', and can get one delivered for about £650.

Like this, but single, and without the dog…

Anyone in the know, and who isn't trying to sell me one (!), that can let me know if they are more insulated and more secure?

Ta peeps,

DrP

tree-magnet
    Free Member

They're not going to be any better insulated, although if it's a better fit than your current one it'll cut down on drafts. At the end of the day it's only a single, or possibly double, skin of metal, so there's very little insulation properties.

As for security, they're still not going to stop a determined thief, but they're pretty secure. My friends one has deadlock bolts at the side as well. He also has a ground anchor inside that he chains and padlocks the door to and then uses the internal door to his kitchen to exit through.

DrP

The bumph on the website states they are foam filled for better insulation -was wondering if anyone has real first hand experience on the 'warmth front' at all?

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, being as your garge ceiling/roof probably isn't insulated at all, and heat rises, I doubt it'll make much difference. It might be better fitting and prevent draughts though. 🙂

DickBarton

Assuming it's cold so you can't spend as long in the garage I'd suggest an extra layer on you and move faster, that way you will stay warmer for longer and can gte the necessary fettling and 'me' time sorted…

richcc
    Free Member

I'm thinking of one to improve on my knackered up and over. My garage roof will be insulated with a bedroom above it. Hope that's going to improve it's K value

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've got a Hormann double skin sectional door. It doesn't really make much difference to the temperature but because it's automated with no handle, there's no attach point for the local toe rags which works for me. With a PIR and an industrial door contact hooked up to the alarm I feel somewhat reassured leaving my bikes behind when I go to work!

DrP

Live in a terrace of 'town houses' and as such, the garage has a room above it and the hallway to the side.
    The downstairs (not just the garage) is noticably colder than the other 2 levels, and the wall between the garage and hall IS insulated, but again, feels pretty cold compared to other internal walls. It's not just the isolated garage temp I want to increase, but the whole downstairs. The rest of the house (windows etc) are fully insulated – I feel the garage is the 'weak point'.

My gut feeling is that the better fitting, and insulated slats, will offer some benefit, but above ideas taken on board!

DrP

Brooker99
    Free Member

We're in a similar position. Looked at roller doors but decided too expensive for the time being.

My father in law swears that fitting foil backed slabs of foam insulation and some brush strip to his up and over door has made an enormous amount of difference. Doesn't look too pretty but does the job…

Not sure how heavy that makes the door but his is powered and the motor's not burnt out yet…

topangarider
    Free Member

We have one but without the motor. Can't say its that warm in there – but I have an uninsulated flat roof above.

What I would say is that without the motor, they are probably no more sucure than an up and over – so either get the motor driven one, or think about how you will lock it shut.

Pierre

My parents have one without the motor (it came with the house).

Can't say I'm that impressed, it doesn't feel much more sturdy than the old up and over kind. And there's a whacking great gap at the top when it's pulled down.

However, it's entirely possible that they don't have the make of door you're looking at, just a crappy roller door.

It may be worth trying to get quotes from people who make shutters and doors for warehouses and shops – they're designed for security and daily use so should be sturdy and reliable.

HTH.

: P

sadmadalan

Just had a roller door fitted, as the up and over door finally died. We have one that is supposed to have some insulation value, but the main value is that the draughts have stopped. Given that the garage is not heated I suspect that it will not feel any warmer. I suspect that it is 'safer' but that is mainly because there is not outside handle – and ours is a motor driven one as well. There are some which are specifically designed to be more secure.

thumbie
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hormann.

Well sealed for draughts & stops leaves & other crap blowing in & as Onzadog says seem 'reassuring'.

Spoke to numerous people regarding Hormann vs. Securoglide with differing perspectives. As far as garage doors go these seem to be amongst the best but its down to personal choice over the roller vs. sectional. If you go to Securoglide website there is a demo video of the security. It certainly takes a beating. Have a look.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hormann sectional up & over door. Typical piece of German quality engineering & it works a treat. I've had mine for over 10 years without any problems, just oil the roller guides every time I remember. It's not cheap but for me quality counts.

allthegear
    Free Member

The aeroplane I jumped out of the other week had a roller door – seemed to work well…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Roller garage doors – worthy upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.