Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rockshox Revelation – Self service or shop?
  • transapp
    Free Member

Just seeking opinions really (not a troll), looking around, to service my 2009 u-turn dual airs, it’s going to cost almost the same in parts (seals, oil etc) as it would to send to loco / tft / lbs. So, why do people do them at home. What am I missing? I’ll admit to not servicing them previously, but I’m reasonably handy when it comes to doing such things (brakes etc are no worries) so I’m not too afraid of the job.

xiphon
    Free Member

Same cost for someone else, with years of experience, to do it for you?

No brainer personally!

ste_t
    Free Member

Because buying all the bits to do it yourself gets you enough to service them many times over. Plus you get them back in use in no time at all instead of waiting days.

Really is a no brainer.

Conan257
    Free Member

I’m going to service my 2009 Revelation coils in the very near future…

But i’m confused as to how you’re going to be spending around £90 on a home service. Retail the full service kit is around £40.

Once you have a collection of oils then they last several services.

bigjim

It is very easy to do yourself, the only bad thing is seeing how little there is inside your forks given how much you paid for them.

If you don’t want to pay rock shox £20 for a few o rings there is a thread on mtbr forum somewhere listing the ones you need to buy, I bought them all for 2 sets of forks online for a few quid.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I paid £8.75 for a full set of O rings for my Rebas – via a recommendation on this thread. I assume the guy also sells the equivalent for Revs, it may even be exactly the same set.

As others have said, the oil will do many services. Its a bit nerve-wracking the first time you take your forks to bits, but when you’ve done it once you’ll find it very simple the next time. Just follow the instructions in the Rockshox service manual. Nice and slowly, with a cup of tea, making sure you don’t miss any steps and remember the order you took things apart in.

Do invest in some circlip pliers if you’re opening up the internals though, mine cost less than a tenner.

And the best way to avoid stanchion wear is to do the small lube service every few months. That’s even easier, and completely unnecessary to send them away just for that.

transapp
    Free Member

At that price for an o ring set, it’s a no brainier to DIY. I got the prices for the kits of parts from an old thread by loco, must admit I hadn’t looked into it enough.
    Thanks for links and advice all. Much appreciated.

Conan257
    Free Member

offthebrakes – Member
    Nice and slowly, with a cup of teap

Be very careful when using fluids not recommended by the manufacturer!

RockShox state very clearly that you should have a cold beverage when servicing forks…

transapp
    Free Member

OK, I’ve bee looking though this some more and it’s getting to the stage where I want to scream.
    It looks like I need a kit of parts for the dampening leg, (roughly £20), plus a kit for the dual air side (roughly £25) plus oils, plus grease…
    Now I’m getting back to tft tuned prices, and frankly, by the time time I’ve had an ‘episode’ with it, the same time to get it done!
    Please someone tell me I’m wrong!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

transapp – if you read any of the advice you were given yesterday and in your v. similar post today:

– you are either trying to wind us up / piss us off.
    – you are overanalysing a “problem” you dont have
    – you want to splash a shed load of cash that you dont need to but want to bitch about, or justify

Honestly – some times folk ask for advice and you dont want to listen.

I’m an expert on this not listening btw!

Honestly – do a lowers service – or go mental and buy the evilhomer kit, if you need wipers after that then buy then from TF.

/End of grumpy mode/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why do you want to replace seals and o rings – are they leaking? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Simply do an oil change ( and foam rings if it has them) and it will be fine for another few months. there is no need to change any seals unless they are leaking

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Oops- I’ve gone over grumpy so honest aplogies,

Telemaster18 isnt transapp. My only excuse is the exact same Q about the same forks.

Transapp -if that’s my mistake – I do apologise.

nbt

I’ve never bothered changing o-rings, as TJ says if they’re not leaking then don’t bother. I’ve changed the foam seals and oil, that’s it

transapp
    Free Member

No worries haven’t seen that other post by telemaster18 so I’ll have a hunt.
    So, folks generally do an oil change only, not a full on swap everything over and pay the associated. That sounds like a winner. I’m not getting any leaks, the main reason for the service is that I may have u-turned the air spring right out the leg mid ride….. They still work, but I can’t help thinking they need a bit of tlc!

Conan257
    Free Member

Do a lower leg service, that’ll generally improve performance and keep them going a lot longer for reasonable outlay.

I think they suggest a lower leg service every 50 hours!

bigjim

Do the lower leg service first and see how that goes. I just buy a new set of dust wipers, and reuse the crush washers underneath the bolts, with no problem. Doing a full service on all the insides is a bit more involved but isn’t difficult, though there is potential for going wrong like forgetting where a seal was, scratching a surface, forgetting to remove pressure and and shooting your eyes out, etc…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Revelation – Self service or shop?’ is closed to new replies.