• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rockshox Recon 351 Air
  • DaveE

Anybody had any experience of these
    Wanted for Orange P7

singlespeedstu

I've just fitted a 2010 Recon 351 solo air trail.

Not been out on it yet though….

Jase_MK
    Free Member

What does 351 mean? Or indeed any other of the RockShox model numbers (like the various Pike models)? Does it refer to something specific or is it just an arbitrary model number?

I have a Recon 335 SL air fork (only air in one leg, I guess that's what the Solo refers to), 120mm. Haven't had any problems at all, seems smooth, no noticeable flex, well controlled adjustable damping, can't fault it really.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

just an arbitrary model number?

Yes. 🙂

(only air in one leg, I guess that's what the Solo refers to),

No. 🙂

All forks (Or most at least) have only a single leg for the spring these days, the other for damping.

It's to distinguish it drom 'Dual Air' models which have 2 valves so you can tune the +ve and -ve air independantly of each other. Solos only have one valve and auto-set the -ve air to the same as the +ve.
    Therefore less complicated, cheaper, lower in the range.

🙂

DaveE

Explosion In a Spaghetti Factory
    What have u fitted them to. HT or FS

Jase_MK
    Free Member

FS.

Meh, they feel fine to me – unlike other forks and various other components that I've given some stick over the last 20 years, I can't say I've ever really had any conscious thoughts about these forks while riding, positive or negative.

singlespeedstu

Dave E – Premier Member

Explosion In a Spaghetti Factory
    What have u fitted them to. HT or FS

Neither.

They're on our tandem. 😯

Should be a good test for them….

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I'm such an idiot, I thought "Explosion in a spaghetti Factory" was a euphemism for more bendy and wobbly than a wobbly thing. Hence me defending my point.

Sorry, carry on

singlespeedstu

Jase_MK – Member

I'm such an idiot, I thought "Explosion in a spaghetti Factory" was a euphemism for more bendy and wobbly than a wobbly thing. Hence me defending my point.

No it's what someone on here once called on of my bikes when they were trying to insult me.
    I kind of liked it though. 😀

letmetalktomark

I have a set bought from JE James (2009) on my Canzo (130mm version)

I'm not massively techy when it comes to forks only owning a Reba Race and a couple of older pairs of Marzocchi's but the Recon's do exactly what I want them to do.

I ride pretty hard and am 100kg and so far (like the Reba's) have been faultless.

Hope this helps???

BlobOnAStick

Dave – had recons on my Genesis IO for the past year.

They work, and I'm about the same weight as you ain't I?

Depends if you're going to use your rad skillz, or just ride round FOD.

ampthill

I think

351 has motion control, variable blow off on lock out

335 has fixed blow off on lock out

singlespeedstu

I think

351 has motion control, variable blow off on lock out

There's no variable blow off (flood gate) on the 351 trail.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Got some OE 351 Recons from Je James recently. Only ridden them a couple of times, but so far feel good, only downside they have a steel steerer which adds a bit of weight.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox-recon-351-item97121.html

Merlin are doing them cheap i saw the other day as well;

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/marzocchi-and-rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-recon-351-air.html

ampthill

Mr Explosion

http://www.sram.com/node/47/brand/rockshox/src/rt

Whats being listed here

I'm assuming the adjustment is internal but adjustable non the less

Not interested in an argument just keen to know

John

ahwiles
    Free Member

bloody good forks.

130mm travel, motion control rebound/compression damping, 1990grams, £190.

they're not thru-axle, but i really haven't noticed on my usual techy xc stuff.

we should be more excited by cheap stuff that works well.

thankyou Sram!

overkill
    Free Member

Does it refer to something specific or is it just an arbitrary model number?

The numbers are different motor sizes in cubic inches made in the 60's and early 70's by the three major american car companies.

eg: 335 ci was a motor made by Ford (as were 289, 302, 351,etc.)

mboy
    Free Member

Had some 351 coils on a bike for about a year. Essentially the same fork just with coil sprung rather than air.

Anyway, the fork was excellent. OK, not the lightest fork out there for its travel by some way (Air sprung is about 1/2 lb lighter, so usefully so) but very stiff for a QR fork, damping was WAY better than anything else even remotely close in price (I did buy mine for £160 brand new though!) as it's essentially the same Motion Control as on Pikes/Rebas/Revelations just without the adjustable compression damping threshold, but would you use it if you had it even? I found the damping just about spot on anyway, there's lots of rebound adjustment to be had too, and a lockout if you want/need/use it at all…

FWIW I'm more of a fan of the Rockshox Solo Air springs than I am their Dual Air. Simple reason is they're easy to setup! Yes, with a Dual Air you can faff about, and get different characteristics. But the Solo Air system matches the positive and negative pressures exactly, just as PeterPoddy said, meaning you automatically get the best setup IMO.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Recon 351 Air’ is closed to new replies.