Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rockshox Monarch RT3 vs Fox Evo CTD
  • bowglie

I currently have a Fox CTD shock (basic Evolution version) on my Camber Evo, and am not impressed with it at all – I’ve stuck a 120mm Pike on the bike and this has just highlighted how c*** the shock is. Ive done the usual playing about with different air pressure, but I think I’m possibly a bit too heavy for the stock tune on the shock. However, as it’s not a boost valve shock, I can’t get it Push tuned.

As it’s a weird Specialized shock mount, my aftermarket shock choices a limited. I’ve seen an RS Monarch RT3 that would fit. Has anyone gone from an Evo CTD shock to a Monarch RT3? If so, how does it compare?

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few shocks recently and my monarch debonair rt3 has been the best shock. I wouldn’t go back to fox now.

I prefer the black to kashima too

rickon
    Free Member

The Evo shock is a piece of garbage. The Rt3 can take volume bands, which if you’re heavy, you’ll need some.

bowglie

Thanks for the info. Only slight worry is the recent thread by agnik, but fingers crossed I won’t a Friday afternoon special! (I’ve had the basic Monarch RL on a previous bike and it was faultless).

trusty

I’ve swapped to a monarch plus on my stumpy evo from the basic fox. It’s a big improvement performance wise but not perfect. I’m under 13 stone but needed to fit all 6 bands to get enough support. Plus the first one developed visible wear on the shaft in the first couple of weeks, virtually no lubrication in it. Eventually replaced under warranty. The replacement is currently back at Fisher, as when I did it’s first seal change I found the ribs that held one of the seals in place was so bent I couldn’t fit the new seal. Third time lucky I hope

granny_ring

Have you spoken to LoCo to see if he can do anything?

poah
    Free Member

can’t really do anything with the basic fox unit

leftyboy
    Free Member

What spec do you need for the Stumpy?

bowglie

Flippin’ heck Trusty, that’s a bit of a nightmare eh?! Sounds like Rockshox need to get to grips with QC in their factory (guess they’ve outsourced manufacturing to a cheapskate place in China).

From speaking to TF & Loco, the tuning options on the Evolution shocks are limited to fitting plastic volume adjusters. I guess my other option would be to try and pick up an old Fox boost valve CTD and get TF to rebuild the existing with parts from donor shock, and then Push tune it. Might try plastic volume spacer first to see if that makes thing a bit more progressive tho.

trusty

It’s not the best, but options are limited for the stumpjumper (and camber I’d guess). More aftermarket options are available for the enduro but no-one seems interested the shorter travel specialized bikes. I did look around for a custom built fox, but it’s an expensive option unless you can find a cheap shock to have converted

bowglie

Yes, I noticed the lack of options for ‘non Enduro’ Spesh bikes. The OH had a custom Push tuned shock built by TF tuned, using original Evolution shock and donor Performance model shock off Fleabay – but I think the total cost came in at £260ish. Have to say though, it completely transformed her bike for the better.

I’ve stuck a wanted ad on here for some Fox volume spacers, so fingers crossed on that (Mojo want £33 for them…..3 bits of plastic FFS!)

p.s. Trusty, did your Monarch come with spare volume spacer rings/bands? (Looks like the shock Ive seen comes with service kit with seals etc. but couldn’t see any obvious volume spacers in photo)

trusty

I’m not sure if the standard fox air spacers fit, Loco added one to mine but I think it’s a modified one.

I think my monarch plus came with 3 fitted and no spares.

bowglie

Oh yes, I bet Specialized’s Autosag thing means the normal volume spacers don’t fit…argh (….next bike I get will have as few proprietary parts as possible!). I spotted the Monarch bottomless tokens on TF Tuned though, and at least they’re only £12 a pack.

Doing a bit of Googling, it also looks like RS did some improvements to the internals for the 15/16 model years, and it looks like they’ve got more refined damping and oil flow systems than the crummy Fox Evolution. Anyway, thanks for the feedback trusty – hope your shock gets sorted out ok.

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Monarch RT3 vs Fox Evo CTD’ is closed to new replies.