Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rock shox pikes help please.
  • pastypunk

I have a set of 2014 140mm pike rct3 29er solo air forks, probably ride less the 250 miles on them, have noticed that they have a knock on top out, if you lift the front of the bike off the ground there is a noticeable clunk and seems to be about 5 mm of free movement in the Tavel. Is this normal or should I get them checked out?

Superficial
    Free Member

That is normal. As in, they all do it – every set I’ve seen including mine. Apparently if you bleed the damper perfectly then it doesn’t happen but it doesn’t seem to affect them in use so I haven’t bothered.

That said, I’ve heard of RS warrantying them for this issue (Maybe only severe cases?) so their stance is not completely clear.

pastypunk

Thanks will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then look at warranty route, it’s my only bike and don’t want to be without it at the mo..

nickdavies

Search on here – there’s loads of threads about it.
    Mine don’t do it but I think they’re one of the few that don’t. 5mm of travel sounds more than usual though?

poah
    Free Member

mine did this, was really noticable on climbs. sent it in for a warranty case as the rebound was fubard as well. sorted after that.

I’d send them in

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Mine do it, ive put it down to the idle weight of the bike and using a slight slight bit of travel. When lifting the front end up it takes the weight off and tops out the fork. Its a very minimal clunk.

I cant replicate it in riding, only when i lift front end up when bike is leant against a wall say.

stoney
    Free Member

I have only put mine on the bike as i am building it, ( not ridden them yet) and they do it…. as in testing them in the front room with no wheels, you have to pull them up with your hands the last 5mm?. That is “out of the box”….

SO, why are they like this?, before i email the shop and “let them know”!

pastypunk

Don’t know why but doesn’t seem right to me, going to contact supplier ( merlin) this week and see what they say, will keep you posted.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I doubt there is anything wrong as every forum, and every owner has this small top out?

poah
    Free Member

mine didn’t from new nor did it do when the rebound damping went.

kimbers

Don’t think mine do it

They made a clunk when I hadn’t tightened one of the bottomless tokens enough and it was rattling around

Let out the air, unscrew the top cap and make sure they are all accounted for

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mine are silent, does that mean they’re broken or perfect?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rock shox pikes help please.’ is closed to new replies.