Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Earphones or not?
  • skeff10
    Free Member

thoughts on riding with earphones in?
    I personally don’t but….. a bit of nirvana?

BillOddie

I do sometimes, I haven’t died yet.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

All the time apart from on road.

I mean all the time.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Holds no appeal to me. I like the peace*

*lucky enough to live somewhere where the riding is peaceful both on and off road

slowoldman

Strangely given my love of music and my well stuffed iPhone, I still manage to spend most of my life without earphones in.

z1ppy

I do off-road (alone obviously), one ear only on road bits.

faustus

Not.

chip
    Free Member

LBC when on road , nowt when off.

loddrik
    Free Member

Never. Never ever.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Often if riding alone, although fairly quietly especially if on the road, in which case it is usually spoken word rather than music anyway.

Never during races, except the rare occasions I’ve raced on proper mountains – distracts from the pain of climbs that last for an hour or more, switched off again at the top though!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I got pis$ed off with someone yesterday riding down the middle of a track really slowly and didn’t take any action when I asked (politely) if I could get past, asked a few times at increasing volumes.

When I pointed out it might be an idea to have 1 ear in, he was most upset.

prawny

Only at night and only off road. Stops me papping at at every little sound in the woods.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

commuting always
    mtb no
    still alive

brooess
    Free Member

Cyclecraft by John Franklin points out that much dangerous driving is noisy – revving engine, harsh braking + the ubiquitous horn from an impatient driver so for basic safety reasons, no.

Personally riding on the road has enough hazards already without reducing my ability to pick up on them…

I suspect sooner or later some lawyer will use contributory negligence against a cyclist who’s been hit by an errant driver because they were wearing headphones – there’s enough nonsense from the Police about telling cyclists to wear hi-viz which isn’t even a legal requirement

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’ll find:
    Some do, some don’t.
    Some think it’s dangerous, others don’t.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yes on-road, less often off-road. On-road I don’t figure that a car sounds any different when it’s going to hit me to how it sounds when it’s going to pass me, observation is more important.

Prawny > Only at night and only off road. Stops me papping at at every little sound in the woods.

Made I laugh.

sq225917
    Free Member

Off road no, I need to hear my bike under me. On road, in town, no, out of town almost always.

ads678

Have done but don’t usually. I don’t feel comfortable not being able to hear what’s around me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Offroad pootle – yes.
    Offroad fun – no.
    Road time – no.

oliverracing

nope nope nope and double nope – I ride my bike to get out and away from technology! (and somehow have ended up logging my rides on a garmin 🙄 )

fasthaggis

No.
    It’s very ,very hard and an incredibly dangerous thing to try and ride with headphones.
    Please don’t risk it, the multi-tasking required will take all the fun out of your ride and slow you down by 72.657%
    I don’t know how I have survived all these years, I must be lucky or very stupid.
    It’s probably both.

rondo101
    Free Member

Off road on my own, yes.
    Off road with other people or on-road, nope.

honourablegeorge

On road, no way. Same as high-vis and helmets – yes, the roads should be safer and drivers more careful and all the arguments about trucks/cycles lanes/compulsion/etc – but if I’m on the road, I’m taking all those precautions, thanks.

jekkyl

Every. Single. Ride.
    but I do turn it off occasionally, hard tunes gets me pumping faster………baby

DezB
    Free Member

Gotta love the preaching that goes on on these threads. I don’t try to suggest what riding habits you follow, so why do you feel the need to tell other people how they should behave? S’weird.

atlaz
    Free Member

Never. Don’t like it on the road, like the sounds of the woods too much offroad.

atlaz
    Free Member

Gotta love the preaching that goes on on these threads. I don’t try to suggest what riding habits you follow, so why do you feel the need to tell other people how they should behave? S’weird.

Well… the OP asked

PiknMix
    Free Member

Never for me, I’m on my bike to either get somewhere or to get away from everything. Music won’t enhance either of those situations.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I love the melody of nature, but Machine Head on at LOUD at 50kph down a rooty chute is Nirvana.

Multitasking skills are fine. Pedal, breathe, listen to heavy metal.

MoreCashThanDash

Occasionally one ear in for longer road rides on my own, the odd commute as well, not sure I’d fancy it on the MTB but can’t give a rational explanation as to why.

I kind of stopped getting music in about 1996, and have never got round to putting what I have on my phone, so I only have 4-5 albums to listen to anyway!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash…

You stopped getting music…

Are those 4/5 albums Zeppelin 1-2-3, Appetite For Destruction and maybe a Now compilation?

Burn the witch.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t think of any time I have earphones in on or off the bike.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Earphones or not?’ is closed to new replies.