Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Roberts – anyone got one?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Wondering how durable the "db" is and your experiences of?

Many thanks

teagirl
    Free Member

Listening to mine right now, the Archers, has been excellent in the 5 years we've had it, just the signal round these parts lets it down occasionally.

They look fab too, retro.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

You mean the custom made steel bikes don't you?

jimmy

lovely bikes, terrible experience getting it built.

teagirl
    Free Member

Doh!

myheadsashed

[/quote] terrible experience getting it built

I've heard that more than a few times.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, what is it with custom bikes taking soooo long to get built? I've heard loads of stories of people ordering a frame, and being told a time, then it taking 6 months or even more longer before they finally got them. I appreciate frame building is a craft, but with little frame builders going out of business more and more, you'd think some of these guys might want to build up a reputation for producing stuff in a shortish amount of time. Or are there good reasons why it takes so long?

avdave2

I've got a Roberts white spider frame from 1988 hanging in the garage. If you could still get them for the £400 that cost including forks I'd have another.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I've got a Roberts white spider frame from 1988

You picked it up last week then? 😀

avdave2

You picked it up last week then?

To be honest I can't recall how long it took to get it, a month maybe, I certainly don't remember pacing up and down waiting for it. It was a lovely bike, built up with all the bits from my Rockhopper.

speaker2animals

Maybe the problem is they don't give a realistic account of their order book as they worry it would put you off. EG it takes 2 weeks to build and paint a frame but I've actually got a 6 month waiting list, but I'm not going to tell you that as you'll go somewhere else.

Digger90
    Free Member

I had a Roberts Dogs B**x which I had made in 1991 which did me proud for 5yrs, sold to mate who's still riding it.

It went back for a repaint about 10 years ago but other than that rides pretty much the same now as it did when new.

I'm trying to twist his arm to sell it back to me – it's a classic.

cynic-al
    Free Member

rides pretty much the same now as it did when new.

Don't they all?

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    woodsman
    Free Member

Interesting cheers! That fleebay frame is an acquired taste is it not!!

Just looking at all potential future options, as I've cracked my frame a week or two before an event, and it's buggered things right up. Like the idea of scooting off to somewhere localish and having it repaired should some thing like that happen again.

A bit concerned whether it would take the more rigorous riding we all put our bikes through now days…………..

allthepies
    Free Member

Got a DB from 1996 hanging up in the garage. Never use it these days (bows head in shame).

allthepies
    Free Member

Oh, that ebay bike ^^^^^

WTF happened with the paintjob, looks like someone's given it a makeover with a tin of dulux and a masonry brush. And what's with the BB ???

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yep, it looks as if its been harled rather than painted.

woodsman
    Free Member

Has anyone had one made recently, disc brake and suspension corrected?

tangent
    Free Member

BITD i enquired about some fork DBlx-FAT Chance forks being made.
    The ansswer was "we focus on road bike mostly these day's"…

Maybe ntimes have changed sicne tnen?

But for U.K. custom steel I feel D.Y. 4 D.I.Y (build your self)Dave Yates or CURTIS (Design it Your Self) could be more likely…

Main thing is get it "on paper" 1st of of all then talkn2 the framebuilder–they are super wise.

4what it's worth the Roberts to yourWhSp…DBLX were arguably the finest steel bike ever nmade, alonngside teh KB Steel OR.

Doscuss.Nofuss

If you can get the maker to fabricate scumthing the today… to your ideas lonf\g may the tradition continue.

Sorry if this seems like a rant…but bottom line is Craft custom builders are only as good as thier Cuatomers…
    I maean that sincerely.
    Happy steel trails. m8!

allthepies
    Free Member

WTF?

or should that be WFTz

cynic-al
    Free Member

Appropriate user name!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

My experiences of getting a disc mount welded onto an old Orange some years back would lead me to go elsewhere.

Shoddy service; they failed to get the mount on straight, (didn't realise until I'd painted it – ended up having to face about 1/2 the thickness of the mount off), and they refused to fit a brace between the 2 stays. Afterwards, under braking I could see the s/stay flexing.

The road bikes looked lovely – very high quality worksmanship, but the single MTB they had on show looked like it had been designed circa 1995 – 130mm stem, 65mm forks, not much tyre clearance. I did ask about a hardtail for 100+mm forks, and they said words to the effect that they didn't have confidence that the headtube would stay attatched.

I'd look at Omega, Curtis, or if you're really prepared to wait, Robin Mather.

woodsman
    Free Member

Interesting experiences there. I did call them and had a fairly decent chat about the "db". I emphasised that the bike would be ridden rigorously and we discussed, building up a slightly beefy version at my request. They seemed helpful and open to my wants. Perhaps, they aren't so busy and that has refocused there approach – is all I can think..

I've been waiting for Mather to get back to me, for most of this year. A cracked frame has moved this up on my priorities, although I may have to plumb for a repair on the old at this rate.

martinb
    Free Member

In the family, I've got a Whitespider, Dogs Bolx and a K2, the K2 was £275 inc forks it was some time ago, don't get used much now, but really well made and rode well when they were my main bikes.

I've never had any problems but knew someone that worked there.

brassneck

Always a giggle to take one on a tour of France n'est pas? 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

Bump – just in case anyone with a Roberts missed the thread

Be interesting to hear from anyone who bought one recently or as recently enough to have disc brakes! ?

amplebrew

I contacted Roberts around 6 weeks ago, wanting to order a DB. I gave all my measurements, the full spec and even the colour I wanted.

They e-mailed me back to say that they would call me back to finalise the order.

I'm still waiting…….. 😕

woodsman
    Free Member

Blimey – amplebrew! did you speak to them on the phone before sending in the email? Are you still going to go for a DB if they get back to you? I think I'm going to give them a ring when they're back from the holiday closure, and see if I can pop down and have a look round – hopefully they'll have a DB on display or in fabrication. Satisfy a curiosity if nothing else – they are about a 45 min drive away.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

before I bought my Mather, I spoke to Roberts and I found them quite close-minded about what I wanted. Decided not to spend my money with them as the good thing about custom frames is the fact that you get involvement in design (and build if you want).

Rob Mather was really good and is much more progressive in my opinion. He has shed loads of work on now though (was busy when I bought mine 6 years ago) so maybe not so good at responding to emails for new work.

Have you looked at Shand Cycles their work looks really good.

woodsman
    Free Member

Mather has been my first choice, but not heard anything from my emails. I must say when I spoke to Roberts (wasn't Chas but don't know who it was) I found them really open minded. I was talking about Pargagon dropouts, and having a slightly beefed up frame, with some more unusual tube choices, for the downtube and headtube for example, where my current 853 frame had failed – they seemed quite enthusiastic – for a framebuilder (elusive types).

I may even make my own The Woodsman Hand Made in Sussex! 😉

amplebrew

woodsman – Member
    Blimey – amplebrew! did you speak to them on the phone before sending in the email? Are you still going to go for a DB if they get back to you? I think I'm going to give them a ring when they're back from the holiday closure, and see if I can pop down and have a look round – hopefully they'll have a DB on display or in fabrication. Satisfy a curiosity if nothing else – they are about a 45 min drive away.

I've always wanted a DB and I'm finally in the position where I could get one.

I contacted them by e-mail purely as I wasn't in a major rush, I just wanted to get my name down on their order books.

I sent them all my measurements and even a picture of the colour I wanted (Aston Martin Almond Green)

I've been really busy in work and at home to be honest, so I haven't chased them up as yet.

It's still a dream bike for me, so if they called today; I wouldn't hesitate in ordering one.

one_bad_mofo

Am I the only satisfied owner?

Then again I did get my DB nine years ago. It was the first dedicated single speed version they'd built and when I asked for track ends they said are you sure and tehn got on and built it.

Even though I've now also got a custom Vicious Groover too the DB is the one that gets ridden most.

woodsman
    Free Member

o_b_m can you put up some pics please or email them to me – thanks.

one_bad_mofo

Woodsman contact me via my profile and it'll prompt me to go and take some picstures of the bike.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Roberts – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.