Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Robert Millar on Wiggins/Froome/Sky situation.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I just hope Froome doesn’t win. I don’t like him and would rather Contador won (who I dislike slightly less).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of conjecture to me..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Who cares who you like. I’m interested in who is the best rider.

nickc

It’s pretty much a load of gossip.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

nickc +1

cookeaa

That article did read like a bit of Guess work spun out into a shit-stirring diatribe TBH…

Wiggins isn’t on Top form and Froome has proven he can graft and deserves a shot at TDF GC, it may well have been that this was always the planned re-jigging of the orders.

Any Announcements yet for SKY’s Vuelta team?

asterix
    Free Member

well in anycase Uran could well beat Froome in the Tour

clubber
    Free Member

That’s the cycling equivalent of a daily mail story…

It could be true of course but it’s just gossip for now.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s fine. I still hope he doesn’t win.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Front to the left?!

christhetall
    Free Member

Michelle Cound, not adverse to starting a few rumours herself, has just tweeted “complete & utter rubbish, he signed a 3-year contract following the Vuelta in 2011”

MSP

Well there are many aspects to enjoying sport, you can appreciate the effort, commitment and skill of all the participants. But you can also make make an emotional investment in following riders and rooting for them, feeling the disappointment when they don’t perform and the elation when they win.

People like Wiggo, Cav and Sagan have a bit of personality and charm to them, it’s easier to follow them as fans of the sportsmen and not just the sport overall. Froome doesn’t have that, not yet anyway. Maybe as he comes out from Wiggins shadow he will show a little more character, but at the moment I just can’t find myself rooting for him.

brakes
    Free Member

I think it’s the cycling gods punishing Sky for all their he said/ she said Wiggo/ Froome infighting publicity they love to spout ahead of World Tour selection/ starting.

Will be watching the Dauphine intently to see what form Froome and Contador are in/ pretending to be in.

That’s fine. I still hope he doesn’t win.

well I hope you don’t win.

atlaz
    Free Member

If there’s any lying about Wiggins it will be because either his form is not quite good enough or he does not want to ride in support. Or it could just be true that he’s hurt.

wrecker
    Free Member

well I hope you don’t win.

LOL. NOt much chance of that. My GAF-ometer nearly flickered then.

cookeaa

Will be watching the Dauphine intently to see what form Froome and Contador are in/ pretending to be in.

Apparently it was all Decided last year in Spain

brakes
    Free Member

not sure I like that article very much at all

especially when I got to this bit

In fact, Contador doesn’t seem to be packing the same lethal punch as he did before his ban

and wondered if the writer realises why…

chakaping
    Free Member

Front to the left?!

That’s what I thought. Do the crazy Euros do it that way?

Millar’s clearly not a fan of Wiggo then. I’d give about as much credence to most of that column as I would to random bike forum gossip.

mudshark
    Free Member

Or it could just be true that he’s hurt.

I’m told by a mate of Wiggins that he’s been spending time in Harley Street recently.

convert

You do know who Robert Millar is don’t you? If any writer might realise why, I think he would be just about as informed as anyone on the planet.

The article is just a bunch of speculation, but I’d take RM’s speculation over a proper journo’s “informed” conjecturing any day of the week.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m told by a mate of Wiggins that he’s been spending time in Harley Street recently.

Nose job?

brakes
    Free Member

You do know who Robert Millar is don’t you?

yes. do you know who David Millar is? 😀

convert

yes. do you know who David Millar is?

Yes, but why would David be relevant here? RM knows what it takes to climb a GT stage and perform well in GC. He was also active in the murky days of dodgy goings on so I doubt there is much of the dark arts he is not familiar with.

In one of his previous articles he wrote:-

The pink jersey battle was always looking like it was going to be Nibali versus nature as each of his pre-race rivals gradually succumbed

Which I wondered if it was a gentle dig at what might make Nibali tick…

Lifer
    Free Member

Wiggins is boring to watch. Froome actually rides. C’mon Froomedog!

soobalias
    Free Member

Alberto Contador….. he isn’t looking to be in the same all conquering form he once enjoyed

simultaneous amusement and disgust.

kcr
    Free Member

Of course he knows. Robert Millar was part of the system.
    (positive test in 91, referenced in Graeme Obree’s book as explaining to Obree how much he would be expected to contribute for the team medical preparation at Le Groupment, a service declined by Obree)

roverpig

The comment about Contador not packing the same punch doesn’t come from the Millar article, it comes from the one by Andrew Hood, posted by cookeaa above.

brakes
    Free Member

Yes, but why would David be relevant here?

sorry, it was a stupid question to answer another stupid question.

I don’t like the subtext in Robert Millar’s writing and his implicit gentle digs are a waste of copy.

What annoys me is why would Wiggo not ride if he was injury free even if he hadn’t got his training spot on? Even if he wasn’t the leader he is still an incredible cyclist and could surely help the team? Seems a bit petulant to me, and I don’t believe Wiggo is like that.

EDIT:

it comes from the one by Andrew Hood, posted by cookeaa above.

ah crap, sorry. ignore me.

Duggan

Am I the only person who actually likes Froome?

roverpig

No, I think Michelle does. But it could just be the two of you 🙂

butcher

Am I the only person who actually likes Froome?

To be fair to Froome, a lot of stuff seems to be based on media gossip, wives fighting, etc. Froome himself has had very little to say, so it’ll be interesting to see how the big gangly alien handles himself at the Tour.

walleater

Speaking of gossip, is Robert Millar still a lady?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite like Froome. I don’t think he gets the same level of love from the media that Wiggins does, which probably does a lot to shape people’s opinions. Probably not as good for a soundbite as Wiggo. He seems pretty tenacious on a bike though and appears to have a lot of respect within the team.

brakes
    Free Member

He doesnt have the gold medals, the rockstar friends and the penchant for a few too many g&ts that wiggo does.
    I like his unassuming spidery-riding style.
    He needs to not wear those Oakleys though – makes him look like the Newborn alien/human hybrid from Alien Resurrection.

sputnik
    Free Member

I am a Froome supporter.

Suppose he is not British enough for some cos of his Kenyan and South African upbringing.

convert

It’s not that – he just seems devoid of personality to me.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

It’s not that – he just seems devoid of personality to me.

the cycle equivalent to Nigel Mansell 😯

asterix
    Free Member

tony greig, alan lamb, zola budd….

mrblobby
    Free Member

the cycle equivalent to Nigel Mansell

Mansell behind the wheel and Mansell behind the microphone… very different indeed!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Robert Millar on Wiggins/Froome/Sky situation.’ is closed to new replies.