Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,802 total)
  • Thatcher's died according to BBC
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

stewartc – Member
    Very classy post Seosamh77, been working on that humdinger for a while?

nah, copy and paste mate, no effort required.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

AdamW
    Free Member

-She voted for some very progressive policies such as making homosexuality legal, she was one of very few tories who voted for this

Decriminalisation of homosexuality was a bill put forward in 1967. She entered parliament in 1968. I don’t see how this can be true, though I am willing to be corrected.

She also brought forward Section 28 based on the usual Daily Mail hatred, as a sop to them during the first years of the AIDS epidemic. This, and how the tories have acted thereafter with regards to gay issues, means I will never, ever, vote for them. They’re a party of hate.

hora
    Free Member

That may not be the best example..

Inbetween WWI and WWII France had a total of 40 different Governments. So you can see why they collapsed in the face of attack at the start of WWII. What were they fighting to defend?

Moses

She didn’t do much about retaining Hong Kong, did she?
    Perhaps the Americans told her not to fuss too much about giving that territory away.

ransos
    Free Member

The difference is strength of leadership. Would another UK leader have appeased and come to a face-saving (to a degree) arrangement?

Such as Jim Callaghan? I suggest you look up what he did with regard to the Falklands, and reflect on which PM took the best course of action.

binners

I’M 96, YOU KNOW!!!!

ransos
    Free Member

Decriminalisation of homosexuality was a bill put forward in 1967. She entered parliament in 1968. I don’t see how this can be true, though I am willing to be corrected.

She was elected in 1959.

bencooper
    Free Member

She didn’t do much about retaining Hong Kong, did she?
    Perhaps the Americans told her not to fuss too much about giving that territory away.

Even she wasn’t mad enough to declare war on China.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hora, do you want me to threaten you again? Or should I just let the nurse know you’re out of bed?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Inbetween WWI and WWII France had a total of 40 different Governments. So you can see why they collapsed in the face of attack at the start of WWII. What were they fighting to defend?

Polish sovereignty apparently – the same as Britain.

philconsequence
    Free Member

10 and 2 b’mitch? kick it old school, none of this modern acuphase rubbish

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I quite have an urge for some deep insulin therapy Phil. Mmmm, that’s some coma goodness!

philconsequence
    Free Member

my, that is old school 😀

until then, have some commas instead

i would’nt want to insult you with a korma

hora
    Free Member

Polish sovereignty apparently – the same as Britain.

No I’m talking about the soldiers and people. Not the Politicians.

barnsleymitch – I know you’ll take this the wrong way but do you have an old-school view of women?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

If you think that’s old school Phil, wait until I outline my “spinning chair” proposition. It’s twirly!

andypaul99
    Free Member

With all the things she supposedly achieved all I can recall about her being PM is going to the poll tax office to pay them £650, I was an eighteen year old on £80 per week….no surprises it was the poll tax that finished her off

nick1962
    Free Member

Now there is oil in Falklands she did us proud there too.

Any oil found will belong to the Falklanders surely?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Would another UK leader have appeased and come to a face-saving (to a degree) arrangement?

I think another leader might not have engaged in negotiating over the islands future, and also giving a number of signals suggesting an inability or unwillingness to defend them. You know stuff like denuding our military capacity sufficiently to make the islands indefensible. That sort of stuff.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I know I probably shouldn’t ask hora, but why?

yunki
    Free Member

wwaswas

Well, so far this thread has gone better than anyone expected.

The left/right infighting on twitter has degenerated into a series of sporadic outbreaks of name calling and hopefully the telly schedules won’t be completely wiped out tonight.

binners
    rattrap
    Free Member

Such as Jim Callaghan? I suggest you look up what he did with regard to the Falklands, and reflect on which PM took the best course of action.

What – left them there unopposed?

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1978/may/12/southern-thule
    http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1978/jun/28/southern-thule-argentine-presence

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Dies on the same day as huge cuts in disability benefits kick in.Great timing.Good riddance to bad rubbish.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Yunki – but it was only a minor strike! 😀
    Igmc

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hora – in order to take something the wrong way, I need to know what that something is in the first place. Why do you feel I have an old school view of women? And why is my dinner still not on the table?

rattrap
    Free Member

4 minutes 40 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEeXQ-euxrw[/video]

ocrider

wwaswas – Member

Gawker has an interesting take on her time in power;

http://gawker.com/5994007/margaret-thatcher-is-dead
    Interesting choice of photo by Gawker

BermBandit
    Free Member

Interesting choice of photo by Gawker

Spawn of Satan: Office Party?

IanMunro
    Free Member

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, then the Reginald D Hunter sketch is great 😀

ransos
    Free Member

What – left them there unopposed?

Oh dear. You really need to read your history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4597581.stm

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

El-bent
    Free Member

Face the facts, the unions went from protecting the working man to being a protection racket which held the country to ransom – British industry was destroyed by the unions. Maggie restored sanity.

I question the word sanity when it comes to thatcher, the country is now being held to ransom by the financial sector as a result of her deregulation and the freeing of the markets, they have done far more damage than the unions could ever have done. Always the tories championing what she did when she was in power while quietly glossing over the legacy of her actions.

Although there are many policies of hers I don’t agree with, I do believe that the UK would have been much worse off if she hadn’t faced up to the unions.

Tory history as usual, the unions are no threat, focus on today and the worse threat from the city of London.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

That’s it then. It appears that I will never find out why I am, apparently, the bastard offspring of gene hunt and Peter stringfellow.

El-bent
    Free Member

Today’s story started with the death of a witch. Hopefully this means Cameron will get a heart, Osbourne a brain, and Clegg some courage…

rattrap
    Free Member

Ransos – you should really do your own research properly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Thule

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..and while we’re on about the Falklands, there should be a memorial for what she achieved there..

binners

Where we are now..

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos – you should really do your own research properly:

I have, thanks. The secret operation launched by the Callaghan government (operation journeyman)which probably prevented a full-scale invasion of the Falklands at that time. Had Thatcher done the same, 907 deaths may have been avoided.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the conflict itself, the Thatcher government was caught with its pants down.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,802 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's died according to BBC’ is closed to new replies.