• This topic has 86 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Roads leading to Peaslake
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm coming in from the A3 am I going to be able to get into peaslake tomorrow AM?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother coming anywhere near Guildford at all if I were you. I've spoken to/heard of half a dozen or so cars smashed up on black ice this morning in the last hour or so an the A31 the other side of town. And I'm takling main roads which are technically 'clear' here. Guildford council has no salt left either, so it's not going to improve.

It's not worth it, really it's not.

piha
    Free Member

^^As PP said^^

Quite a few on my estate have returned home after setting out to work earlier this morning. I drove to Peaslake a week before Xmas and it was a little slippery then, the weather is colder now so I wouldn't even bother trying just yet.

Could park at the Chantries and ride from there.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I might train into Dorking and ride up to coldharbour from there then or just do a local round Esher.

Bah.

joolsburger
    Free Member

What about Newlands Corner can I get there from the A3 do you reckon?

teef
    Free Member

Just spoke to Nirvana cycles in Westcott – they recommend parking in Dorking as there is 6 inches of snow and the side roads and all iced up.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I just phoned Peaslake village store and she was very specific that only old style landrovers with chunky tyres are getting anywhere!

Don't bother was her advice.

wormhole

my folks live up there and say keep well away by car it is a nightmare. you could ride but to be honest even that is tricky.

aP
    Free Member

If you live in Esher it'll take less than an hour to ride there.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I just fancied a bit of Holmbury in the snow I bet it's beautiful.

aP
    Free Member

It'll still only take you about an hour to cycle there from Esher.

glenp
    Free Member

You can drive to Newlands Corner, the A25 is not too bad. South of the A25 into Surrey Hills is not good. I can just about get up to Abinger Common in a regular car, but it makes it much more difficult if you meet traffic. There will be cars parked all through Peaslake and stopping and passing will be very tricky. You could park down at Gomshall Station and ride up to Holmbury – that would be my recommendation.

njee20
    Free Member

I'm planning to head up there tomorrow, see what it's like! I certainly wouldn't drive to Peaslake though, go with any of the above recommendations!

I drove into Guildford this morning from the South and the roads aren't that bad, but I wouldn't want to venture onto the side roads.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

does anyone know how long it will take to cycle there form Esher?

JamesP
    Free Member

I'm headed up there on Sunday. Rode last Sunday and while BKB was fine, Pitch Hill side was very icy – particularly immediately out of Peaslake. Yoghurt Pots also had some patches of black ice and was super sketchy in some of the corners. The climby bit on Telegraph was also not much fun.

That's without this weeks deluge 🙂

london_lady
    Free Member

as said above – about an hour to ride from Esher – depending on your route

joolsburger
    Free Member

I do not cycle on roads for I am not a roadie.

I couldn't care less if it took 20 minutes from Esher.

I will remove my bike from the car when it is within spitting distace of some off road trails. Gomshall looks like a good idea or I might go via Dorking and see how far up Coldharbour lane I can get as I'm tole that may not be impassable by a resident I work with.

Ride from Esher, my god man next you'll be suggesting I get a team jersey and leave my baggies at home.

FFS.

Also I live in East Molesey and it takes me 40 minutes by car in the summer to get to Peaslake. I can't see how I'd do it in an hour by bike in the snow.

aP
    Free Member

40 minutes by car? It only takes 50 minutes to drive from Brentford.
    Why not cycle to the Cafe Rouge at the foot of the hill up to Esher, go into the woods, come out in Claygate, over to Oxshott, over to Stoke D'Abernon – the majority of this is off road. Then out through Great Bookham, Ranmore Common then down through Wotton and up to Coldharbour.
    Its only about 10 miles.

njee20
    Free Member

I do not cycle on roads for I am not a roadie.

I couldn't care less if it took 20 minutes from Esher.

I will remove my bike from the car when it is within spitting distace of some off road trails.

What a moron.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd like to get to know that route as it could be nice in the summer.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Great sense of humour Njee 🙄

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

To be honest if you cant be aresed to ride for 20 mins on the road whats the point in going out.

I live in the middle of all the tracks up here (bottom of Christmas pud). Theres alot of snow around went out and did BKB on Tuesday. I was the first person on it but if more people have ridden it , it should be quick and slidey.

Planning on heading out later on today, will let you know what the trails are like.

Road wise its fine as long as you dont drive like a dick.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Touchy buggers aren't you. Jesus.

I'm driving up to Gomshall and riding from there which will be fine I'm sure.

Dont want to road ride because it's bloody dangerous!

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Yeah A25 is clear now,

glenp
    Free Member

Riding the road from Gomshall should be relatively safe, mainly because there is very little traffic. Bear in mind that most cars will be better off not stopping, and even if they must stop it might be pretty dicey and take a while.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I drove up to Holmbury via Abinger on Sunday and it was treacherous. I expect it's impassable right now.

AP can you show me that route one day if you're about, I'm with you up to Oxshott but have no idea after that..

glenp
    Free Member

It isn't imapassable, but could do without non-essential traffic. Mind you, the pubs will be glad to see you if you make the trip and pop in for a warm.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Is that new ending to BKB open yet?

joolsburger
    Free Member

If I can get from Abinger tea rooms to the bottom of Holmbury Hill I will obviously stop in at the Royal Oak for beer and food!!
    Just don't want to attempt driving up Hoe Lane to Peaslake as I don't think I'll make the hill.

Do you think Horsham Road is drivable?

aP
    Free Member

joolsburger – ok, once the ice has gone. Need to get some miles in before Polaris. We ride out past Hampton Court then along Ember Lane.
    You could drive over and meet us at Cafe Rouge. 😛

joolsburger
    Free Member

I live in East Molsey so Ember Court is Fine.

I often ride along Walton Road and along Ember Lane to get to Littleworth commmon and hence to Oxshott etc but it makes me feel dirty!!

joolsburger
    Free Member

we are braving it tomorrow and heading for Holmbury now. I have just borrowed a L200 with off road tyres for the trip, hooray for brothers in law, espeically Kiwi ones with a 4 X 4 fetish!

atlaz
    Free Member

Agree about Ember Lane. It's on my road loop (Walton, Cobham, Esher, Molesey, Sunbury and Walton again) and it's more or less the least favourite part. Not sure why, it just seems like it never ends.

glenp
    Free Member

Yea, you'll get up Horsham Rd. Hoe Lane would obviously be silly – just get to Holmbury and go over the hill from there by bike.

Earlier comment – yes, BKB ending has been open for a while.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

BKB is open and rideable but nothing else around here is !!! I tried a few others today and they were just far too much effort.I.E getting on for 8 inchs of snow.

However the more people who come up and ride then the better, the snow on BKB is packing down now (did 4 runs on it today). If the more popular trails get ridden then they should all be like that. Il up load some photos of the conditions.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Last ones looking up BKB taken on Tuesday other are from today

GJP
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    Agree about Ember Lane. It's on my road loop (Walton, Cobham, Esher, Molesey, Sunbury and Walton again) and it's more or less the least favourite part. Not sure why, it just seems like it never ends.

Same here. I hate that stretch from Hampton Court to Esher, even more so on an MTB trying to get to Littleworth Common. Could it be that it is a false flat, certainly always seems better on the way back than the way out?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Turn off left at the first bend and go past the Marnie arms, over the golf course and past Esher station cuts out loads of Ember Lane. That's what we do.

Thanks for the pics looks bloody great to me I cant wait..

deadkenny
    Free Member

What do you reckon to Hound House Road & Ride Way, going from Shere? For a bike that is, not car. Park up somewhere round Shere and just straight along the road up to the top of Pitch Hill.

Or if going from Gomshall, what's a good route on the bike to Peaslake?

Want to get out somewhere, but access is the main problem. Other options for me are Tunnel Hill and Swinley (car park was closed on Wednesday). Not sure Swinley would be much good in the snow. Pitch/Holmbury were great before Christmas in the snow, but far more snow now.

bobbyspangles

christ there are some nazis on here! ride how you flipin' want jools, have a good one

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Roads leading to Peaslake’ is closed to new replies.