Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Roadies – what bike computer?
  • 40mpg

The batteries are running out in my ancient wired computer. Probably a good excuse to upgrade.

I’m not interested in heart monitors, GPS, cadence or power (I’m not going to race again) so just want a note of distance, average & max speeds etc – the basic stuff.

Any suggestions for a decent, easy to use wireless computer?

carlphillips
    Free Member

strava app on your phone is all you need surely? tis free too

crazy-legs

strava app on your phone is all you need surely? tis free too

Yeah but having a dead simple computer permanently on the bike is really nice. I don’t Strava all my rides nor do I want every ride appearing in public (some yes, not all) so I use a dead cheap Specialized computer on my road bike which has been there since getting the bike. Rolled past 100,000km a few weeks ago. It’s nice to keep a mileage check on a bike without all the hassle of uploading, going back to review it – it’s just there. And batteries last 4 years. There’s a lot to be said for simplicity. 😉

OP: look at Cateye, they’re good and cheap and widely available.
    I’ve got is an old Specialized Speedzone – much older version of this:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/speedzone-sport-wireless-cycle-computer-ec022980

mikey74
    Free Member

The best bike computer I’ve had is my Garmin Edge 200: I know you said you aren’t interested in GPS but it really is just a bike computer, and works every well. Far less hassle than your average bike comp IMO.

I had a wireless Sigma one before but my lights interfered with the signal so ended up not using it.

chief9000
    Free Member

edge 500 every time for me. Probably a bit cheaper now the new one comes out. I used to use my phone, but lost gps a few times a ride and battery flattens on a long ride.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Edge 500/510 or 800/810 for nerdy stuff. I like heart rate and cadence. If don’t want any of that then the 200 would be perfect.

Wookster

I’d go garmin 200 or the like I’ve got a 500 and it’s a great bit of kit TBH, I did get it dirt cheapie the best buys closing sale though…..

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Garmin edge 800

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Garmin edge.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Just get a simple Cateye. Wireless is nice, but non-essential

Haze

Edge 500 as everyone else is saying it, though bearing in mind the OP said he wants basic then I’d say Cat Eye Strada.

Wireless.

40mpg

Bloody hell – those Garmins are a lot of dosh!

£100 for a 200, £200 for a 500, nudging £300 for a 800!

I was anticipating £30 to £40 for a basic computer.

Crazy-legs, I could have written your response down to having an old Specialized computer. Perhaps I’ll just buy a new battery for £2, which will last another 4 years. Was really just thinking of updating to wireless 😐

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I use this. It’s good.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59794

People are highly overspecifying in recommending GPS’s for your simple requirement!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

This thread has really made me laugh. Recession, what recession? 🙂

That Cateye I’ve recommended. One button. Hold the button to reset before a ride. Ride. Does average, max, distance, clock, and odometer. Works great.

I like GPS too, but it’s important to read the question sometimes!

Pooley
    Free Member

I’ve been fine with all of these, all wireless, Cateye strada, Knog (Big figures) Polar (HRM) Garmin 500, Strava (on iphone) HTH

simondbarnes

I was just about to recommend a Cateye velo wireless but someone has beaten me to it 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Love the Garmin 200, gives me everything I need without cluttering up with too much I want but can’t afford. I know the OP doesn’t want GPS but downloading routes after a ride somewhere new is great – especially after hilly rides.

But for an old fashioned computer, I always had Cateye Velo 8s

boblo
    Free Member

Cateye Strada, either wired or wireless to suit budget/preferences. Puuuuuurfect. 🙂

scaredypants

wireless is kack IMO/E – get another wired one or else gps; I don’t see a useful middle-ground

BristolPablo
    Free Member

the cateye strada is a really nice piece of kit, its probably the best computer before you start getting into the GPS side of things as it does everything that you could need having two trip meters so you can keep one for total and one for individual rides and it has a pace arrow (although its a bit hard to see) which is quite useful.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-strada-wireless-cycle-computer

40mpg

Ormondroyd, thats just what I’m looking for. Thanks!

RustySpanner

Another vote for the Cateye Strada Wireless.

Pretty much perfect for not much cash.

pguy78
    Free Member

I have a polar cs200 cad on mine. Good for hr, cad and speed. But the sensors are sealed units which are expensive to replace.

nedrapier

A mate of mine bought a Cateye Strada and it drove him crazy – he couldn’t get out of the habit of resting his bag on the bars/stem to get things in and out and kept resetting his ride mileage. 🙂

darkslider
    Free Member

Can’t beat the Shimano Flight Deck IME, one came on a second hand road bike I bought and after a bit of setting up it’s awesome! Gives you plenty of features to play around with on those boring straights, and the gear indicator is handy too.

aracer
    Free Member

I appear to be the first to recommend… the one you’ve already got. A new battery will be significantly cheaper than a new computer, leaving lots of spare money for more important stuff like beer. What exactly is wrong with the one you’ve got?

If you let us know what it is, I might even be able to recommend a battery 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

If I hadn’t got a Garmin 500 I would say Cateye Strada too. Reliable, long battery life and simple to use. I also have for sale

Bez

I heartily recommend the Sigma BC1609 wireless. It’s very neat and tidy and has some good features (the thermometer being a nice touch). It’s behaved faultlessly for me, even with dyno LED lights. The O-ring mounts are much neater and nicer than zip ties (as used by Cateye etc), too – and less likely to scuff forks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For me the simplicity of the edge with no cables or sensors is a big plus but the the cost may make it prohibitive. I had a simple wired spec one that did fine until the cable ripped out of the housing. Not got round to fixing it really.

Philby

Cateye Strada for me too – however I have reset the mileage a couple of times by leaning on the button. Also make sure its seated properly in its bracket – I lost one and nearly lost another as I failed to seat the unit properly.

lunge

I have a cheap Decathlon “B’Twin Count 8” wireless one. I have no idea how good it is compared to others but it is cheap, it does all the basics, it is easy to use and it doesn’t use too much battery. There is an even cheaper “Count 4” one as well according to the website. In fact looking at the website, and I think this may be the real selling point, you can get coloured covers for then for about £2 as well.

Sold.

Mackem

FWIW I have a spare Cateye wireless computer lying around you can have for postage. You need to buy a sensor though.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A Strada is good had one for 2 years until the speed sensor broke, seems the plastic went brittle.
    So a 2 year life, £45 + £27 for each extra bike [ I have 5 ] doesnt do cadence or Heart Rate. May as well get This

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – what bike computer?’ is closed to new replies.