Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Roadies: Weight vs Aero
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And the swimming multipliers don’t have to contend with gradient.

Yes, but is 1200m up a 1 in 10 the same as 1200m up a 1 in 5 followed by a 6km flat section? And is 4x300m done back to back the same as doing 1200m in one go?

You’d have annihilated him if you lost the extra couple of stone you’re carrying!!

Being a fatty means I have a lot of time to think about this kind of sh** whilst climbing. And bessides the peoples repulic of yorkshire does good pies, so while I’m in exile up here I’m not loseing nay weight!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    16.3 POUNDS not light ? do me a favour .Thats a good 6 pounds lighter than any of my road bikes .How light do you want them to br ffs?

Your right, it does make the poster look a bit daft really.

Any bike under 20 lbs is pretty light and unless you are 5% bodyfat (which very very few people are then a few grams less weight will make no difference.

Make sure the frame is the right sze and play about with body position to get better aero.

lightman
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    16.3 POUNDS not light ? do me a favour .Thats a good 6 pounds lighter than any of my road bikes .How light do you want them to br ffs?

Your right, it does make the poster look a bit daft really.

Any bike under 20 lbs is pretty light and unless you are 5% bodyfat (which very very few people are then a few grams less weight will make no difference.

Make sure the frame is the right sze and play about with body position to get better aero.

WHY?
    If you guys are happy with heavier bikes, then that is up to you.
    My training bike is probably heavier than anyone’s, but i don’t go around telling everyone their training bike too light and to MTFU!
    Surely its up the the person on how light or heavy they want their bike.
    I just hope you guys never look at the Weight Weenies site!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I agree with the OP.

So everyone who’s not pro should ride arround on a Halfords special?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think his point is that the difference in speed will be minimal, not what anyone should ride.

clubber
    Free Member

Exactly. I’m all for buying nice kit. I just don’t like the BS that people use to justify it – going faster is about improving yourself, not the bike (within reason, obviously you need a bike that fits, doesn’t break, doesn’t weigh 20kg, etc)

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Whats silly is suggesting that a bike the weights 7.4kgs is heavy, its not. I think you will find thats the point most have been making.

No one is saying that riding a heavier bike make you hard as ****.

scratch
    Free Member

Top tip; go to Belgium for a few days, stay in Ghent, buy a newspaper, work out where the races are and enter some. You’ll get dropped like a stone, but you will learn how to ride fast.

Would love to do this! Could you just rock up and get your name on the start sheet on a random Thursday night though? I’ve always put it off never knowing the score with licenses, where the races are, if I’d actually get in etc.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Whats silly is suggesting that a bike the weights 7.4kgs is heavy

He never said that his bike was heavy, just that its not the lightest, and its not. 6.8kg if the UCI weight limit and its easy to get a bike lighter than that with a bit of cash to spend.

crikey
    Free Member

Scratch, essentially, yes.
    You need a BC licence and possibly a letter from BC now, but basically you just go and sign on at the start.

It’s fantastic, both as an experience and to learn about racing.

scratch
    Free Member

Cool, cheers Crickey, was reading about the letter earlier,
    Just trying to find the best time to go to get as many races in as possible while there

stufield
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon:-

try http://www.strava.com helps you compare local hill climbs and gives you a suffer score etc… against alpe d’huez etc…

stoney
    Free Member

Light…….

@ 15lb

Aero…..

😛

Rorschach
    Free Member

What make is the madone again?
    I’m assuming your computer was black and white when you did the project one thing?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Roadies: Weight vs Aero’ is closed to new replies.