Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Roadie tires 700 x 25 or 700 x 23?
  • griffiths1000
    Free Member

Replacing the tires on my road bike currently fitted 700 x 25, seems to be a lot of 700 x 23 available is there any advantage/ difference either way?

steve_b77
    Free Member

They’re smaller, apparently less comfortable and not as aero (rim dependant).

But then again if they’re substantially cheaper who cares?

TiRed

What rims and what tyre brand? Generally 25c offer more comfort on traditional 19 mm rims. But not all tyres are measure equal. Some schwalbe 23c tyres on 21 mm rims will have the same profile as Mavic 25c tyres on mavic 19 mm rims.

In general, i’d say there is no disadvantage for general riding. The pros are all racing wider tyres, but these are tubs, so are really riding tyres not much wider than traditional 23c clinchers.

25c Schwalbe ones are £25 an end, which is an absolute bargain. Upgrade to some decent inner tubes (I like latex but you need to keep them topped up) and you will see the biggest improvement for your £70.

I ride everything from 19c tubs to 27c clinchers. The tubs at 140 psi will rattle your fillings and blur your vision, but they are fast and great on closed circuits! The 27c are for cobbles!

eddie11
    Free Member

23 has been the standard for ever but it has been decided that 25s are a way to sell us more stuff roll faster so that’s what all the pros have shifted to in the last 18 months. If you’re riding 25s already stick with them.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Got 700 x 25 Schwable Blizzards on just now, the front is ok buy back is shredded from the turbo. Can’t seem to find them any more so hence replacing the pair……….unless anyone had a single one knocking about spare? 🙄

I have a long hardcore drive before i get to the tarmac so i think i will stick to the 25’s from what you have said.

dragon
    Free Member

I can’t say I’e ever noticed the difference in speed or comfort between 23 and 25’s IMO. I buy on brand, model and price rather than size.

fasthaggis

TiRed

What’s the story with latex tubes then,do they make the tyres move/perform better ?

dantsw13

My local roads are not the smoothest – going from 23 to 25 made a big difference in comfort to me.

alanf
    Free Member

As Fasthaggis^^^^ why do latex tubes make a difference?

jonba
    Free Member

Within the same model on the same setup there will be a difference. If you take one tyre on one wheel then the fatter ones will be slightly more comfortable as you can run them a fraction lower in pressure. You should also get slightly more grip. They will a little bit heavier and apparently a little bit less aero (although I doubt this will affect anybody unless you are already dressed like you are about to tackle the hour).

FWIW I run 23mm as the GP4000s are easier to find in this size. I run 25mm on my winter wheels but the tyres are cheaper so that probably makes more difference than the width.

I’d worry more about the quality of the tyre than the width.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’d worry more about the quality of the tyre than the width.

Yes this. For example 23mm Continental GP 4000s are way more comfortable than 25 mm Continental Gatorskins

hilldodger
    Free Member

What’s the story with latex tubes then….

…they make the tarmac come alive
    😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

depends on the rim width too. i run 23’s but as the rims have an internal width of over 17mm they come up like a 25 and have a better shape than a 23 on a old style narrow rim plus they are lighter.

quality of carcass is everything though, with out that you just have a crappy wide tyre that doesn’t roll well.

so a gp4000 or schwalbe1 in whatever size you fancy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s the story with latex tubes then,do they make the tyres move/perform better ?

They’re thinner and deform easier, so they have less rolling resistance. They’re also amongst the lightest at abotu 50g (although you can get butyl tubes the same weight now).

The downside is they lose pressure over time as they’re so thin (butyl tubes the same weight do as well, but not as quickly). You have to top them up before every ride and it’s advised to keep the wheels off the ground whilst storing them to stop the tyre being left flat. Basicly one step back from tubs on the faff/performance scale, they ride like tubs but you don’t get the weight benefit of the lighter rim.

23 has been the standard for ever but it has been decided that 25s are a way to sell us more stuff roll faster so that’s what all the pros have shifted to in the last 18 months. If you’re riding 25s already stick with them

I’m not that old and even I remember 20-21mm being the standard and 23mm was the bigger option.

pirahna
    Free Member

I couldn’t tell the difference between latex and butyl tubes from a ride perspective. Latex tubes lose air pressure a lot faster and they’re bulkier (the ones I’ve tried have been) if you want to carry one as a spare.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i rode for the first time with latex tubes yesterday and i can definitely feel the difference.

I have the same tyres as before (but i do have new bar tape ;))

2 differences: weight; can feel the difference that a few grams have made.
    Feel; hard to describe but the vibrations transmitted feel completely different. The tyres feel thinner: like the vibration is being transmitted across the surface of a balloon, instead of a tyre.

I also run pretty low pressure 70/80 psi on 28c tyres. I don’t know if 100 psi + on 23s would be so noticeable.

edhornby

if it’s still ok, put the front on the back and try a new 23 on the front, this works for me on my fixed gear (as long as you can stand the thought of mismatched tyres)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Simple way arround that, either buy a 3rd mathcing tyre so you can replace the back twice as often as the front, or have a spare wheelset for sunday best with matching tyres, and something cheap for doing miles on in the week.

vincienup
    Free Member

Conti GP 28’s for me. I don’t hold with this narrow business…

griffiths1000
    Free Member

edhornby – Member

if it’s still ok, put the front on the back and try a new 23 on the front, this works for me on my fixed gear (as long as you can stand the thought of mismatched tyres)

I think a mismatch would bring out the OCD in me! 😕

TiRed

Latex tubes are about 80g. They have much lower hysteresis – i.e., they do not absorb energy and hence they roll better. A nice test is to just stretch one and compare with a cheap butyl inner tube. There is anecdotal evidence that the increased deformation means they are more resistant to punctures – but I’ve not noticed this.

Now the downsides: they are much harder to fit because they deform so easily they are prone to being trapped between the bead and the rim if mounted incorrectly. Then they explode with a huge bang! You will do this at least once and marvel at the 20 cm split in the tube and the £8 you’ve just wasted, whilst enduring temporary deafness.

And of course, latex is permeable to air so your tyres will lose about 8-10 PSI per night.

That said, I believe that 80% of the riding characteristics of tubulars (which tend to use latex tubes) can be had with michelin latex inner tubes and good quality clincher tyres. I slightly over-inflate my commuting bike on a Monday and it lasts until Wednesday. I love them.

Oh and they will make a little more noise with Ultremos.

lunge

I always err on the side of 25’s but the quality of the tyre is the biggest thing as mentioned above. If the tyre I want is avilable in 25mm I’ll have it, if not, 23mm is fine. I find the 25mm a bit more comfortable but it’s very marginal.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes this. For example 23mm Continental GP 4000s are way more comfortable than 25 mm Continental Gatorskins

I changed from 28mm Gatorskins to 25mm GP 4 seasons – which I find more comfortable.

fasthaggis

There is anecdotal evidence that the increased deformation means they are more resistant to punctures – but I’ve not noticed this.

Yup, I tried MTB ones years ago ,but never noticed any change in puncture rate,and they were very expensive .

Oh and they will make a little more noise with Ultremos.

That’s it I am sold 😉

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Split the difference and went for 24c 😕 More because of price than size.
    Here

folding bead
    220tpi nylon casing
    sub-200g weight
    max 145PSI
    For £11.99 at 70% discount can’t argue!!!!!! 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s a flippin bargain price!

Curious how they compare against Ultremo’s which have a reputation for being the nicest (at the expense of durability) clincher tyres from the big brands.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve started using 23mm Veloflex Corsas, which are fantastic tyres, so with my birthday coming up I’m going to ask for a pair of latex inners just to see how they ride but without much expectation of them lasting very long, having used them in the past and given up on them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Roadie tires 700 x 25 or 700 x 23?’ is closed to new replies.