• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by WTF.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Roadie bar tape – whats the most comfortable?
  • binners

Those of you of the half rice/half chips persuasion* Your recommendations please ladies and gents.

My hands are getting a bit numb, despite the gel track mitts. What’s the solution. Other than flat bars, suspension and 2.5″ tyres 😉

*road/mountain bike – I’m not casting aspersions about your sexuality

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What about double wrapping?

mos

spesh bar phat is nice

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like the specailzed BG stuff and the bogo bonty stuff, the latter I had on my SS lug for a year and never got numb hands even with no gloves.

charliedontsurf

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/cinelli-bar-gel-cushion-kit-463-p.asp

Stick some of this Cinelli get stuff under the tape for a comfort time.

I have used them for years under all types of tape. I have a history of damaged hands from cycling to scotland and now need these on drop bars. Great stuff.

crikey
    Free Member

Numb hands is usually a sign of a poor position, and gloves or bar tape are only a temporary fix. It’s usually the case that you are sitting too far forwards, supporting too much weight through your hands. Using thicker tape and or padded gloves tends to move the problem to your shoulders and neck. I’d look again at your saddle position, and see if you can go further back. Best tape is the padded cork style stuff, and you can overlap it more than usual to thickening it up where needed.

simondbarnes

Lizard Skins DSP is properly lovely bar tape.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve double-wrapped my commuter roadie bike bar tape, much more comfortable for me.

amplebrew

Not speaking from personal experience, but my work partner has recently fitted some Lizard Skins bar tape and he reckons it’s fantastic. He too wanted some comfier tape and he’s been through a few brands before settling on Lizard Skins.

binners

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Plenty to go at there. The way my hands feel at the moment I’m thinking Charlie’s gels and some lizard skins. Would that be overkill? 😀

Crikey – I think you’ve got a fair point there. I’m fairly new to this roadie lark and I’m making it up as I go along. I know how I like my mountain bikes set up as I’ve been doing it for years, but this is all new. I’ll have a try with altering the riding position A bit and see how I get on

Thanks for the words of wisdom folk, as ever

Teetosugars
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    Lizard Skins DSP is properly lovely bar tape.

Yup, I run this on my road, and CX bikes..

Great bit of kit.

LardLover
    Free Member

Wished I’d found Lizard Skins DSP before now. It’s not the cheapest but your hands will thank you.

ourmaninthenorth

binners – I’ve concluded that gradually road riding decreases sensitivity…
    …in the hands, and so thin tape and rock hard tyres doesn’t seem to bother me.

Bazz

Quite like the Charge U-bend one, best bit is it’s a perfect colour match for their spoon saddles.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have the Spesh roubaix tape + gel pads on one bike, Stella Azzurra on another and recently stuck Lizard Skins DSP on a third. I like them all really (haven’t ridden far on the DSP though). DSP + gel pads would probably work but it would give you a pretty fat bar so not great if you have small hands. You could always try just DSP and if you want more after get gel pads (DSP seems to unwrap and rewrap pretty easily to me).

binners

No worries there FuzzyWuzzy. i’ve got hands like shovels 😀

Going to order some Gels from charlie and some Lizard Skins methinks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not just about position, core strength and weight come into it as well. I’m a big bugger and suffered when I first started the road bike as well, But it seems to be getting better.

If your core ain’t strong enough to support a big upper body, then you’ll be piling a lot of weight onto your hands.

Bez

+1 for sort your position, you shouldn’t get numb hands. Double wrapping or Bar Phat will take the edge off if you ache on long rides, but that’s not numbness.

Saying that, mine were pretty numb at 6am today – brrr! 🙂

WTF
    Free Member

Fizik gel pads and the bar tape that come as a kit seem alright to me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Roadie bar tape – whats the most comfortable?’ is closed to new replies.