Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road Tyres for Winter
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Any thoughts on what tyres for a road bike over winter? At the moment I have 23mm Michelin Speedium 2s.

I'm not planning to race or anything, just some 50 mile Saturday morning training runs. Is it just a case of getting something a bit wider, and if so how much? 25mm? 28mm? Any advice on makes that handle well in the wet?

I know I should post this on a roadie forum, but I'd get really in-depth answers from racing whippets.

druidh
    Free Member

There's another thread on this very subject. Conti GP 4 seasons seem to be worth trying (25mm).

0091paddy
    Free Member

I use Continental Ultra Gator Skins for winter training/commuting, think last year I only had a handful of punctures. Hard wearing as well, still plenty of tread left despite over a thousand miles on them. Many of the club riders also swear by them:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=18800

theboatman
    Free Member

+ 1 vote for Gator Skins.

alotronic
    Free Member

I run the 25c Ultra Gator Skins too. Great except that they are VERY tight on the rim. I bought some steel core tyre levers. This is a general Conti problem. Otherwise you can't really go wrong with these. Grip is ok, life excellent, London tough.

stevehine

+1 Ultra Gator Skins; most puncture resistant tyre I've ever had – my spare tube has seen no action at all this year !

simondbarnes

Conti 4 seasons

kennyp
    Free Member

Sound like Gator Skins are the way to go. And the Bike Co-Op stock them so I'll be down there tomorrow (riding round Arran on Saturday and the forecast stinks).

Cheers for the responses.

Digimap
    Free Member

Can't just be me not getting the winter/summer road tyre thing. Why run grippy tyres in summer, when the road grip is higher, then slippy hard compounds in winter when grip is reduced anyway. I can't see the durability argument at all. Cold + wet doesn't cause punctures.

My preference for a tyre that handles well in the wet depths of winter would be a quality race tyre like a michelin pro. Run the cheaper tyres in summer.

aP
    Free Member

Conti GP 4 season 23mm for everyday and nasty weather riding, Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Quattro 23mm for pretty much everything else apart from pave and the possibility of ice when its got to be Vittoria Pave Evo-CG 24mm.
    Wet causes punctures as the glass and pieces of grit stay on the tyre before they start to work their way into the rubber.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

+1 Continental Ultra Gatorskin

Currently using 25mm Continental Durasports, which appear to be pretty tough but not as tough as the Gatorskins, which are kept on all year as I don't have the luxury of a summer and a winter road bike and also like the comfort of a 25mm tyre.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

+1 gatorskins, did a full winters worth of training on them last year and no punctures.

Because I have just said the above this winter I will have millions!! 😳

MrSmith
    Free Member

the ride quality and grip of gatorskins is poor compared to the 4seasons which have a higher tpi and grippier rubber. worth spending the extra imho

kennyp
    Free Member

I can't see the durability argument at all. Cold + wet doesn't cause punctures.

Fair point, but in my case it's because I'm seriously crap at fixing punctures. It's okay in the summer, but when it's cold and wet I really don't want to have to.

saladdodger
    Free Member

GP 4 seasons last for ever

I have x2 brand new on the classified at the mo £30 posted

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cold + wet doesn't cause punctures.

Wet does cause punctures, the temp has very little impact though. Water acts as a great lubricant for glass through rubber. I'd run the same year-round, but make sure they were "puncture proof" ones.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Due to the fact i can get Conti's or pretty much anything else mainstream onto my Campag rims i went for Schwalbe Blizzrds, i run them all year round with no problems and really like them.

ourmaninthenorth

Pave Evo-CG 24mm.

One of the very best tyres available, whatever the time of year. Mine will be going back on the winter trainer soon enough. Soft, but grip like sh*t to a blanket. And so, so comfortable….

vinnyeh

Looking forward to trying the Pave if they ever arrive. My fault for picking the lowest price supplier, then finding they've only got one in stock….

Digimap
    Free Member

Wet does cause punctures, the temp has very little impact though. Water acts as a great lubricant for glass through rubber. I'd run the same year-round, but make sure they were "puncture proof" ones.

Interesting point, I guess that could make some sense. I've also seen the "not wanting to fix punctures in winter" argument made before.

Perhaps the puncture debate comes down to where we all ride. Personally I get about one road puncture a year and ride 2/3 times a week but then It's all rural lanes. I know other riders get many more punctures. At one puncture a year I'd go for grip over puncture resiliance, at one puncture a month I guess my priorities might change.

Bottom line, fit whatever gets you into wet corners with confidence, bin the rest. +1 michelin, -1 conti GP4

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry to but in but whats the difference between Conti 4000 S and the straight 4000 model? Its it the s means black chilli compound?

Digimap
    Free Member

The all black Grand Prix 4000 S catches the eye with its big silver labels. Aggressive and posh alike it matches every high-end racebike perfectly. With the reduction to black and silver the Grand Prix 4000S does not clash with the frames` colour or rim stickers. S stands for sport, special and “schwarz“ – the german term for black.

But the Grand Prix 4000 S can do more than just look good. With the new Black Chili Compound rolling resistance is reduced by 26%, grip is increased by 30% and mileage is increased by 5%.

Hmmm.

twohats
    Free Member

Sorry to but in but whats the difference between Conti 4000 S and the straight 4000 model? Its it the s means black chilli compound?

4000s used to be the only one with the black chilli compound, now the regular 4000 is black chilli too, but only the black compound, not the coloured versions.
    As pointed out above, s stands for schwarz and gets you an all black tyre with silver logos.

foxyrider
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Road Tyres for Winter’ is closed to new replies.