Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Grizedale Bridleways or Gisburn Forest or Whinlatter
  • John25
    Free Member

Hi

I'm staying in Kendal this week but I'm not from this area and don't know the in's and out's of the mtb riding in the lakes

I've ridden Whinlatter (very impressive) and some short routes around Kendal

I have Thursday free for biking, I have a map of the Grizedale bridleways and have been told they are excellent. I was reading about Gisburn forest and am tempted to go there, but I don't know the area so I may spend a lot of time looking for trails as opposed to riding

Should I ride Grizedale bridleways (don't rate north face after a trip there a few years ago), Gisburn or back to Whinlatter?

Which is likely to be in good condition after todays (and tomorrows forecast) rain

Thank You

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gisburn is a long way from Kendal…

There is loads of decent stuff around the Lakes which I'd go for first.

Just ask the resident sexpest Photographer SFB..

Or just pop into BikeTreks in Ambleside and get some routecards from Andy.

taka
    Free Member

guisburn forest is one to got to if you are ever any closer to it 😉

grumm
    Free Member

If you're in Kendal then it would make sense to check out Kentmere. Garburn Pass is great (both ways round), there's a nice loop round Staveley-Longsleddale-Kentmere, or Gatescarth and Nan Bield if you are feeling adventurous.

I wouldn't go all the way to Gisburn from there, and it's not signed properly yet.

The bridleways in Grizedale are indeed excellent, Lawson Park, Breasty Haw, The riverbed and the Parkamoor over to Satterthwaite BW are the best bits I've done. There is a good one from the Fox down towards Esthwaite as well.

splatz
    Free Member

The bridleways in Grizedale offer everything you might want in a day's mtbiking……the North Face amounts to less than 1% of what's available and it isn't the best 1% believe me.

You could head south down the lake then cut back east and take the descent into Satterthwaite and then across to Breasty Haw then keep going through the woods towards Far Sawrey and take the bridleway down to the lake along the shore and climb back up from Wray and Basecamp for the descent into Colthouse and Hawkshead. Then take the bridleway from the middle of Hawkshead called Vicarage and join the North Face for the descent into the visitors centre.

Just one thought amongst many…..if it's too long just turn towards Hawkshead at halfway.

Spoilt for choice really.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You can ride from Kendal – Underbarrow Road, Gamblesmire Lane, Beckside, Crook Hall, Birk Moss, Thornyfields, Winster etc etc or take the ferry over to Claife…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Don't bother coming to Gisburn just yet, maybe in a month when all the signage has been installed. Whinlatter is good for a trail centre ride and the bogtrotters borrowdale bash route is excellent for a technical XC MTB ride. We did both the whinlatter trails and borrowdale bash in one day, definitely recommended if you like it XC techy and some trail centre jumpy, a bit of everything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale Bridleways or Gisburn Forest or Whinlatter’ is closed to new replies.