Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Road rage incident during commute
  • surfer
    Free Member

Do you think an angry shouting red-faced person is MORE or LESS likely to take your point and admit their mistake?

You mentioned "shouting" and "red faced" I didnt and why would you assume that when people get angry they go red faced and raise their voice?
    Are you just trying to strengthen your argument?

molgrips
    Free Member

There are plenty of other ways of being non confrontational without being apologetic.

Fair enough, if you can find one.

I suggested a familiar sentence form that included the word 'sorry' more as an 'excuse me' type of opener – possibly even in a sarcastic way. I didn't say that you had to actually be contrite.

Psychology is the reason why sorry is used in this sentence.

molgrips
    Free Member

why would you assume that when people get angry they go red faced and raise their voice?

Because that's usually what happens… especially in road rage situations… it's not called road rage for nothing.

surfer
    Free Member

Because that's usually what happens… especially in road rage situations… it's not called road rage for nothing

But you are confusing "usually" with "in all instances"

I frequently get angry (I see this as a flaw) but I struggle to conceive of a situation where I would be physically violent, any issues I have had have been in defence. I dont get a red face or shout.

Junkyard
    Free Member

This person disagrees with me and I believe them to be wrong – therefore I shall challenge them to a duel with bare-knuckle fisticuffs and possibly a Crooklock"

I dont want to have a fight either but when someone looks you straight in the eye and pulls out on you and then says it is your fault as you dont pay tax or some other b0llox I find my desire to engage in reasonable dialogue is somewhat diminished.
    I aint fighting though EVER.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dunno about others but I like to ease off to aid overtaking for long or slow vehicles.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Of course Al, as you're always going so fast! 😕

brooess
    Free Member

Self-control is a sign of a mature and psychologically sound person.
    So not everyone can override their natural urge to get angry when confronted or scared.

Personally I make my feelings known remotely – by waving my arms around, or just putting it down to them being an idiot and staying away. Too easy to come to harm when it's car vs bike

molgrips
    Free Member

I frequently get angry (I see this as a flaw) but I struggle to conceive of a situation where I would be physically violent, any issues I have had have been in defence. I dont get a red face or shout.

Well that's great, but how does you explaining your less common case help this thread?

I am the same FWIW.

hora
    Free Member

by waving my arms around

I did the handle-shuffle once. The lad braked hard and selected reverse (at speed).

What really works us the 'what' open arm gesture? Works in the car as well. combatitive-types lookout for and get off on aggressive hand movements IMO.

…but as you say- the best thing to do is nothing. Stressing out cancels out the benefit of cycling into work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bigyinn it's nothing to do with speed as the op has demonstrated.

surfer
    Free Member

Well that's great, but how does you explaining your less common case help this thread?

Dont know but surely even anecdotaly it makes a greater contribution than telling the aggressor that you are sorry. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

You're not telling the agressor you're sorry for getting in their way.

You're opening a sentence with a common disarming turn of phrase in order that your conversation might achieve a useful end.

I think that's a useful life lesson. And it works for me often.

surfer
    Free Member

but as you say- the best thing to do is nothing

But surely that just reinforces bad/dangerous behaviour. We can disagree on what response is appropriate but in my opinion there should at least be one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Dunno about others but I like to ease off to aid overtaking for long or slow vehicles.

Yup – in conjunction with owning my space in the road so they can only overtake when I deem it safe. So when the road is narrow I am right out into the road stopping them squeezing past, When there is enough room for them to pass safely I tuck into the edge, stop pedalling and wave them thru

cynic-al
    Free Member

Reasonable questions along the lines of "does my safety matter to you" are pretty disarming IMO.

, When there is enough room for them to pass safely I tuck into the edge, stop pedalling and wave them thru

A good idea but too often abused, giving us a bad name.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – always done with my safety as the paramount concern – but it seems reasonable that if I have been forceful in making them wait behind I acknowledge their patience in doing so and make it easy to pass when I deem it safe

I don't really see how it could be abused

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like to ease off to aid overtaking for long or slow vehicles.

I like them to wait till there is enough room to overtake me safely like the highway code says they should do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don't really see how it could be abused

Folk do it where it's not necessary.

Junkyard – Member

I like them to wait till there is enough room to overtake me safely like the highway code says they should do.
    Me too!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I ride on the pavement, it's much safer.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Anyway, thought you'd like to know I made it home without incident, phew, but thought better about cycling in this morning. Silly I know.
    Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll think twice before opening gob next time! 😆
    Stay safe.
    B

DezB
    Free Member

Don't let em get to you! Especially not in this perfect riding weather

molgrips
    Free Member

If I realise I am holding up traffic and might be for a few hundred yards more, I pull over or hop onto the pavement.

Glad to hear you are safe DD.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Last time I had a lorry pull back in on me to soon I chased after him as I knew he would have to stop up ahead and when I did catch up with him and pointed out that he'd pulled back in on me he was very apologetic which completely through me. So there are some good lorry drivers who like the rest of us miss judge things and are ready to say sorry.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Road rage incident during commute’ is closed to new replies.