Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Road Pedals
  • Shack
    Free Member

Currently riding SPDs on my road bike, but now looking to move to a proper roadie pedal. What would people reccomend? and is there any significant differences between the different brands?

oldgit
    Free Member

LOOK I think is the most popular? and it’s all I’ve ever ridden. Hope that helps.

sandwicheater

I’m in a similar boat Shack and so far all have recommended LOOK.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I ride speedplays at the moment. I think the pedal you chose depends on your riding and if you like a lot of float or have knee problems. I got the speedplays to help my knee and i haven’t had any knee pain since i got them.
    The only other road pedals Ive used are Times. Really nice big platform and a bit of float. Wanted more float though so changed to speedplays, after a few years.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Shimano SPD-R are good. Look cleats have a reputation of wearing badly when walked on.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano haven’t made SPD-R is a few years now, it is all SPD-SL these days.

meeeee
    Free Member

my ultegra road pedals have been trouble free for 3 years, cleats not wearing too badly either as well.

logic1980
    Free Member

im using shimmy 105’s and I think they good so far – riden about 2000 miles id say now but they are my first clipless so cant compare them but they have done everything i wanted from them without breaking and thats in all weather.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Got some Shimano R540 spd-sl for sale if you want them. 🙂

£15 posted

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Always used to use Look pedals, though have been using Shimano A520 touring pedals for the last few years and think they’re fab. Cuts down on the amount of shoes and spares I need to buy as all my bikes run SPDs. They also don’t look out of place on a road bike.

13thfloormonk

Bought the 2nd most basic Looks as my first ‘proper’ road pedals. They feel great and I reckon, combined with the shoes, do make a difference.

Can’t compare to other brands but would be tempted to try shimano next, the Looks seem to have a little play already (three months irregular riding) and the cleats are indeed starting to fall apart.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I run Look Keo Classics – done over 4000 miles on them (about 1000 miles per year), there is a bit of play in the axles, but I’d expect that after this amount of miles.

Cleats do need to be replaced reasonably regularly – I usually have to buy a set every 12-18 months.

The engagement mechanism is very good, not so tight that you can’t clip out, not so loose that you don’t unclip when you don’t want to.

I’d buy the same ones again if I was starting out now.

clubber
    Free Member

SPD-SL for me – work as well if not better than Looks but have better cleat (the working surface isn’t what you walk on so they last longer) and are cheaper.

Previously used Look

13thfloormonk

run Look Keo Classics – done over 4000 miles on them (about 1000 miles per year), there is a bit of play in the axles, but I’d expect that after this amount of miles.

Cleats do need to be replaced reasonably regularly – I usually have to buy a set every 12-18 months.

😯 I must have got a bad set, I’ve managed 400 miles so far before developing play, and probably got 12-18 weeks out of the cleats! Admittedly that road from Glen Lochy to Glen Lyon did start a little ‘CX’ with a gate/cattlegrid to negotiate…

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Currently in the process of fitting some Speedplays to the bike, i’ll let you know at the weekend what they are like.

Shack
    Free Member

Well, looks like a straight choice between Look & Shimano with Shimano coming out as harder wearing. Will probably go for the 105s, Ultegras at twice the price seem a little indulgent. Thanks for the advice

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The trick to making your cleats last a long time is not to walk on them! Too many cafe stops 😉

The new keo cleats have little grippy bits on them to stop you slipping and wear better.

I have keo carbon max pedals and they’re great, an upgrade from the earlier keo easy’s. Solid, lots of float with the red cleats and a nice engagement mechanism. That said “‘ve not used the Shimano ones so cant comment on them.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

There’s Shimano roadie pedals that are mtb spd cleat compatible. Would mean not having to buy new shoes. I considered some but ended up getting road shoes and pedals to get the beat combo.

TiRed

I use Look KEO, kids use Shimano SPD-SL. In all honesty, the Shimanos are easier to get in and out of.

My first road bike pedals were M757’s with MTB shoes. These were ideal because the treaded shoes helped me keep the tandem upright. When the spindle snapped I eventually went to Look.

EDIT one further point, buy some cleat covers for walking in. Saves slipping over and wear. Not too bulk to carry in a back pocket.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I have Look Keo Sprints and they are OK but I don’t really rate them. If I was buying again I think I would go Shimano SPD SL’s based on my mates’ positive reviews.

I find the keo cleats wear out very quickly. And annoyingly I snapped a brand new one in the transition area of a triathlon, first time it was used (granted this is probably just unlucky).

If you go with Looks then I prefer the red cleats that give you 9degree of float rather than the grey ones which are 4.5degrees.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Time are highly rated by the mags, never had any personal experience of them to relate though.
    The carbon sprung instant engagement ones they have out now are intriguing, I’d like to try them.

m1kea
    Free Member

I’ve used Look since 1989 on’t road.

The previous generation were infamous for squeaking but I’ve not had any probs with my four pairs of Keos.

Oh and one advantage 😉 of worn cleats is you get a bit more float 😆

crikey
    Free Member

Kids use SPD-SL?
    WHOO HOO! I’m young again!
    Looks are good, but shimano solved the can’t walk anywhere thing with SPD sls.
    Best not to buy top of the range pedals, I think, because pedals get battered from feet, from everything, an no one knows what pedals you are using when you’re actually riding.

fubar
    Free Member

When I have the cash I’m going to switch to Speedplays for the double-sided entry. I had a little accident whilst using my 105s when I sprinted from the lights and my foot slipped (followed by the rest of my body onto the road) as I’d managed to set off with one foot unclipped on the wrong side of the pedal (user error !)

mrmo
    Free Member

been using Time for 4 years and am now on the second set of cleats, no play in the bearings and must have done in excess of 12-3K miles.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve been using Look for a couple of years and really rate them, granted they’re the only road pedals I’ve ever used 😉

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Look pedals for me too. very good. A mate uses speedplay as he has a knee injury at the mo.

grahamt1980

Am currently running Look Keo Easy’s on my roadie, ohly until my Keo Max 2 Carbons turn up.

I love the look pedals, however various mates love ultegras so seems like horses for courses to me

clubber
    Free Member
    thomthumb
    Free Member

I bought shimano as i had shimano spds and thought that road ones would be of similar quality. bought the entry level shimanos. they’ve been great. probably need new cleats next year after 3 years riding.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got some used ultegra spd-SLs and 3 cleats and can send your way for not much money if interested? at least you could try them out before spending too much on a replacement?

They stiil work great and no play in bearings, they just dont look as good as they used to.

Was gonna ebay them this weekend so let me know and I can send you pics later?

You got mail too 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Road Pedals’ is closed to new replies.