Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Road cycling in a full face helmet
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Seriously.

I’ve been catching the bus to work while my collar bone and shoulder heal.

A man passes me at the bus stop each morning on a road bike, sporting a black full face helmet.

Is it one of you guys? 😀

I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s the ‘Shaddow’

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve seen a guy in black full face speeding through brixton > kennington, must be well sweaty.

allthepies
    Free Member

See quite a few brompton riders in that London wearing those lids with the chin guard thing. Always gets a snigger from moi.

stumpy01

Maybe he’s had some kind of head injury/brain surgery and wants the most protection he can reasonably get – like that soldier blokie who did Dancing On Ice (ahem, so I heard) this year started off wearing a helmet.

If I had the choice of wear a full face or not ride, I know what I’d do.

Or maybe he just thinks he looks rad?! 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

When I was a bike courier in London there was also another courier who always wore a full-face helmet on a track bike. Maybe it’s the same guy! 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Maybe they’ve got an extra gnarly commute?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CbQOLqZ8IA[/video]

Or maybe he’s a BMXer or DHer, bought a road bike to get to work, and only has one helmet.

rewski
    Free Member

Fair play to the guy, I think he’s highlighting a gap in the market, a full face with the same ventilation as a standard lid. Unless there is one I don’t know about?

He doesn’t look rad, he looks like he’s chasing the someone who’s stolen his moped.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I regually see an old boy in his late 60’s (apparently)trundlinga round the roads here on a Cervelo P4 with Zipp 808’s, full on try set up but flat pedals, wearing a P1sspot, trainers,and clips around his trousers..

Speaking to the lads at Royles, hes’ pretty well known.. 😕

miketually
    Free Member

So,

not wearing a helmet = OMG you’ll die!!!!!!11!!One

wearing a full face helmet = ha ha

?

peterfile
    Free Member

Maybe he’s had some kind of head injury/brain surgery and wants the most protection he can reasonably get

I’d probably be avoiding riding in traffic altogether for a while if i’d had brain surgery! 😀

BigJohn

Needs some Zovirax for his cold sore?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Invisible man? Maybe he needs full coverage to show his body. Ever seen a gap between his shorts/shoes or sleeves/bars?

I bet he owns a dog and hangs turds in trees.

Bregante

I used to see a guy in a full face most mornings on Ashton Old Rd, Manchester

rewski
    Free Member

wearing a full face helmet = ha ha

Don’t think anyones laughing at him… are they?

peterfile
    Free Member

no, not laughing at him.

It’s just a bit niche, which is why i thought it was someone on STW 😆

he HAS to be a mountain biker?! i can’t imagine any self respecting roadie walking into an mtb shop and buying a full face helmet for their daily commute.

DezB
    Free Member

I regularly see a bloke on my commute wearing a full face. I think he’s on a slicked mtb. I used to laugh, but now I just nod “hello (weirdo)”

crazy-legs

I’ve seen it a few times as well in both London and Manchester. In fact one of the guys I used to work with wore a motorbike helmet when riding his MTB to work cos he was a complete nutcase who regularly got into scrapes/incidents/accidents with cars. He rode like a lunatic. 🙁

jfletch
    Free Member

Almost every day on my commute I see a bloke going the other way riding a full on downhill bike, along the pavement, going very slowly, in jeans.

He has been doing for as long as I’ve done the commute, over 4 years. Surely it would be a hell of a lot easier just to get a cheapo second hand commuter/road bike than pedal that beast at least 10 miles a day (based on the extremes of where I see him)

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’ve often seen a guy on an MTB riding through Heald Green with a full-face helmet on.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I see a guy in Wandsworth periodically – very battered black Remedy full face with no peak, Motorway maintenance styel fluoro work jacket, grubby jeans and work boots. Same kit whatever the weather. He must roast in the summer. Jumps lights, so mostly gets filed under “T” for tw*t in my mental index.

parkesie
    Free Member

Had a chuckle at the idea of roaing in a full face helmet reading this earlier. Out and about and what should i see? Only a guy on an old peugeot roadbike in a full face? Must be a southern thing.

charliedontsurf

It’s not a bad idea.
    I have seen guys in a full face mince down safe trails. So why not wear one on the road where you have so many obstacles n stuff, higher average speeds and shithead motorists ???

Oh I know why. Cos the cycling fashion and etiquette barriers would be broken down.

And just so you lot don’t forget:
    Shaven on road
    Hairy offroad
    No peaks on the road
    No baggies on the road
    Anyone caught smiling on the road will be considered a undercover mountainbiker just pretending to be fast.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there’s a guy I see in London on a hybrid with a Met Parachute and a 66 compression suit

bomba
    Free Member

I’ve seen a guy in London riding in an American football helmet 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

No peaks on the road

ye sbut they cheat by having an integrate dmini peak these days – he did used to ride with apeak iirc especially in rain

cookeaa

Inappropriate cycling gear is the only look worth having on a commute:

See…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Road cycling in a full face helmet’ is closed to new replies.