Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • road bikes and how to ride them?
  • joemetcalfm
    Free Member

i have been a bmx and mtb rider for years. last weekend i went to a demo with cervelo. such amazing bikes. i thought i got on pretty well, didnt get left behind and was even at the front a few times. the thing i couldnt get my head round was speed wobble. i only had it once but i was pushing past 40 and nearly had a code brown. the bike was a s3 and sweet as a nut. is there a way of avoiding or correcting speed wobble? any ideas about set up and position would help. i think im going to have to get one….

njee20
    Free Member

Too little weight on the front is often the cause, but there are any number of things it could be.

mtbfix

Loosen up. It's sometimes a factor of death grip on the bars.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"code brown" lol!!!

I only get speed wobble at low speeds with front panniers.

Seems odd to me, did you ask anyone from Cervelo? Not being funny but you may not see 40mph often!

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

we were in portugal with some of the cervelo test team, those guys can move! i was on an S3 which is the top end aero bike. it did feel long (56) so maybe not enough weight on the front end. when the wobble kicked in there was quite a bit of death grip. i tried an R3 the following day and didnt have any problems. but we didnt drop any hill the size of the day before so no where near the 40mph mark.

Philby

There's some stuff over on Bike Radar about speed wobbles – see http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/fitness/article/qa-speed-wobble-14776

Sounds like it is a fairly rare condition resulting from the coincidence of a number of factors. Apparently squeezing the frame with your knees is one solution.

ourmaninthenorth

we were in portugal with some of the cervelo test team…but we didnt drop any hill the size of the day before so no where near the 40mph mark.

Is it flat where you were? These lads can hit that without gravity to assist..!

Speed wobble is an odd one, but it sounds like the others have said – not enough weight on the front and too tight a grip on the bars.

Road bikes are a truly great thing. Enjoy!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

yep wrong forum metcalf…your not welcome with your road bike ways! 🙄

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

When you were descending did you put your weight back, as you would on an MTB? – cause on a road bike you go the other way – weight forward – and try and stay relax in the shoulder and wrists – but apply pressure to the top tube
    40mph is not that quick – I’ll hit that several times on a ride & I’m old & fat – 55 is quite quick though
    Disclaimer – I’m not a roadie – just ride a road bike now and again so could be talking crap

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

there were quite a few good climbs. im not sure of how high but the down hills were pretty steep and quite long. i know 40 is pretty slow on the road but fast enough for death! i think i was trying to ride it like a mtb so probably the weight thing. defo going to do some work on the road it can only help me on the mountains.

ourmaninthenorth

55 is quite quick though

and

fast enough for death

Agreed. Hit 63mph coming off Holme Moss last year. Had a word with myself at the bottom for the idiocy of it.

on a road bike you go the other way – weight forward – and try and stay relax in the shoulder and wrists

Pretty fair. Think of yourself on a motorbike, carving through turns (although tuck your inside knee in on bends, rather than hanging it out).

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Yea – lots of weight over the outside pedal when going round corners
    Ourmaninthenorth – 55mph heading down past stump cross caverns in to a nice set of ‘S’ bends – the 40 tonne bulk carried that was behind me at the time was a bit worrying
    Definitely on of those “if I come off now… it’s going to hurt moments

cynic-al
    Free Member

Overtaking cars on alpine descents is fun. And dangerous.

I def keep my speed low in town.

colnagokid

Ive had this a few times, mainly after a series of crashes close togeather- its always been me, gripping too tight, being nervous etc. Try and relax, sing to yourself to take your mind off the speed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

yep wrong forum metcalf…your not welcome with your road bike ways! 🙄

That was a bit out of the blue and uncalled for?

snaps
    Free Member

I don't think so – when there's a perfectly good road forum.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah the "them and us" crowd are here I see. Nothing wrong with talking about road bikes on here IMHO.

Riding Cervelos in Portugal? I reckon this is more of a gloating thread than asking for riding tips joe 😆

parkesie
    Free Member

I had a major code brown wehn i hit 50 on a c2c went across 2 lanes and came to a stop in the centeral reservation. combination of tiredness and spokey dokeys 😆

mustard
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

yep wrong forum metcalf…your not welcome with your road bike ways!

I think there may have been a bit of sarcasm there – click on both their usernames, my guess is metcalf is an employee. 😀

wellhung
    Free Member

Sure i read on a bike forum that the R3 suffer from that there speed wobbling thingy me jobby. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘road bikes and how to ride them?’ is closed to new replies.