• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Road bike sizing – advice needed please
  • Chase
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice regarding standover height and seat tube length.
    I’m 5’11”, usually ride a medium (18″) MTB. Standard 32″/80cm inside leg.
    The bike i’m looking at comes with the following three options that are probably best suited to me….
    49cm seat tube – 74.6cm standover
    52cm seat tube – 76.2cm standover
    54cm seat tube – 78.2cm standover

Any advice on sizing greatly appreciated. Thanks 8)

PS. this is the bike….
    http://www.sebikes.com/Singlespeed/Lager.aspx

tinribz
    Free Member

You sound like a size 56cm would fit to me, but the eTT seems a little long on those langsters. Also there is so much contradicting advice around these days about seat tube vs top tube, I reckon it best to sit on the bike and ask a knowledgeable shop guy.

GJP
    Free Member

Generally I would look to chose a road bike first and foremost on effective horizontal TT length rather than seat tube. I would then look at ST and HT lengths to see if it is likely to provide an overall good fit. Some makes have geometries that suit and others do not.

For example, I am a bit of an odd shape about 5’8″ but with only 30in legs but rather long arms. 54cm bikes generally would give me the right TT length and probably a reasonable HT as well but I would struggle with standover. Whereas 52cm bikes give me the standover but can be a little lacking in the TT and HT.

Whichever way you look at this I can not really envisage a scenario where the 49 or 52 would be the right size for you – but the best advice is always to get a proper bike fit from a shop.

Hope this helps a little

GJP
    Free Member

I agree with tinribz the eTT are long on those bikes and there is quite a big jump between the 52cm and 54cm. I therefore have no idea 🙄

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Road bike sizing – advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.