Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Road bike = Racer ?
  • bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Am I really that old fashioned that piss taking should happen because I sometimes call road bikes, racers ? It’s what we used to call them back when I was a nipper.

jam-bo

I wouldn’t worry about it grandad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eeee, I were right about that saddle, though….

DezB
    Free Member

^^^ beat me to it by 2 seconds!

womble72
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/RnJk6bkjgko[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

garage-dweller

Racer = Road bike = Raleigh Banana?

Pipe and slippers now required?

captain-slow
    Free Member

you’re not old fashioned until you ask what tubing it’s made from

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Its my son taking said piss in a similar vein to that above.
    My first mtb was in Team Raleigh Banana colours, limited edition no less. I’ll tell you about the tubing but I might go on a bit…..

andrewreay

I must admit to having deliberately referred to some very expensive time trial and triathlon bikes as ‘racers’ to their owners. I think they were flattered, so clearly the distinction was lost on them.

That advert took me back…

Did anyone else notice that the kid set off the wrong way down a one way street? Only just picked that up.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As the advert shows there where no cars in northern towns back in them days, not even parked cars.
    So cycling the wrong way down a one way road posed no serious risks.

EDIT : Actually the road markings appear to be wrong.

Then :

Now :

So it’s apparently a two way road with give way markings right across it. No idea why.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The top picture is some kind of cycling utopia.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The top picture is some kind of cycling utopia.

Or post apocolyptic, grey dull drery and one bloke in day glow yellow?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Actually although the advert shows a tin bath hanging from an outside wall the street isn’t in a northern town.

I can’t do the link but if you google Street View of “Dutton Street Maidenstone Hill London, England” you will see that it is in fact in South East London.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

God. That advert is depressing. I’d forgotten just how shite things actually once were.

wilburt
    Free Member

God. That advert is depressing. I’d forgotten just how shite things actually once were.

What, cos we looked stuff up in books?

Or post apocolyptic

In an apocalypse everyone is dead you cant have a survivor.

You lot need to top up on your happy pills.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I rather like the thought of a time when we didn’t have to constantly look at phones, had to genuinely research things and take time to learn instead of having everything on tap, and speak to other people a lot more.

Oh, and refer to road bikes as racers! Life sounded so peaceful back then. Road bikes were racers in the late 80s for me.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The child in the advert seems quite lonely and sad. The father is emotionally distant and sleeps in wife-beaters. The wife dutifully plays along with his weirdly British emotionally distant conceit. The neighborhood looks utterly disconsolate. And the most depressing thing of all is that – at the time – this TV vignette of family life would have been considered somehow heart-warming and something to aspire to.

I remember when all TV, adverts, culture – heck even my own father – were a bit like this. And yes, it is depressing to think of.

IdleJon

In an apocalypse everyone is dead you cant have a survivor.

That messes up a huge amount of post-apocalyptic films and novels then..

The Road is a 2009 American post-apocalyptic drama film….
    The Last Man on Earth is an American post-apocalyptic comedy television series…
    Earth Abides is a 1949 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel….
    ad infinitum

convert

NED – You think too hard. Lad put off the scent of a new bike for his birthday, gets shiny bike he coveted rather than a pair of socks, rides bike.

What’s not to like!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The child in the advert seems quite lonely and sad. The father is emotionally distant and sleeps in wife-beaters. The wife dutifully plays along with his weirdly British emotionally distant conceit. The neighborhood looks utterly disconsolate. And the most depressing thing of all is that – at the time – this TV vignette of family life would have been considered somehow heart-warming and something to aspire to.

And yet, some people think that London is the greatest city on earth. 😆

footflaps

As the advert shows there where no cars in northern towns back in them days

I didn’t think they could afford cars up North even now? Next you’ll be telling me they have inside Loos and electricity!

Still every day is a school day….

bluebird
    Free Member

No, you are correct. They are racers.

All this new fangled gravel bike and audax/sportif bike nonsense is for old blokes, who are either too unfit or not flexible enough to ride a proper racer. 🙂

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

What’s your opinion on J. R. Hartley then NED? Bit of a wrong ‘un? Is fly fishing a euphemism for cottaging? 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is fly fishing a euphemism for cottaging?

Well, you do need to fish it out of your fly.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

bluebird – Member
    No, you are correct. They are racers.

All this new fangled gravel bike and audax/sportif bike nonsense is for old blokes, who are either too unfit or not flexible enough to ride a proper racer.

32t cassettes and compact chainrings do back up this notion somewhat. 42/52t FTW. 😆

RustySpanner

Wasn’t the Hovis advert filmed dahn sahf too?

All drop bar bikes were ‘racers’ until we knew better?

Selling cheap bikes that mimic proper racing bikes was all the rage back then.
    Still is, but the main market was children, rather than IT managers.
    🙂

Now got an urge for shorty mudguards and a Raleigh Arena.

bluebird
    Free Member

42/52t FTW.

52T? That’s still compact. Must be a minimum of 53T to count as a ‘real’ big ring 😀

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Road bikes were racers in the late 80s for me.

Same here, I’m in my mid thirties and me and all my mates knew and still refer to them as racers. Some people get a bit funny about their 5 grand carbon road bike being called a racer though 😆

convert

Must be a minimum of 53T to count as a ‘real’ big ring

Not if you are old enough. 53T+ on a ‘racer’ is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things. A 10T difference was the max front mechs could handle until the early 90s.

bluebird
    Free Member

I am old enough, but only got a my first road bike when 53/39 was the standard. I’m only mucking about anyway. It all depends on what you’re riding for and where you ride. No point in running 53/39 x 11-23 if you don’t race or live in the peaks and only ride once a week with your mates to the coffee shop.

andytherocketeer

My 5sp Raleigh Winner was a racer
    Don’t remember what I called the 10sp Peugeot
    The 531c 14sp 105 equipped bike I bought in 1989 was a road bike

Road bike’s a stupid name though. Actually so is racer.

Hovis ad was Devon/Dorset way wasn’t it?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ah takes me back to riding my Raleigh Pursuit racer in the mid 80s. In fact I still have it, might take it for a spin at the weekend 🙂

andytherocketeer

Was thinking of doing similar the other day, but bending all the way down to the downtube to change gear is going to be well strange.
    Upgrading to STI levers etc. will cost more than I paid for the bike.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Was thinking of doing similar the other day, but bending all the way down to the downtube to change gear is going to be well strange.

It’s not too much of a stretch if you can ride on the drops.

A cheap set of bar end shifters would be a decent STI alternative and they’d still look era-correct. No need to swap out your derailleurs etc. either with that setup 😀

matt_outandabout

OP – did you turn your bars up?

ransos
    Free Member

Road bike’s a stupid name though. Actually so is racer.

“Racer” was pretty accurate though – the bikes were similar in design to those used by people who raced. “Road bike” could cover any bike designed for riding on the road, so is a much less precise description.

brassneck

Wasn’t the Hovis advert filmed dahn sahf too?

Gold Hill, Shaftesbury innit bro

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Think my first proper “racer” was 44/52 on a campag 144bcd crank and something like a 13-23 5 speed freewheel from regina. Came in a little tin so it was easy to clean and re-oil.

Nico
    Free Member

“Racer” was pretty accurate though – the bikes were similar in design to those used by people who raced. “Road bike” could cover any bike designed for riding on the road, so is a much less precise description.

Back in my youth it was either a general purpose bike with 3-speed, mudguards, and a chainguard (Triumph Palm Beach) or it was a “racer”, with drops and derailleurs. Of course racers didn’t race but the term “racer” best expressed the features that distinguished them from heavier, more upright bikes.

By about 1990 you couldn’t buy a general purpose bike – it was mountain bike or racer, though racers rarely raced and mountain bikes sometimes did. But mountain bikes were meant for off road and bikes with drops were meant for on road. So the distinction was better expressed by the term “road” bike.

So it’s all quite logical really.

And we still spell neighbourhood correctly round these parts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Road bike = Racer ?’ is closed to new replies.