Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road bike pedals – worth it?
  • Woody
    Free Member

I’ve taken the plunge and bought a road bike which actually fits me – it’s been a long and painful process 😳

Question is, do road pedals/cleats actually make that much difference? I have a pair of very stiff soled mtb ‘race’ shoes and old Shimano road pedals which take the same cleats as mtb’s. I won’t be doing centuries any time in the forseeable, just keeping the legs turning over for the winter when I don’t fancy getting muddy, so should I just save my money?

RealMan
    Free Member

I ran normal specialized mtb shoes (carbon soles, ratchet, spds) on my road bike for ages. It works fine. I now run specialized s works road shoes and ultegra road pedals, and it’s proper lovely. But I still run spds and winter mountain bike boots on the winter road bike, still does the job. Might as well save your money.

EDIT: If you are interested in giving it a go anyway I’ve got a pair of these that I’m not currently using, yours for £18 posted.

Militant_biker

The main difference is that road pedals don’t have the same float to allow the foot to roll sideways like MTB pedals do. The body of the pedal, and the cleat interface is much larger, so the foot is more supported.

Difference? I guess road pedals allow more power transfer, and probably better for giving it the beans as it seems to take more effort to twist a foot out of them (at least with mine).

tinribz
    Free Member

From what I can tell road ones are just more expensive and more difficult to get in and out of. And added bonus the cleats make you walk like a duck.

fenred
    Free Member

Just swapped my look keo’s back to spds for winter and won’t be going back. Dual sided pedals with loads of float can’t be beaten IMO. So as realman says save your mullah for other kit,

djglover
    Free Member

Massive improvement IMHO. Got looks on the roadie and mtb spds on the commuter, looks are easier to get in and out of, have less float and a bigger area to support. I have stiffer shoes too. Only downside is the duck walk

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s pretty much what I thought. I can see that ‘proper’ road pedals would spread the load and have less float but at my level I’m pretty sure it won’t make the slightest difference.

RealMan
    Free Member

Will say that road shoes are more comfortable too, and also they aren’t covered in mud from the night ride the night before.. 😀

djglover
    Free Member

You could say that for each component of a bike, they all add up

fenred
    Free Member

Yep, as above I use road shoes for road bike dirty shoes for dirty bike 🙂

emanuel
    Free Member

much more support on roadie pedals.
    but,just tried the new shimano pedals with a bit of a platform on the sides,much better than the m540s I had before.this is on a touring bike.
    road bike has road pedals.mtb shoes are much heavier though.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got some Shimano road pedals you can have for free (well, postage) if you want.

Haze

Road pedals without doubt, loads better imo.

Not really that difficult to walk in, not that you’ll do much walking anyway. Maybe it gets a little tricky trying to carry 3 pints from the bar but nothing you won’t get used to after a couple of rounds.

Woody
    Free Member

That’s very decent of you Grum, thanks and I might well take you up on that.

I have a vague recollection of picking up a set of old Shimano ‘road’ spd’s for a project a while ago and they were not that much different to mtb ones except they were narrower an longer. Can’t for the life of me remember where I put them but I’ll have a rummage tomorrow and post up a pic, as they didn’t look to me as if they would offer any benefit over the mtb version.

emanuel
    Free Member

were they spd-r?the newer road stuff is different-look 3 bolt pattern.

Woody
    Free Member

Possibly – certainly nothing like the new stuff as they used the same cleats as mtb.

Actually, thinking about it they might go quite well with the retro’ish build I’m planning 💡

emanuel
    Free Member

if you’re going really retro,you can get cleats for pedals with toeclips and straps.look 3 bolt pattern though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road bike pedals – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.