Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • road bike brake pads
  • ed34
    Free Member

i'm finding my road bike pads are a bit lacking in stopping power (shimano pads that came with the Ultegra brakes). Not sure if its just because i'm used to riding the mountain bike + discs so much recently or if its the pads on the road bike, but i might try something else.

Anyone reccommend any decent road ones?

trail_rat
    Free Member

stock ones in my mavic ssc are shit hot ….doesnt help tht much though

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

swissstop pads work nice

aP
    Free Member

Swiss Stop Green

njee20
    Free Member

The 105 brakes on my commuter are rubbish, the Dura Ace brakes on my shiny bike are amazing, same (stock Shimano) pads on both, Swiss Stop are good, but aren't cheap! Checked your rims are nice and clean?

ratherbeintobago

Kool Stop salmons?

Andy

FuzzyWuzzy

kool stop salmons are as good as swiss stop greens and every bit as good (even in the wet) IME (and they're a fair bit cheaper, I've not found an LBS yet that stocks them though so you may have to revert to Wiggle etc.).

speaker2animals

Kool Stop or Swiss Stop seems to be the general consensus. The not sure what the pads on my TRP brakes are but they seem as good as I would expect from road caliper brakes.

Dura Ace better than 105? Are you really surprised? Do you mean that they are the original fitment pads on both model brakes or the exact same shoe that you have fitted to the bikes? I would be very surprised if the compounds used in the OE pads are the same. One of the ways money is saved is by changing materials as well as designs. And the cost difference between a poor 105 material and an ace Dura Ace material may only be 5p per shoe but when that is multiplied by a few thousand units it comes to lots of money. Especially when this is multiplied by all of the different model ranges and different parts that a company like Shimano manufacturs.

rootes1

Dura Ace better than 105? Are you really surprised?

i tried some dura ace inserts for a while – not amazing in the dry, awlful in the wet and wore out quickly – koolstop etc much better

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘road bike brake pads’ is closed to new replies.