Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rivington or Delamere?
  • phinbob

Hi,

I’m currently staying overnight in Chorley and have an 11:30 am meeting in Warrington. Fortune has it that my bike is stashed in the back of my car and I’m an early riser.

So looking around the interweb for somewhere to ride it looks like Rivington or Delamere – I don’t have much in the way of maps avaialable.

So – where to head for a cheeky 2hrs or so fo riding. I’m an XC jeyboy with a few gnarr pretentions….

bazza17
    Free Member

Rivington – follow the tyre tracks but your bike will be v. muddy afterwards

steve_b77
    Free Member

Delamere is tricky to find teh good stuff in unless you’re with a local rider.

Rivi – I don’t know

Junkyard
    Free Member

rivi if it was Friday I would go with you
    will post up a route bear with me

Vortexracing

Rivvy.

I find Delamere a pig to navigate round

phinbob

Cool thanks everyone.

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe.php?route=8
    This route is not what I am describing BTW but will give an idea of what I am suggesting I can go out Friday Am with you if you are still here if you wish

gives you rough idea The two highlights are ice cream run down from this landmark

and the san marino /belmont at 6 by the massive mast you cant miss.

Stop at top barn
    Go out top of car park and head uphill [ not saying go through gates there are lots !] bear lefttish and up hill to gate turn right on to road
    Ice cream to your left path through gardens to your right take that. up to top all the way watch the right hairpin at top ignore the gate in front of you at the top!
    head up to the tower follownf road
    . At the top on your left [ looking down to res – level with PIKE tower is a nice track down and nice views- is a route you may need to look to see it but obvious once you see it
    Down to gate turn left downhill on obvious road toward house keep going for about 1/4 mile and note gate on your left with obvious path up hill as you bear right in road[ if you see a car park you have gone [just] to far].
    Up this till you hit the road then up to the mast.
    Keep going past mast on the road. As road bears left see gate on you right which is belmont descent with nice views.
    Many drops off /steps and some double drops with some large ruts fun but can be testing at speed/first attempt. one of best descents there is IMHO
    Down to the bottom [ through gate into woods ] over gate and turn left onto road then first left by the pub
    Ride up to the top of longish climb and depending on time left to tower up obvious rough track/road or [less obvious] right to lead mines as per map
    Back up to tower do Ice cream run- huge rocks very rough andno obvious lines to pick [ under 2 hours ride].
    You can ride back up Belmont descent if you wish it will warm you up a bit and go off the other side if you prefer
    Back up climb on to road bear right to end and then turn right into dead end carpark then notice track to your left and follow – ride the deep steep gully downhill if you wish

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Both are good but you need to know where to ride.

For a simple follow the signs 2 hour ride I’d say head over to Llandegla.

phinbob

Thanks all. Llandegla would be good, but it’s a bit too far from here and then back to Warrington.

ozzy38
    Free Member

Bearing in mind its an half half hour drive from warrington to either places you’ve mentioned and only a extra 15 minutes to llandegla!

geoffj

Bearing in mind its an half half hour drive from warrington to either places you’ve mentioned and only a extra 15 minutes to llandegla!

He’s staying in Chorley, which puts Rivington about 2 miles out of his way en route to Warrington.

Anthem-X
    Free Member

Go rivi..if your starting from the lower barn..go up and head across the top past the big mast and do the Belmont decent down the other side..it’s worth it!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yep rivvy as he gets to drive after rush hour as well.

portlyone

plus one, Rivi

xherbivorex
    Free Member

slight hijack- johnnie, if my cold shifts in the next 24 hours i’d be up for a rivi ride on friday mate! still never been up there on a bike…

ozzy38
    Free Member

He’s staying in Chorley, which puts Rivington about 2 miles out of
    his way en route to Warrington.

Beer and geography is not my strong point!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

If its Friday am, im up for a meet, could take you on some fast routes at tempo for two hours, it would be a good work out I promise. 8)

Let me know. Jay

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

tempo ??

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

tempo, ie just under your threshold 😯

curlie467
    Free Member

[/quote]only a extra 15 minutes to llandegla!

that is pretty special if you can get from delamere to llandegla in 15 minutes!

Junkyard
    Free Member

xherbivore my mail is in profile

phinbob

Well it was raining pretty heavily here this morning so I’m ashamed to say I opted for a run instead 🙁

D0NK

kingkongsfinger – Member

tempo, ie just under your thresholdwho’s threshold? his or yours 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

kingkongsfinger – Member

tempo, ie just under your threshold
    who’s threshold? his or yours

Just under Margin Walkers, hes ready for the knackers yard ! 🙁

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rivington or Delamere?’ is closed to new replies.