Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ritchey WCS V4 pedals / different cleats to SPD?
  • PikeBN14
    Free Member

Looking at the Ritchey WCS V4 pedals for new bike, but have SPD's on other bikes, the cleats look similar in pics, but as there is no mention of SPD compatability I'm presuming they are different.

Can anyone confirm that?

Not rich enough to convert all bikes to Ritchey WCS V4 !!!!!

druidh
    Free Member

Ritchey cleats will work on Shimano pedals but you can have problems the other way around.

BTW – I used to run Ritcheys but found they didn't last long and are, basically, unserviceable. I fancy the new Ritchey Paradigms though as they've designed them to be user-serviceable. This corrects the only flaw I could find in an otherwise excellent, light-weight mud-shedding design.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Ok, so that could work.

I'm just being a tart really, they look so lush and with the new bike being rather bling they seemed to fit the bill, but so would £18 white Shimano M520's !!!

Thanks for the advice.

andrewh
    Free Member

I have used the Ritchey pedals and used the same shoes (and cleats) as on my Shimano XTR, 959 and 540 pedals no issues there.

However, I bought the Ritchey pedals last March, used only on the race bike, never in training, and by July the bearings were shot. Bought the XTR ones to go racing and they have been suberb, just as my 8yr old 959s have been. One Ritchey pedal went in the bin and the other is now creaking horribly on the comuting bike. Seems I had the same longevity issues as druidh, I would strongly advise against the Ritcheys.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Hmm, yes, the Paradigms are almost as light and as you say, serviceable. Chuck out the cheapy bearings they use to keep the cost down and bobs your uncle! Red also happens to fit in with my forthcoming colour scheme 😆

krixmeister

I had an old pair of Ritchey Ti-spindled SPD's (can't even remember the model, came on my 1997 S-Works Stumpie) – anyway they finally gave up the ghost after 10 years of use, mostly in Scotland. I had to service the bearings yearly, but other than that were great – so I haven't (yet) had the longevity issues others complain of.

Now running the WCS V4s. I had heard there was some issue with Ritchey and Shimano cleats, but I've always used Shimano cleats with Ritchey pedals – as now – with no problems. Maybe once the cleats are worn down enough it doesn't matter.

Anyway – I've been happy enough with Ritchey pedals in general, FWIW.

–Kristan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ritchey WCS V4 pedals / different cleats to SPD?’ is closed to new replies.