• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • r.i.p dane. dirt jump legend!
  • jedi

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aSpdpOdPeg[/video]

sambob
    Free Member

Seemed bombproof when he was riding, such a shame 🙁

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was he the one that tried to jump into the pool from a first floor balcony and missed?

stevede
    Free Member

bigyinn – not sure on specific details but yes it was an accident similar to what you said. RIP

matt_outandabout

Amazing talent, and seems all round nice chap.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ride In Peace. Legend!

soobalias
    Free Member

rip

theprawn
    Free Member

i had to look up how he died… i’m sure he was great on a bike but that’s a little bit Darwin awards isn’t it?

Such an unnecessary way for someone to die.

Gone too soon.

RIP

theprawn
    Free Member

exactly. what a shame.

GW
    Free Member
    neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Sydney Morning Herald reported that he’d been attempting to jump into the hotel pool below but missed, landing on the concrete and suffering critical head and back injuries.

😯

Trimix
    Free Member

Well at least he died doing what he loves – most of us will just fade away wearing a nappy and dribbling. Watching the clip of his massive 60 foot jump is inspiring. (and scary)

hugor
    Free Member

He didn’t die doing what he loves – he jumped out of a hotel ffs.
    Full credit for what he added to the sport. The clips are amazing.
    RIP

v8ninety

He didn’t die doing what he loves – he jumped out of a hotel ffs.

Fair point, but its the same sort of mentality, innit? Besides, if he’d made the pool, I’m pretty sure he’d have ‘loved’ it.

Respect to the envelope pushers of this world.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair point, but its the same sort of mentality, innit?

What? Stupidity?

Rich
    Free Member

If this story was about a random chav in Ibiza, he’d be getting a slating for being an idiot.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Exactly Rich. It’s a shame that the guy has died but just because he rode a bike well some folk on here seem to think the way he died was in some way cool and an indication of his awesomeness. He did something stupid and died because of it, not cool, not clever.

Watch out for GW abuse.

v8ninety

It was stupid. Of course it was stupid. But to a lot of people, launching yourself off a dirt ramp 30 to 40 foot in the air on a little steel push bike would be considered a bit daft too… I know I wouldn’t do it. No one ever get killed dirt jumping? What makes it Just so different to diving into water from an inadvisable high place? Both probably involve testosterone laden competitiveness, probably a dose of peer pressure, a relaxed attitude towards risk, kudos for pulling it off. As far as I can see, the main difference is that ones a recognised sport, the other is something that young men have been doing all over the world for years… Probably a lot longer than ‘dirt jumping’.

Without risk takers, we wouldn’t have sky diving, base jumping, wing suits, surfing… Mountain biking? Maybe… As I said, respect to the ones pushing the envelope. RIP.

Spin
    Free Member

What makes it Just so different to diving into water from an inadvisable high place?

There are lots of differences. Dirt is a lot softer than concrete. Many wipeouts from jumps end up sliding down a ramp which gives a less rapid deceleration. Dirt jumpers wear helmets. Dirt jumpers build up to such feats in small increments. Most people who do the activities you mention take every step possible to reduce risk or at least mitigate its effects. Those who don’t might look spectacular to the uninitiated but they usually end up dead and holding them up as examples is dangerous.

I make no judgement on which of the 2 camps Dane Searls fell into.

v8ninety

There are lots of differences.

of course there are. Thats not my point. My point is its a little hypocritical to criticise the bloke for attempting an adrenaline fueled stunt the sort of which people have been doing to impress since god invented water, high places, beer and girls to impress, whilst simultaneously putting him on a pedestal for jumping a pushbike high into the air whilst pulling off stunts. My point is that the mindset needed to do the one may well make the other seem attractive. My point is fair play to the bloke, and what a sad waste that he suffered an error of judgement with such drastic consequences.

FFS, do you not think people who jump into water ‘build up to it’ too? Of course, no one was ever killed on a BMX?

Spin
    Free Member

I can see where you are coming from in that adrenalin and testosterone might well be drivers of both but I see a world of difference between a well planned, well executed and skillful activity and jumping out a hotel window. Drawing paralells between the two like you are suggesting is what leads the public and media to assume that anyone who does these activities has a screw loose / some sort of death wish.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘r.i.p dane. dirt jump legend!’ is closed to new replies.