Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riding with a horse.
  • jackoinmoss
    Free Member

My wife likes horses quite allot and wants me to go along with her on her Sunday ride.

Not in a man v horse kind of way but just a tootle round the local bridleways.

Am I going to get kicked in the head? Will either of us get really bored waiting for each other?

Anyone tried such a wacky idea?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Am I going to get kicked in the head? Will either of us get really bored waiting for each other?

Shirley it’s your wife you need to be having this discussion with?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I overtook a horse recently while going up a steep hill. The horse sped up to keep up with me. The owner said it liked something to follow. Depending on the terrain I’d say the horse would be faster. Don’t get behind the horse and you won’t get kicked. Generally they’re docile but don’t like being surprised. Give it a go. What can go wrong?

I used to do it with an ex grrl friend around the Malverns.
    She’d ride her horse, I’d ride my bike and my dog would run along with us.
    No problems at all. Everyone soon learns to anticipate what the other is going to do. I’d move over and let her go on ahead up hill, she’d do the same for me down hill and the dog would just do his own thing.

cookeaa

probably best if you ride a horse too isn’t it? that’s probably what she’d really prefer…
    A horse will either plod along at about 1/4 bike pace, or gallop off at about twice the speed, you’ll not have much fun together like that…

Do her a deal, you’ll have a go at equestrian pursuits this weekend, and next weekend she comes a-Dandy-horsing with you… keeps everyone happy, it’s all about the compromises…

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Thanks for the the unusually sensible replies.

Have Discussed with the Wife and Got the oh he isn’t scared of bikes it will be fine response.

I was still a bit unsure but think we have a go and see how we get on.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

cookea,

I can’t ride a horse and it would take me about 5 years to get to a similar standard.

Just seemed like a compromise us going along the same trails rather than just heading off in different directions on a Sunday morning.

chiefgrooveguru

I did once with a friend when I was about 15. No-one died. Nowadays I ride horses too – they’re quicker uphill (especially when it’s smooth grass and flattish, that’s the horse equivalent of a great MTB descent, w0000t!)

Torminalis
    Free Member

Sounds like great fun. I am sure you will both have a hoot.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I tried this with an ex once too, I rode horses then rather than bikes.

It didn’t work. Me and the horse were quicker uphill, he and the bike were quicker downhill. Give it a go if the horse doesn’t get spooked by bikes, but IME it’s rather a mis-match.

spooky_b329

I ride with my gf and her horse. Obviously the horse will leaving me for dead on the uphills, and she won’t be able to keep up downhill. But its fine as you aren’t joined at the hip…right?!

If the horse is nervous around bikes, then going along on the bike is even more sensible as they will become accustomed to the bike.

My gf used to ride a friends horse and he used to try and race me on the bike, and used to get upset if I went a different way. The current horse isn’t as playful. During a temper tantrum last weekend she managed to stand on my back wheel whilst spinning around on the spot, no damage done luckily and more importantly the horse lost the ‘I want to gallop’ argument and was made to walk sensibly for a bit 🙂

The only stipulation when I ride with a horse is that we don’t do any uphills involving ploughed fields 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I go out with my good lady, me on the bike and her on the donkey occasionally. He likes to chase after me, and neighs if I go out of sight. Still ruins bridleways throughout the winter though, bastid animal.

llama

I can’t ride a horse and it would take me about 5 years to get to a similar standard

Is it that difficult? Used to ride when I was little and I don’t remember it being tricky

Kahurangi

Last time I ride round the lakes with Uncle/Cousin on MTBs and Aunt on a big horse. (Can’t remember what. Not shire horse big, but bigger than a thoroughbred).

When I let loose down an open track the horse decided it wanted to run with me.

Oh the hilarity of an uncontrolled gallop!

Aunt was not amused and the air was rather blue while she regained control.

corroded
    Free Member

Should be fun – give it a go. As for the bike vs horse, had this conversation with one of the many horse riders I meet regularly on local trails. Reckon bike quicker on singletrack and downhill, horse quicker on the flat and in most cases uphill. Saw a girl on a huge grey open the taps on a steepish hill and the ground shook. Awesome animals.

spooky_b329

Not shire horse big, but bigger than a thoroughbred

A cob 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a horse.’ is closed to new replies.