Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Riding out of Whitby
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    The inlaws have just moved to Whitby for a short period, and we're going to visit this weekend. I know there's loads of riding on the moors (which is great, but I'd need to waste time driving out to it), but is there any routes / trails out of the town centre worth doing?

Cheers!

sing1etrack

I'm not that local so don't know if there's any 'proper' trails on the edge of town, but there's always the old railway that runs to Scarborough (fairly obvious on the map) – not exactly technical though, but some nice views and a reasonable distance. Otherwise, Sneaton High Moor and the bridleways around Falling Foss are within rideable distance I'd say, though the road past Ruswarp through Sneaton attracts some inappropriately fast driving, so be careful!

sax_widby
    Free Member

hi, there is **** all that is legal. HOWEVER, if you would like to push your bike along a footpath…

bike to falling foss (once in the woods its decent, takes about 30mins), drive to dalby, drive to the woods near guisborough(good fof DH). There is a good loop between Goathland- Beck Hole- Grosmont- Egton- Rosedale and back… But it's all footpaths and littered with walkers, but some of the best 'pushing' i've had outside of the peaks…

the railway track to RHB is tedious, best avoided unless the aim to go to the many pubs there. The railway track north of sandsends to Runswick Bay is worth doing. You can visit 'the moon' and 'the tunnels' if you do some exploring…

Terra

Make your way to Ruswarp, then follow the road beside the river to Sleights, pick up the bridleway at Groves Hall and follow it to Grosmont. From Grosmont across the moor to Falling Foss, Sneatonthorpe, Stainsacre and back to Whitby.

traildog
    Free Member

Hmm. I love Whitby and been a few times and have just ridden from the village. I hate wasting time in cars. I'm afraid I couldn't tell you exact routes, but I just get an OS map and follow that. There are also well signposted cycle routes along gravel roads and ex-railway lines and these are useful for getting some distance. I've generally always found a decent-ish route.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Riding out of Whitby’ is closed to new replies.