Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Riding on a public footpath – the end if civilisation as we know it?
  • Legoman
    Free Member

I’m sure this has been done many times, but a quick search hasn’t helped.

Beautiful morning today so I went for a quick pootle with my 11yo lad around our village.
    I wanted to follow a new loop which needed us to use a few hundred yards of public footpath (according to my OS map) through a field to access some nearby woods. It goes nowhere really but a few local dog walkers use it and it does look reasonably well maintained.

The minute we arrived within a few feet of the gate an old duffer appeared from the farm opposite shouting the odds about cycling not being allowed. I took issue with him, not because I was sure he was wrong, but more because his attitude totally pissed me off. He really wound me up when he told me he gets paid to keep cyclists off the path (by who?).
    Anyway after a brief exchange of views we turned back – I didn’t want to upset my son or give the old guy a heart attack so avoiding a full blown confrontation seemed the best option. Hopefully he’ll sleep soundly in the knowledge that he protected a small section of the Hertfordshire countryside from a marauding mass of anarchic cyclists father & young son enjoying a Sunday morning pootle – well done sir!

Anyway, just curious to know – was he correct & were we breaking some obscure law by cycling on a public footpath? And who the hell pays these people to keep cyclists out of the countryside?

docrobster
    Free Member

Was he the landowner of the landowner’s agent do you think?
    If he was he could take you to court for the damage you caused when you trespassed on his land.
    If not it’s none of his business.

maxtorque

It is indeed “illegal” to ride your pushbike on a Footpath. However it is a purely civil matter, rather than a criminal one. What is less clear is if you are allowed to push, or carry your bike on a footpath?

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s been done a number of times on here, but the situation as far as I know it is:

He is right, although it would be a civil offence. Unless there is also a bye law covering the path.
    He cannot do anything to stop you unless he is the landowner or their appointed agent.
    He is a miserable git who gets off on making other people’s experiences less enjoyable.

The third point is always one that amazes me, but it happens so often that it shouldn’t.

You did the right thing and ultimately he is the one with the problem.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s only illegal if it’s a footway along side a road and not designated a cycle path, or if there’s a bylaw forbidding it, or if there’s a definite case if criminal damage (riding it is not criminal damage in the same way walking it is not, and the latter is sometimes more damaging).

Otherwise, if it says Public Footpath, then all that says is that pedestrians have a right of way.

Cyclists may still have permission however, but it’s down to the land owner. If they don’t, then it’s still down to the land owner to prosecute and it’s purely a civil matter, one of trespass, not criminal (not illegal, i.e. police are not involved, no criminal court, just a civil case).

Besides that, ask the guy if he ever walks off from a signed Public Footpath. Almost certainly he has, and in which case it’s the same level of trespass.

rickmeister

Get his name and address then invite him round to your local area to shout at drivers who are inevitably going more than 30 mph, if he feels so strongly about a particular legal position…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shite on his lawn.

nuke

I ride footpaths occasionally and, as confirmed from previous posts, I’m in the wrong and, if someone confronts me about it, I apologise and go back…I don’t blame them, start arguing with them or bemoan that they’re being grumpy gits…its a case of suck it up and remind myself how many times I’ve ridden FPs with no issue

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Go on your own next time, or with about ten mates & tell him to bog off & stop being a tit. I’m not condoning breaking the law but some people are just sad & pathetic.
    There’s a lot of FP’s in this country that never get used by any anyone & if they don’t get used by someone, they’ll be lost to everyone.

ninfan
    Free Member

i) You had no legal right to ride on the path, but
    ii) No laws were broken

Much as the PC side of me wants to quote official rules, I think that there’s a lot of areas where the best advice is just ride and be damned – view it as your own personal little protest against ridiculous laws made up by townies and enjoy the spirit of the rebellion – if anyone argues with you, just sing them a little song.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You should have just turned round and said the boys got a terminal illness and only a few weeks left… One of the things he wanted to do was just ride his bike round the village and explore. Even get the lad in on the act…”Don’t worry dad… I’ll always be riding by your side… Even when I’m gone……”
    Watch the old **** squirm.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

LOL @ Cloudnine. Love it!

Legoman
    Free Member

He cannot do anything to stop you unless he is the landowner or their appointed agent.

I think he might be the landowner, I asked him twice but he was a bit mutton & didn’t hear me.

He is a miserable git who gets off on making other people’s experiences less enjoyable.

I think he’ s this too

Legoman
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice (even yours Cloudnine!).
    I think nuke has the right attitude – it just sticks in the throat a bit when no harm was possibly being done.

Hey ho – bet we had a better morning than he did anyway!

dannyh
    Free Member

I don’t ‘fight back’ either. It wouldn’t do any good with a real misery anyway, nor would it improve the future situation. If it gets to the point where they actually take me to task, then I would go back. This has happened three times to me in eight years so is not something that keeps me awake at night.

I can always console myself with the facts that they must be miserable people if they want to spoil other peoples days, I have ridden there loads of times before, and I will do in future.

Smart-mouthing people generally doesn’t help. For example one old git said “right then, I’m going to drive my car at 80mph through the village as it doesn’t seem to matter about the rules”. Now I was sorely, sorely tempted to point out that it would be a criminal rather than civil offence, morally far worse and that he was being a pillock. Instead I just shook my head sadly and rode off.

Occasionally it can just too tempting if they get smart first. If someone says “can’t you read the signs that say no cycling?” I have occasionally replied with either “yes, but I chose to ignore them” or “yes, stupid isn’t it that you can’t ride bikes here?” But on most occasions just being a bit ‘grey’ and grudgingly apologetic before waiting for them to clear off before carrying on is the best policy.

I think the key is not to escalate it to a point where they remember it or get bothered enough to try to do something like getting the landowner involved. More often than not these people just need their little power fix and will then just go back to their mundane little lives.

None of this has stopped me in eight years. It won’t in the future, either.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Remember that many Public Footpaths only exists because of a deliberate act of trespass by walkers. Bikes have always been treated as the same as horses, and if you’ve ever tried to ride on bridleways ridden and churned up by horses, as bikes are limited to, you realise how ridiculous this antique law right of way situation is in England (unlike Scotland).

iainc

TGF ‘Land Reform Act’ 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

Best one I’ve ever seen:

Busybody old git walker: “this is a public footpath, you’re not allowed to ride a bike here”

Rider: “I know, silly isn’t it…”

😀

breadcrumb

I was stopped by a walker last weekend. It was on a section of “footpath” that provides access for vehicles so pretty wide.

He stood in my way, I stopped, he then told it was a footpath said the bridalway was above and started a rant, but said he was in no official position to enforce it. At which point I said “ah” and started to ride off.

The old **** only went and grabbed my arm! I then said the lamest thing I’ve ever said- “let go of my arm or I’ll contact he police.” If he hadn’t of been so old I might of shoved him off me. As I rode off he shouted if he saw me again he’d take my photo and give it to the police, so I turned and gave him a wave!

I won’t have any patience for any militant walkers in the future.

How would the STW massive of handled this? Bombers? Wee in shoes?

dannyh
    Free Member

Just say to him that he has assaulted you and criminal offence trumps civil. Offer to see him in court.

I doubt chinning him would end up with a good outcome for you, but it is always an option, mind.

crazy-legs

Best one I’ve ever seen:

Busybody old git walker: “this is a public footpath, you’re not allowed to ride a bike here”

Rider: “I know, silly isn’t it…”

A mate, riding a footpath one Christmas Day morning had the same “you’re not allowed to ride this” from some family, presumably out for their pre-Christmas lunch walk.

His inspired answer was that he was riding the trail for Baby Jesus. 🙂

The family were apparently too lost for words to respond to that one!

dannyh
    Free Member

P.S. He does sound like a bit of dangerous one to cross, though, as he seemed to have a more than passing knowledge of the law and the need to identify you in court. Just take the view that this guy really is going to have to stake out the path for hours on end if he really wants to do it.

He will have got off on this little confrontation, so he will be happy for the rest of the day. This is all you need to know about his mindset. He’ll probably big it up down the golf club after a few pints “there were two skinhead on mountain bikes…….” Before driving home pissed, of course.

thepodge
    Free Member

I once suggested to a mountain bike advocacy group who shall remain nameless that they get little business cards printed up with the highlights of the law printed on one side and an address for their website with more info regarding the law on the other. Cyclists could then pass these out to grumpy people to help educate the masses. I was laughed at.

convert

The sad thing is the definition between bridleway and footpath started to clarify the expectations on the landowner to provide facilities for access I.e. People on foot can manage with stiles whilst horse riders needs gates and greater vertical clearance. The militant red socks have got completely the wrong end of the stick.

It’s such a shame we can’t return to that initial understanding – I’d be more than happy to manhandle a bike over facilities intended for people on foot, but it would clear the totally unnecessary hassle from people it has absolutely nothing to do with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Much as the PC side of me wants to quote official rules

Best scribble ever – especially as you showed how PC you are by quoting the unfair hunting ban ..Chapeau.

I have never had a proper confrontation but have had the odd moan

Worst two i ever had were on Bridleways tbh. I never engage in conversation it is utterly pointless. Like thinking a road rage individual will be swayed by your fine use of logic and reason

butcher
    boxelder

Get off and push your bike – if he tries to prevent your public access, then he’s in the wrong.

paid to stop cyclists?

Tell him you’re from HMRC

freeagent
    Free Member

I ride footpaths from time to time..
    I honestly couldn’t care less about the legal position, life really is too short.

I cut my teeth arguing with fascist ramblers from the window of my Landrover (whilst driving completely legal Byways) so the odd mardy dog walker (who is often on shaky ground anyway) doesn’t really phase me..

I don’t see why we can’t all just get along…

Superficial
    Free Member

I have taken to just being utterly, impossibly, cheerful. If you’re nice, then they just look like a tit for confronting you and most people quickly realise they’re the one looking unreasonable. Often, these people are spoiling for a fight and being friendly just completely disarms them.

The most aggro I’ve had in recent weeks was on a bridleway. We were riding up a wide but tech climb, I’d like to say we were going at great speed, but that would be a lie. An old guy walking the other way stands to the side, and as we go past, we politely said “thank you.” To which his response was “I should bloody well hope so!” There’s no pleasing some people. They’re just destined to be miserable.

aracer
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/74449652[/video]

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I really don’t understand why there is such a problem with bikes on public foot paths.

To me pedalling a cycle is another form of walking. Seriously what is the difference from someone walking with a push chair across a field.

If anyone gets funny and tried to stop a cyclist accessing a path then surely instead of turning back the best option would be to walk and push/carry the bike.

A pedestrian carry something, whether it be shopping or a frame and wheels is no different in my eyes. These sad individuals who have nothing better to do than cause trouble really should get off their high horse and just get on and enjoy life the miserable s0ds.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I ride footpaths all the time and never have a problem. But you know what I do? I be Mr F@*king nice and polite. “Good morning” “thanks for holding your dog” “no…please after you”. Im happy they’re happy.

botanybay
    Free Member

This happened to me a few weeks ago. A fellow grabbed by arm as I was riding past and almost dragged me off the bike.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Old git with stick and trousers tucked into socks. “This is a footpath. Note the word, Foot!”
    Me. “Oh. Thanks, but we’re ok, we travel in meters.”
    A friendly smile as we politely moved on by and everyone giving a cheery and elevated, “Thank yooou..”
    He just kinda stood there bewildered.

speedstar

Without meaning to sound smug, this issue in particular makes me so glad to have been born north of the border. If anyone tells you to get off any footpath here, you can simply quote equal access and keep riding along. These laws are a symbol of a landed gentry that hasn’t been fully democratised yet. It is time the British government took the rights of English countryside users seriously. I actually think it’s a symbol of democracy which may not change whilst Dave Common Man or anyone like him and his cronies are still in power.

BillOddie

Round my way it’s less riding on footpaths but more riding a bike at all within the limits of Leicestershire’s Premier Deer Based Tourist Attraction and Dog Toilet.

The approach I generally take is similar to the above and just be super nice, 95% of the time this works.

In 4% of the time when challenged with “The signs say you can’t ride here… I answer with “Yep, silly isn’t it.”

1% if someone really wants an argument I’m willing to give one to them (What are they going to do? Ban me?) and enter into a discourse around the ridiculousness of access within said Park and how were are (more than likely) on a track used by horses and/or Landrovers (the Rangers are never seen without one). This generally proves a point shuts them up and I can move on unencumbered.

Has to be said I can count the really unpleasant confrontations due to riding in that park on one hand. Generally due to them being overly aggressive from the off and me standing my ground.

I’m really not sure how I would react if someone decided to put their hands on me during one of these confrontations. I would either laugh at them or react very badly (I have been known to have a little bit of a temper).

What tickles me slightly as 6ft1 well built bloke is that if these same people (more than half slightly built women) saw me say drop litter on a street or similar they wouldn’t dream of confronting me. Maybe I look friendlier on a bike because I’m smiling.

One thing I have found useful is on solo rides is to wear earphones off road (even if they aren’t plugged in) that way if someone makes a comment you can just assume they said Hello and replied with a cheery greeting.

dknwhy

This has happened to me a couple of times, most recently as I cycled across a huge, flat park near my house. 8am on a Sunday morning with barely a soul in sight, I nod and smile to greet this dog walker and the miserable old git says, “there’s no cycling here.” I just ignore him and carry on and then I get “selfish prick” shouted at me. His dog crapping on the grass was causing more harm than I was.
    I also got shouted at by a horse rider, “this is a bridleway don’t you know?”
    Me: “yes, that’s why i’m riding here and not on the footpath.”

bobbyspangles

Interesting reading the previous comments and some good points raised here.
    I find it very frustrating sticking to the rules especially as riding to me is a form of freedom but we do encounter these angry boxed in people-I just try and be nice.

richmtb

Next time you see him just tell them you are surveying the countryside for potential windfarm sites.

That should cheer them up

binners

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Riding on a public footpath – the end if civilisation as we know it?’ is closed to new replies.