Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 255 total)
  • Riding offroad without a lid on?
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

I think it's worth remembering that risk is subjective. No matter how much people would like you can't place an objective risk on anything where humans are in the loop, as the person's perception of risk will by default change the level of risk, which makes it nigh on impossible to come to any conclusion as to the risks of wearing or not wearing a helmet.

Secondly it's worth remembering that risk is culturally created (see http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/1712.html for further reading) and cultural theorists broadly catogorise people into 4 groups Individualists, Hierachists, Egalitarians and Fatalists.

Indivualists are enterprising 'self made' people, relatively free from control by others, and who strive to exert control over their enivorment and people in it. Their success is often measured by their wealth and the number of followers ther can command. The self-made victorian mill owner would make a good example of this.

Hierachists inhabit a world with strong group boundaries and binding presciptions. Social relationships in this world are hierichial, with everyone knowing his or her place. Members od caste-bound socities, soldiers and civil servants are exemplars of this category.

Egalitarians have strong group loyalities but little respect for externally imposed rules, other than those imposed by nature. Group decisions are arrived at democratically and leaders rule by force of personallity and persuasion. Members of religious sects, communards, and enviromental pressure groups belong in this category.

Fatalists have minimal control over their own lives. They belong to no groups responsible for the decisions that rule their lives. They are non-unionized employees, outcasts, untouchables. They are resigned to their fate and they see no point in attempting to change it.*

These groups form different views on the risk of a particualar task.

For Individualists the use of seat belts, helmets, sexual behaviour should be matters for individual discretion and not something of the 'nanny state'

Egalatarians, like indivualists oppose compulsion for seat belt and helmets, but tend to do so for other reasons, they argue that compelling people to wear helmets inhibits the use of an enviromentally benign form of transport and that seat belts and other measures to protect cars put cyclists and pedestrians at greater risk.

Hierachists believe that everything will be ok if things are properly managed and regulation for the collective good. If cyclists and motorists do not have the good sense to wear helmets and seatbelts then they should be compelled to do so.

Fatalists have no view of the subject because views are pointless as they won't change anything.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand – helmets. This thread, like all others on the subject is an argument between cultural viewpoints rather than an objective discusission of risk, in this case the Individualists and Egalatarians vs. the Hierachists (and some of the awkward Egalatarians).
    No useful conclusions will ever come from it and it will always be as constructive as debating 'labour or conservative, which is the best?' 🙂

* preciced from John Adams 'Risk'
    ps. Apologies for the numerous typos 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just adding a post because of the modulo 40 bug 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a tip: if you want to be read, keep it short please!

If it's just stream-of-consciousness then feel free to expand at length…

IanMunro
    Free Member

That was the short version!

mboy
    Free Member

I feel I need to post this as this is getting silly…

Put down the keyboard, step away from the computer, and go make yourself a cup of tea and watch the telly…

PLEASE!!! 😕

genesis
    Free Member

Yikes!

Wear one or don't the choice is yours, that's the beauty of living in a democracy – just wear one on my patch of trail please 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

May I post just once more?

BluePalomino
    Free Member

I'd happily ride anywhere off-road without a helmet in preference to riding a bicycle in traffic. Now that is an unacceptable risk.

that is spot on!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That was the short version!

eeek!

CountZero

So who rides without gloves on then?

mboy
    Free Member

May I post just once more?

Seems you did already 😉

I was aiming the comments at everyone TJ, not specifically you… I'm just laughing at how silly this has got now, from me asking a question as to why people don't feel the need to wear a helmet, to become a full scale slanging match by several vocal members of this forum!

You should all be politicians!!!

mboy
    Free Member

So who rides without gloves on then?

Not me, EVER!

I've hit my head a few times coming off, but I'd say 8 times out of 10 my hands take the brunt of any fall, and wearing gloves has kept a lot more skin on my hands than would have been there minus them! I still wear full finger gloves to ride XC in, even in the height of summer!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Full finger gloves always

westkipper
    Free Member

Mboy, you started it, Its no good trying to back out now, I hope you've learned your lesson 😀

Dickyboy

Mboy – love that cartoon can't stop sniggering

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 255 total)

The topic ‘Riding offroad without a lid on?’ is closed to new replies.